Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 6:34:56 PM EDT
NPR Fresh Air
"I call it a game," he says, "because it makes it easier to talk about as a game — but it's something we play with dead seriousness in my family — we would wonder who would hide us in the Holocaust."

Englander, a fourth- or fifth-generation American, says despite his family's longstanding roots in the United States, they frequently played the mind exercise when he was little.

"We really were raised with the idea of a looming second Holocaust, and we would play this game wondering who would hide us," he says. "I remember my sister saying about a couple we knew, 'He would hide us, and she would turn us in.' And it struck me so deeply, and I just couldn't shake that thought for all these years, because it's true."

Englander grew up on Long Island in the mid-1970s, where he and his sister both attended a religious day school. The rabbis at the school would tell them graphic stories about the Holocaust and the Inquisition. At home, his mom wasn't much better.

Interesting mental exercise.  I wonder if his parents were preppers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
They couldn't hide at my place.  That would be like fighting to get a better place in the line waiting for the cattle cars.  

Comes the time they start rounding up folks, it's time to dig up the guns and start filling slit trenches with JBTs.

And with the way things are going these days, it's sadly not the least likely thing looming on the horizon.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone should think about things like that, good to have an idea of what people would be like in any number of scenarios. Particularly emergencies. It would seem to be a given that Jewish folks were serious preppers, but many are anti gun though, some, astonishingly actual holocaust survivors. Notably the late congressman Tom Lantos.

Anyway, the quote "who would hide us" reminded me of a documentary called, (Hiding and Seeking). Its on netflix instant. A Jewish man go`s to Poland to visit the family who hid his grandfather during the war. The grandsons ask their grandfather if he would have hidden the Polish family had the roles been reversed. He said no, the risks were too great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#3]
They should be asking....who will train us.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They couldn't hide at my place.  That would be like fighting to get a better place in the line waiting for the cattle cars.  

Comes the time they start rounding up folks, it's time to dig up the guns and start filling slit trenches with JBTs.

And with the way things are going these days, it's sadly not the least likely thing looming on the horizon.

yup - Never thought it could hapen here, but it could happen here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
NPR Fresh Air
"I call it a game," he says, "because it makes it easier to talk about as a game — but it's something we play with dead seriousness in my family — we would wonder who would hide us in the Holocaust."

Englander, a fourth- or fifth-generation American, says despite his family's longstanding roots in the United States, they frequently played the mind exercise when he was little.

"We really were raised with the idea of a looming second Holocaust, and we would play this game wondering who would hide us," he says. "I remember my sister saying about a couple we knew, 'He would hide us, and she would turn us in.' And it struck me so deeply, and I just couldn't shake that thought for all these years, because it's true."

Englander grew up on Long Island in the mid-1970s, where he and his sister both attended a religious day school. The rabbis at the school would tell them graphic stories about the Holocaust and the Inquisition. At home, his mom wasn't much better.

Interesting mental exercise.  I wonder if his parents were preppers.

I would have thought the Jewish people would have learned, this is not an effective tactic.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I seem to recall that the majority of Jews are also Democrats.  There would seem to be a few blind spots in their teachings that preclude learning from very costly mistakes.

Of course, there's no denying the power of propaganda.  I've actually met Jews who denied there was ever a holocaust.  Claimed it was all a huge scam perpetrated by the western military industrial complex to foment a war with Germany and that the gas chambers were a myth.

There's a reason the second word of "Useful Idiots" is what it is.

That being said, I'm a proud Irish Catholic (lapsed) member of JPFO

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]
'He would hide us, and she would turn us in

This is the part that gets me....  I would find this family more dangerous to me if I needed to hide than one where I knew all members would turn me in.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:27:56 AM EDT
[#8]
This guy should have been asking where are they gonna hide and not who will hide us... We have guns now :)

God Bless America and the 2nd Amendment!
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:32:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I seem to recall that the majority of Jews are also Democrats.  There would seem to be a few blind spots in their teachings that preclude learning from very costly mistakes.

Of course, there's no denying the power of propaganda.  I've actually met Jews who denied there was ever a holocaust.  Claimed it was all a huge scam perpetrated by the western military industrial complex to foment a war with Germany and that the gas chambers were a myth.

The Majority of jews are not democrats half of us are as stupid as have the non-jews..  The majority of jews in NY and other liberal states are democrats. where i live in most people are Republicans / Converatives that includes the jews...
My family / extended family has not even a single democrat.

I have never heard a single jew say the holocaust never happened.... Every "born" jew has a family member that were killed during ww2. Maybe those jews you talked to are meth heads :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Majority of jews are not democrats half of us are as stupid as have the non-jews..  The majority of jews in NY and other liberal states are democrats. where i live in most people are Republicans / Converatives that includes the jews...

