Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2013 9:32:07 AM EDT
Okay, imagine this...the world has officially gone the SHTF route, with plagues, zombies, grizzly bears, and Jehovahs Witnesses constantly banging on your door, and because you now have to pile into the car and get the hell out of Dodge you open up your gun safe to grab the one rifle you'll need.  The one rifle with the most versatility to handle everything from zombie Jehovahs Witnesses to zombie grizzly bears.

Problem is, you have two rifles; one chambered in .223 (AR-15, MINI-14, or what have you) and one chambered in .308 (M1A, CETME, HK-91, FN-FAL, or what have you).  You can only pick one.  Which one do you pick?

YES, the AR-15 is lighter than most of the .308 throwers but you're not carrying it while marching out into the bushes like in Vietnam.  At worst you'll keep it hidden until someone forces you to introduce them to your little friend.   YES, the AR-15 carries more ammo and has a better rate of fire, but in most cases you'll need to fire two or three shots to neutralize something with an AR-15 that can be neutralized by the raw power of a single 7.62 shot.  YES, the .308 can punch clean through things that the .223 can't (cars, grizzlys, buildings, or what have you), but what are the odds we'll need to kill something hiding behind a Volkswagon?  In short, for every legitimate viewpoint for one, there seems to be an equally legitimate reason to go with the other.  So I ask you, what is the consensus here; in a SHTF situation, which one would be better, 223 or .308?  

Let the arguments commense.  I have no favoratism myself because I have both.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#1]
5.56 because I have more ammo for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Assumption: infinite ammo
If bunkered down OR on the move in open territory: 7.62
If on the move in closer quarters: 5.56

Good call having both, depending on the situation, you can choose your best option.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#3]
300 Blackout!!

For the Bug out bag/on-the-go, I'd choose a lighter ammunition for carrying larger quantities. The .223/5.56 barrel is better.

For taking a stand at home or in a shelter, where you can store larger amounts of heavy ammo and you're looking for a take-down, well placed shot... I'd go for the bigger bullet head of course. The .308's better for that.

But for a home defense rifle... Personally, I lean to the 300 AAC caliber.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
300 Blackout!!
View Quote

Best caliber ever for home defense!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#5]
People probably need to start thinking about battlefield recovery when selecting calibers for SHTF. The rifle ammo that will most likely be more plentiful to salvage will be 5.56mm/.223. Also, for sustainment, you'll need something that is efficient for the weight. I've humped an M-14 and the ammo for it in AF and will definitely pass on it now. 5.56 will kill you just as dead.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Both...
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
M1 in 30-06 for the win. I have the most ammo for it including AP that can shoot through more than just a Volkswagen.
I do like my 300BLK but I just don't have enough ammo and while the 5.56 if fine for Jehovah's Witnesses, it is way too light for bear / moose / humvees.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Okay, imagine this...the world has officially gone the SHTF route, with plagues, zombies, grizzly bears, and Jehovahs Witnesses constantly banging on your door, and because you now have to pile into the car and get the hell out of Dodge you open up your gun safe to grab the one rifle you'll need.  The one rifle with the most versatility to handle everything from zombie Jehovahs Witnesses to zombie grizzly bears.

View Quote
a movie gun that doesn't needs reloads and never misses.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Forbidding having to leave this perfectly, defensible, mountain top.
There's quite the heavy, load out for the OLP Clan.
My 7.62 is only 26" and can be fired while driving.  Especially, if I wish to blow out the remainder of my ear drums and fillings .

I've REALLY lost track of my ammo purchases over the last 10 years. I think I've been sleep-buying.
Unfortunately, it also denotes the fact that I have only trained within the scope of the job, on their dime, with their ammo. (Which I kept, and fired off Wolf /Dynamit -9mm)
A 3-gun would be buckshot through my ego at this time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
300 Blackout!!

I agree.  A suppressed 300 BLK could come in handy during a SHTF situation
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#11]
5.56  if I can only have one.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
You're more likely to find .223/5.56 if you're on the move. Like others have said, if moving a SBR chambered in 5.56 but if defending the fort a 7.62 platform AR.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're more likely to find .223/5.56 if you're on the move. Like others have said, if moving a SBR chambered in 5.56 but if defending the fort a 7.62 platform AR.
View Quote

Can you guarantee you're defending? SHTF is planning g for the worst right?

Just sayin......
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
5.56  if I can only have one.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just sayin......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin......

If you are defending you can have both, and then take the 5.56 with you if you are forced to displace.

If I could only have one, it would be the 5.56
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you are defending you can have both, and then take the 5.56 with you if you are forced to displace.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just sayin......

