Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2014 3:49:46 PM EDT
What are some uses you guys have come up with for utilizing used cooking oil? First thing that comes to mind.....fuel for oil lamps perhaps?

The wife deep fries quite often and we usually deposited our used oil with the city. Now I'm seeking possible uses for this used oil.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the right kind of diesel vehicle, you could set it up to run on the oil...

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have the right kind of diesel vehicle, you could set it up to run on the oil...

http://green.ebay.com/green-driving/articles/French-Fry-Cars-Running-Clean-on-Waste-Vegetable-Oil/8409

View Quote

I was going to add, that I don't have a diesel vehicle, but left that out. I probably should have included it. Thanks for responding, though. Will definitely check that out anyways!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was going to add, that I don't have a diesel vehicle, but left that out. I probably should have included it. Thanks for responding, though. Will definitely check that out anyways!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://green.ebay.com/green-driving/articles/French-Fry-Cars-Running-Clean-on-Waste-Vegetable-Oil/8409

I wonder if a small amount of misc oil [incl used motor oil] could be added to a tank of ULS diesel, maybe in a ratio of 1 to 10 parts or so to reduce the cost per mile?

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I wonder if a small amount of misc oil [incl used motor oil] could be added to a tank of ULS diesel, maybe in a ratio of 1 to 10 parts or so to reduce the cost per mile?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking, maybe thin the cooking oil with kerosene for use in outdoor lamps and for use in starting fires in the fire pit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
mix it with bird seed and freeze  and hang it in the trees for the birds
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
mix it with bird seed and freeze  and hang it in the trees for the birds
View Quote

LOL....it's funny you say that. I was telling the wife she should save the fat from the turkey and duck from Thanksgiving, for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was thinking, maybe thin the cooking oil with kerosene for use in outdoor lamps and for use in starting fires in the fire pit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to start a fire, then there is really no need to thin or mix the cooking oil.  Used cooking oil is one of my very favorite starter fluids for starting the fire pit for get-togethers because it hangs in there and does not wimp out like commercial starter fluid.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want to start a fire, then there is really no need to thin or mix the cooking oil.  Used cooking oil is one of my very favorite starter fluids for starting the fire pit for get-togethers because it hangs in there and does not wimp out like commercial starter fluid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll try it straight then.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you live where it's warm you can pour it right in the tank.

For hay season dad strains it and dumps it right into the tractor tank.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I tossed some on brush piles before lighting them off.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This..  This is what i do..
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Got a barrel heater for the garage?
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tossed some on brush piles before lighting them off.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I roll up cardboard and soak it in oil for fire starters...

Also filtering and using in a diesel engine is a good use... you can get by with no mods to the engine if you only use a small amount. I would highly suggest you do some research before using in an ULSD engine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I roll up cardboard and soak it in oil for fire starters...
View Quote

Thought about this as well. Have done it with kerosene in the past.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#16]
How well would used cooking / frying oil burn in a hurricane lamp?

Of course , I think it would need any solids strained out prior to fueling the lamp.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I gonna just put this out there, but maybe you should look into healthier cooking methods that dont require repositories for grease.

Now that I've said it, i'm guessing that you could soak a few split logs in it and get your fires going much quicker.
Lube your trashcan gun
cooking oil (Yak Fat) is used by eskimos to prevent wind burn in winter.
There is a hippie site I just read that advocates using it to make soap. However since hippies dont shower, I am not really sure what this means.
Hippies also said to mix it with boric acid to make ant bait/poison
The hippies say that centrifuging it and then filtering and adding 1/5 to diesel is ok for old diesels. Say it will F up new diesels.

hippies
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 1:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do NOT do this without properly filtering (down to ~2-5 microns, most that do this use a centrifuge to filter it to 1-2 microns. At this point, you might as well run it as your main fuel, use the diesel to start the engine and get it to op temp) the oil first or you WILL destroy the injectors in a diesel. Fair warning, the injectors in diesel engines are not cheap either (talking about parts only, add labor and it goes up a lot).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top