My family / extended family has not even a single democrat.

I have never heard a single jew say the holocaust never happened.... Every "born" jew has a family member that were killed during ww2. Maybe those jews you talked to are meth heads :)
Good to hear that the trend is not so advanced as I had feared.  Still, with that kind of background, half is an incredibly large percentage!  Religion is kind of hard to ignore when you KNOW the devil exists. (to make an allegory)
As for the deniers, the one I can remember most clearly seemed otherwise lucid.  I was discussing a book I was writing with a friend in a truckstop restaurant and this guy invited himself into the conversation.  Now, I cannot say that I asked for proof that he was an authentic Jew, but the discussion got quite heated towards the end, and my friend hustled me out of the place before the cops could be called.  The guy was dressed normally for the time–– no visible tattoos and he had a thick head of hair, so if he was a skinhead trying to cast doubts, he was hiding it pretty good.  His age will have had him born well after the end of the war, though (I'm guessing mid-late '60s looking through the wayback machine)  

See, I've actually been to one of the camps and seen the ovens.  Back in the '70's when I was active duty in Germany.  I was a truck driver and we had standing orders that we did not pass the camps without going in.  I don't know if those orders were army wide, but in our company, at least, you didn't just motor on by. Command wanted us to be sure that we knew what we were wearing those green clothes for.

Later, I found out that one of my College instructors had been in one of the units who'd liberated at least one of the camps.  The hatred that came over his face when he started talking about those experiences is something you'd have to see to believe.  He told tales of how his unit treated prisoners after that liberation that amounted to little more than summary execution (if they found the tattoo, which they actively looked for).

Sorry for the off topic rant, but the incident still riles me.  It happened, and it's rolling around to happen again.  Hopefully, the next time, we'll jump on it quicker.  But people being people...

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
A little off topic, but if you search for Corie Ten Boom, The hiding place,  you can hear a really amazing story. People at their finest helping others survive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

JPFO Life Member here, brother.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A little off topic, but if you search for Corie Ten Boom, The hiding place,  you can hear a really amazing story. People at their finest helping others survive.

I read that in high school.

Then again, someone dropped dime on Anne Frank.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I knew I man, he has passed on, he was an armour captain in WW2....he liberated camps, then he was in charge of monitoring the Jewish population in  Munich. He was responsible for arranging for many Jews getting to Israel. He served as a Chaplain on Air America, eventually retiring as a Col. to be a minister. He told me about the war....after I promised to never disclose it.  It was a tough time, there were many Germans who helped Jews, most Germans were not Nazis. They were merely trying to survive. He did investigate many members of the SS....they had a high level of being shot trying to escape.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This guy should have been asking where are they gonna hide and not who will hide us... We have guns now :)

God Bless America and the 2nd Amendment!

You said it better then I ever could.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
My Danish grandmother's neighbors weren't so lucky in WWII.  They were Jewish, and the SS / Gestapo found them, took them by force at night, and they were never seen again.  Governments (in this case Nazi Germany) that go on witch hunts are a dangerous and scary thing.  I believe no government is immune from this, not even ours, since human beings are easily corruptible, and can do nasty things to each other when given the power, means, and an excuse.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yup - Never thought it could hapen here, but it could happen here.

It did, after a manner....just further back than we're talking and for a different cause.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_Railroad
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I knew I man, he has passed on, he was an armour captain in WW2....he liberated camps, then he was in charge of monitoring the Jewish population in  Munich. He was responsible for arranging for many Jews getting to Israel. He served as a Chaplain on Air America, eventually retiring as a Col. to be a minister. He told me about the war....after I promised to never disclose it.  It was a tough time, there were many Germans who helped Jews, most Germans were not Nazis. They were merely trying to survive. He did investigate many members of the SS....they had a high level of being shot trying to escape.

What escapes most Americans nowadays is that in the early days of the Nazi takeover, it looked very benign. The average German was prepared to sacrifice some of his 'freedoms' to stabilize a truly terrible economic and social situation. (Sound familiar?) Then as time went on, more and more civil liberties were lost, and the average German was incapable of doing anything about it.

Watch the movie "Judgement at Nuremburg" for the background on this. Judges were required to swear oaths of personal fealty to Hitler (NOT to Germany) or lose their jobs. (Sound familiar?)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]
The irony is there were Jews involved with the early Nazis.....no one had a clue how insane Hitler would become. He took strides to rebuilding the German economy, bringing back national pride after WW1 and a depression
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:48:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The irony is there were Jews involved with the early Nazis.....no one had a clue how insane Hitler would become. He took strides to rebuilding the German economy, bringing back national pride after WW1 and a depression

And then there was George Soros, who considers it one of the best times of his life.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#21]
He is a creep to end all creeps....once KGB always KGB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top