Heh, if we're doing both- I'll keep my 5.56 and raise you foo-gas for defense
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In your AO, which ctg can you most likely re-supply?

The M1A and M1 take specific ctgs that are unlike most sporting rifle ctgs .  This can be overcome by gas plug adaptors with high-powered civvy ammo, or by using GI-equivalent civvy ammo, but you will have to re-zero with each ctg that differs from USGI.

The 5.56 mil ctg, OTOH, is relatively higher pressure compared to most civvy .223 ctgs.  In this case, the rifle has to be certified to accept both civvy rds, and the (generally) higher pressure mil rds.  (.223 vs. 5.56).

Point is that you will eventually run out of ammo, and have to re-supply.  What ammo is  the [b]long-term[/I] best seller in your locale/  Ask around at every ammo seller and then think about the answers.
View Quote

I'd think less in terms of sellers or stores and what is on hand. Who is the biggest ammo purchaser and what is their most common caliber? That's your answer.

Btw, you sound British.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If by 'sound British" you mean trying to be exact in my wording, I will take that as a compliment.  If not, I have an ancestor who fought against the Brits during the RevWar.  Take yer pick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M1A and M1 take specific ctgs that are unlike most sporting rifle ctgs .  This can be overcome by gas plug adaptors with high-powered civvy ammo, or by using GI-equivalent civvy ammo, but you will have to re-zero with each ctg that differs from USGI.

The 5.56 mil ctg, OTOH, is relatively higher pressure compared to most civvy .223 ctgs.  In this case, the rifle has to be certified to accept both civvy rds, and the (generally) higher pressure mil rds.  (.223 vs. 5.56).

Point is that you will eventually run out of ammo, and have to re-supply.  What ammo is  the [b]long-term[/I] best seller in your locale/  Ask around at every ammo seller and then think about the answers.

I'd think less in terms of sellers or stores and what is on hand. Who is the biggest ammo purchaser and what is their most common caliber? That's your answer.

Btw, you sound British.

If by 'sound British" you mean trying to be exact in my wording, I will take that as a compliment.  If not, I have an ancestor who fought against the Brits during the RevWar.  Take yer pick.

Probably that or chalk it up to Friday libations. I give my (British) wife grief about her over-enounciation too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's all good.  Nothing wrong with Brit ancestry; probably better than many, I reckon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Btw, you sound British.

Probably that or chalk it up to Friday libations. I give my (British) wife grief about her over-enounciation too.

It's all good.  Nothing wrong with Brit ancestry; probably better than many, I reckon.

Definitely take it over quite a few others...
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll have to say 5.56 for the win. It may not be the best at a particular thing, but it is versatile enough to do most things well. Also love how there is little weight to carry and little recoil to deal with. An AR in 5.56 is a round/weapon combo that is easy to learn to shoot well. In reality, you can only fire one rifle at a time (unless you're on a Hollywood movie) so take the one that can do the most things. 5.56 fits the bill for me. Never had any issues with it during my 3 combat tours.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#25]

If I had to leave our live in BOL.....

Kills any 2 or 4 legged critters around here. Ammo is lighter. National Guard armory is not far... just sayin'.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I got my '73 Winchester in 44-40 , two .44 Peacemakers, water, and a fast horse. Good enough for the Duke, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#27]

IMO stick with what every you shoot the best.

For me a 5.56 AR 15 is easier to get hits on target, even from positions where I can't get a shoulder behind the stock.

What ever you choose get out and shoot the dame thing, it will give you much better info than what you can read on the Internet.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The M1A and M1 take specific ctgs that are unlike most sporting rifle ctgs .  This can be overcome by gas plug adaptors with which to use high-powered civvy ammo, or by using GI-equivalent civvy ammo, but you will have to re-zero with each ctg that differs from USGI.

Point is that you will eventually run out of ammo, and have to re-supply.  What ammo is  the long-term best seller in your locale/  Ask around at every ammo seller and then think about the answers.

This process is only delayed by reloading or stockpiling.
View Quote

Ported Gas Plug

With this one you can shoot just about any type of 30-06 you want and doesn't require adjustment. Re zeroing is a factor when you change bullet weight in any caliber. 55gr. is not going to hit the same place as 77gr. either. The thing I noticed was that you could get 30-06 during the Panic when .308 and 5.56 were unavailable. The other thing that appeals to me is the availability of Armor Piercing ammo and hunting ammo in addition to the mil surplus at $0.50 around. Then there is the effective range and barrier penetration advantage that 30-06 has.

But then I live in my BOL. Maybe if I had to carry it my opinion would be a little different.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got my '73 Winchester in 44-40 , two .44 Peacemakers, water, and a fast horse. Good enough for the Duke, good enough for me.
View Quote

There is something that makes you feel like a real man in that combination. But I prefer .45 Colt

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#31]
5.56 all day with a heaver bullet. Something in the 75 or 77grain flavor.

