Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 8:13:36 AM EDT
Anyone give any thought about having these?
My employer recently had me go to a job site that has Sulfuric acid. The only way I could enter the area was with  full chem garments from head to toe (supplied by my employer), no respirator needed just a face shield.
Curious about what all this suite could provide protection from I did some research and pulled the data sheet.
The suite is a Dupont Tychem CPF3, what caught my attention on the data sheet was the Chemical agents that the suite can provide protection from, of course a good respirator or gas mask would be needed also.
Here is a list of Chem warefare agents in the data sheets that the suite can prodive protection from, it also gives you amount of time the suite can provide that protection.
1) Sarin
2) Soman
3) Sulfur Mustard
4) Lewisite
5) VX Nerve Agent

So, what do you think? Would there be enough risk to keep something like this in your preps?
I just asked our safety guy what this suite cost, I was told about $500, This would not be tops on my list of prep items to buy first.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Chemical suits like the one you described are rather dependent on the chemicals that they will be exposed to.

They do make suits that will cover most common bio chem threats but they usually require SCBA or liine air

Now I wouldn't turn down a tychem yellow suit for the preps but then you need the mask and the filters to go along with it,, the gloves, boots etc; and even then I would only trust it as a last ditch for SHTF
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
probably just depends on your AO.  living out in BFE, there is less chance of you running into any situation that requires a chem suit.  in a big city, or near a chem facility, it would be way way up on my list of preps to acquire.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I do have the gloves, boots and a full hood with this one, This could be something I can keep in my truck and not at work. There are some chem plants in the area with trucks and a pipe line, so having this in my vehical with a good respirator could be something to think about.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The chem suits have such a limited lifespan once out of the package that I'd consider them a bad investment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear it for getting the duck out of fodge, I think that would be the best thing to do. And yes it would take to long to put this thing on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#10]
If you work in a major industrial or urban center (like Houston) it might be a good idea to have the following stored close by in your office, or truck if you are a mobile worker.  With a little practice, the suit, mask, gloves, and boots can be donned in well under a minute.

Gas Mask Scott Promask 40 / M98 1 $149.00
Gas Mask Filter Scott 40mm CBRN cannister 2 $33.10
NBC Suit Zytron 300 Coverall w/ Hood tan 1 $48.80
NBC Gloves North Mil Spec Butyl Gloves 1 $29.80
KI Rad Tablets Nuclear Anti Radiation Tablets KIO3 170 mg 1 $14.95

http://www.labsafety.com/kappler-zytron-300-coveralls_24532425/
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
to pile on, if you have to have a suit to survive, you will need a full decon to get out of it.  Do you have that support all the time?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top