End of story.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#32]
For the most part I figure either one will do the job.

I picked a fal.

If I am moving I am concerned about vehicles and people wearing body armor.

I decided on a military platform using 7.62x51.

It works for me.

You do need to pay attention to bullet weights but the fal lets you shut down the gas system if your scronged ammo is heavy.  You do want to read up on operating pressures of the 308 ammo vs. 7.62x51 ammo as well.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Problem is, you have two rifles; one chambered in .223 (AR-15, MINI-14, or what have you) and one chambered in .308 (M1A, CETME, HK-91, FN-FAL, or what have you).  You can only pick one.  Which one do you pick?

YES, the AR-15 is lighter than most of the .308 throwers but you're not carrying it while marching out into the bushes like in Vietnam.  At worst you'll keep it hidden until someone forces you to introduce them to your little friend.   YES, the AR-15 carries more ammo and has a better rate of fire, but in most cases you'll need to fire two or three shots to neutralize something with an AR-15 that can be neutralized by the raw power of a single 7.62 shot.  YES, the .308 can punch clean through things that the .223 can't (cars, grizzlys, buildings, or what have you), but what are the odds we'll need to kill something hiding behind a Volkswagon?  In short, for every legitimate viewpoint for one, there seems to be an equally legitimate reason to go with the other.  So I ask you, what is the consensus here; in a SHTF situation, which one would be better, 223 or .308?  

Let the arguments commense.  I have no favoratism myself because I have both.
View Quote

Because in real life, targets stand stationary and out in the open with a blank stare waiting for you to shoot it.  

Most likely they're behind cover and you'll need to break down that cover.  7.62 is the caliber for the job to break down covers.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
5.56 all day with a heaver bullet. Something in the 75 or 77grain flavor.

End of story.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no question to the fact that 5.56 has historically left an awesome pile of dead.

But.....

Body armor is more common nowadays. I feel bullet penetration in a SHTF scenario would be paramount. Especially when engaging targets behind cover and/or wearing armor.

The 5.56 has a tough time punching cover material the 7.62 just sails through.

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I had to leave our live in BOL.....

Kills any 2 or 4 legged critters around here. Ammo is lighter. National Guard armory is not far... just sayin'.

View Quote

And the NG is going to supply you? Or you planning to raid the place? You're barking up the wrong tree in either case.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There is no question to the fact that 5.56 has historically left an awesome pie of dead.

But.....

Body armor is more common nowadays. I feel bullet penetration in a SHTF scenario would be paramount. Especially when engaging targets behind cover and/or wearing armor.

View Quote

Is that comparing apples to apples?  I ask because that is often citend when comparing 55gr 5.56 FMJ with 147gr 7.62 FMJ.  The FMJ in 5.56 is smaller and moving much faster so it fragments while the 147gr FMJ does not, so it isn't really comparing the same ammunition type even though both are military ball ammo.  

As for body armor, soft body armor is easily defeated by either caliber.  I'm not aware of a class of hard armor plates that will reliably stop 5.56 but that .308 will readily penetrate.  In fact, the opposite can be true.  Many steel plates will stop .308 but the high velocity of light 5.56 rounds like M193 will allow them to penetrate.  Meanwhile some of the polymer plates will stop the high velocity 5.56 and .308 but the SS109 bullet used in M855 5.56 ammo will penetrate.

While a .308 is unquestionably better at penetrating cover than 5.56 the difference seems to be frequently overstated.  If you take similar bullet types (fragmenting vs fragmenting, bonded vs bonded, AP vs AP) the difference is still readily apparent but it isn't as dramatic as some believe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Is that comparing apples to apples?  I ask because that is often citend when comparing 55gr 5.56 FMJ with 147gr 7.62 FMJ.  The FMJ in 5.56 is smaller and moving much faster so it fragments while the 147gr FMJ does not, so it isn't really comparing the same ammunition type even though both are military ball ammo.  

As for body armor, soft body armor is easily defeated by either caliber.  I'm not aware of a class of hard armor plates that will reliably stop 5.56 but that .308 will readily penetrate.  In fact, the opposite can be true.  Many steel plates will stop .308 but the high velocity of light 5.56 rounds like M193 will allow them to penetrate.  Meanwhile some of the polymer plates will stop the high velocity 5.56 and .308 but the SS109 bullet used in M855 5.56 ammo will penetrate.

While a .308 is unquestionably better at penetrating cover than 5.56 the difference seems to be frequently overstated.  If you take similar bullet types (fragmenting vs fragmenting, bonded vs bonded, AP vs AP) the difference is still readily apparent but it isn't as dramatic as some believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no question to the fact that 5.56 has historically left an awesome pie of dead.

But.....

I would agree that the 7.62 vs. 5.56 penetration argument  can and has been overstated. But from a civilian standpoint in a SHTF event (no air/fire support,wheeled/tracked armor etc etc) fending off the malcontents 7.62 does provide the overall penetration advantage. I would tend to believe the bad guys would be utilizing anything and everything for ballistic protection.

In no way am I saying the 5.56 is a piddly varmint round,I own several top notch carbines and  tailored my ammo choices based on
proven track records.  IMHO 7.62 would be the better choice when you expect trouble on the TEOTWAWKI level.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would agree that the 7.62 vs. 5.56 penetration argument  can and has been overstated. But from a civilian standpoint in a SHTF event (no air/fire support,wheeled/tracked armor etc etc) fending off the malcontents 7.62 does provide the overall penetration advantage. I would tend to believe the bad guys would be utilizing anything and everything for ballistic protection.

In no way am I saying the 5.56 is a piddly varmint round,I own several top notch carbines and  tailored my ammo choices based on
proven track records.  IMHO 7.62 would be the better choice when you expect trouble on the TEOTWAWKI level.
View Quote

I can't disagree with that statement.  A .308 is definitely more capable than a 5.56 in just about every way except weight and capacity.  I was just pointing out that the difference is often overstated.

The main reason I would grab one of my 5.56 guns over one of my .308 guns has more to do with trigger time than anything else.  I carry a 5.56 at work so that is what I train with the most by a significant margin.  I have thousands more rounds through my 5.56 platforms than I have through my .308 platforms.  As a result I'm more confident with them and would be more comfortable relying on them in such a situation.  The lighter weight and greater capacity for load out is just a nice side benefit if I'm not stationary.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
300 Blackout!!

I like it for woods carry also.

With a 125 grain bullet  (2100 fps) from a 9" barrel, I can take game out to 200 yards

and with 220 g Bullet I can add my suppressor and do what ever else needs to be done.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
AR-15 for mobile use/on foot and AR-10 for BOL defense, like many here. Loads are either M193, M855 or 62gr TSX depending on the situation and either 168gr SMK's or 147gr FMJ again depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 9/21/2013 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I'll be grabbing my MWS.

7.62> 5.56

Link Posted: 9/21/2013 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#43]
More than likely you will not be looking for a fight. 762 nato loses all its advantages inside say 300 yds. So you are prob going to hide from anyone more than 50 yds away.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 3:27:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Not much you can't do with a 5.56 in my AO.
Lighter, cheaper, less recoil, easier to find mags, more optics choices. Reliably platforms. Everything is a compromise in the end.
I'd take a 5.56 because I shoot it better and just about everyone in my family can shoot it...
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#45]
ill take my 762x39...AK.

when i run dry well.. then i'll pick up whats there. if that means switching to an 556 then so be it.  cuz yall talking shtf ...picking up ammo etc. if your doing that theres gonna be a rifle or two laying around.

my 762x51 rifle is staying at the bol...ive humped it a few times with load outs ..to big and heavy for the swamp/woods we have here. though it will punch thru 90% of what is in my AO structure wise..distances shot would be 15 yards to 100..150 stretching it (roads etc)

AK best of both worlds down here honestly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 4:26:38 AM EDT
[#46]
grizzly bears?  308.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd grab the 5.56 AR. It has the best chance of finding parts and ammo in the US. Weight is a big deal too. You can only pack so much, whether it is in a vehicle or pack. So get the most rounds you can in that given space/weight requirement. I love my 308's, but on long term on the move favors 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 5:17:27 AM EDT
[#48]
5.56.  Besides all the other good reasons already listed, it is so easier to shoot.  Even a shot in the limb is going to be good enough, in most cases, to end a threat.  You think there is going to be trauma centers open, ambulances available, and combat lifesaver veterans running around everywhere?
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 5:40:53 AM EDT
[#49]
7.62x39 for the AK's and SKS and 7.62x54 for PSL's and VEPR's. Why? It is what I have the most of and I can stack it deep for cheap which I have been doing over quite a few years. I am comfortable with those calibers and platforms and if you stock enough you don't have to worry about scavenging. If it comes to the point where you are scavenging ammo from fallen enemies then there is probably a rifle to grab too.

Get whatever you are comfortable with and shoot best, then stack a metric shit ton of ammo and mags for your chosen caliber and weapon system.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#50]
10.5" 556 or 8" .300blk. If you could guarantee I didn't have to hump it, 13" SCAR 17

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top