Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 11:30:35 AM EDT
I ordered three boxes of 300 diamond green tip strile anywhere matches. Ordered them from amazon vendor. They were shipped in a plastic bubble wrapped lined envelope. Shipped tp PO box. Got them here to shop and opened envelope to see what was in it. Imidiatley smelled sulfar. Pulled them out they were all plastic wrapped as one brick. Lots of debie in bag. cut plastic off them and an entire box had cooked off. Cant even imagine how the other two boxes didnt go but they are fine. This could have been much worse for some one.

this is the plastic they were wrapped in. Nothing but a small melted hole.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
not enough o2 to sustain the fire?
Wow, that could have been bad!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember that happening to my mom when I was a kid. Brought a box home from the store and they fell off the counter and that was all it took. It was all contained in the box but was still cool as hell to watch as a kid!
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting. I'm immediately at odds with my conscience on this one. Would I alert the manufacturer, as well as the Amazon vendor?  Or, would I keep my mouth shut and order more, knowing full well its only a matter of time before they will no longer be available?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very interesting. I'm immediately at odds with my conscience on this one. Would I alert the manufacturer, as well as the Amazon vendor?  Or, would I keep my mouth shut and order more, knowing full well its only a matter of time before they will no longer be available?

THIS––> Keep my mouth shut and order more right away!!!!!

stasiman
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought that strike anywhere matches were already restricted shipping?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, that could have been real bad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope they weren't shipped air mail.
From what I understand you're not supposed to bring a state, process, or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame on a heavier-than-air aircraft kept aloft by the upward thrust exerted by the passing air on its fixed wings and driven by propellers, jet propulsion, etc.

I'm also surprised the other 3 packs didn't go up with the first. Could have made a big problem somewhere..
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Word gets out on that and those matches will be unavailable without an explosives permit, a haz mat permit, a haz mat tranportation license, an explosives storage facility, and a letter from your dentist.
And a promise from your wife that you won't store them near your reloading stuff

Never seen that before, guess I better buy a couple dozen more shrink wrap packs the next time I am down the hill.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#10]

....OHIO...blue tip matches.....wow.....
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I read once about mice chewing into boxes of those and lighting them that way too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't necessarily say that it happened during shipping. It could have happened at any point during the chain of distribution.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I had some go off inside a backpack one time......got to be careful.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
From what I understand you're not supposed to bring a state, process, or instance of combustion in which fuel or other material is ignited and combined with oxygen, giving off light, heat, and flame on a heavier-than-air aircraft kept aloft by the upward thrust exerted by the passing air on its fixed wings and driven by propellers, jet propulsion, etc.

I'm also surprised the other 3 packs didn't go up with the first. Could have made a big problem somewhere..

but it's OK to ship them on a lighter than air craft?  

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
How well do they work? The red-white tips don't work worth a rat's ass and I used up all the old blue tips I had. Those blue tips would light off of anything, even flicking your thumbnail across where the regular red white ones needed a pretty specific surface to work. I'd love to have a source of strike anywheres again that actually strike anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I am 40. I dont recall ever seeing blue tipped in my life. Always had white and red tipped. I dont see much difference between these new green/white tipped than the red/white tipped. I can strike them on anything prety much. I can strike one of the head of another. I could not stike them off the edge of my tooth like I use to as a kid but that could be Im just out of practice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#17]
That is why strike anywhere matches are illegal in MD.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I worked for a grocery chain that lost a semi when some ignited and caught the trailer on fire...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 8:45:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Those "green" matches sure are the pussy. Didn't even burn thru the plastic...

Why didn't you order man matches instead. These probaly needed attention from ALGore or something.

Anyhow, now you know when the subject of strike anywhere matches come up, I always tell my story about what my mom always told me about those barn burner things.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am 40. I dont recall ever seeing blue tipped in my life. Always had white and red tipped. I dont see much difference between these new green/white tipped than the red/white tipped. I can strike them on anything prety much. I can strike one of the head of another. I could not stike them off the edge of my tooth like I use to as a kid but that could be Im just out of practice.

We used to use them all the time on camping trips in the 80's & 90's.  I haven't seen Ohio blue tips for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
iv been looking for them a long time. i finally found them in a local farm store for $1.00 a box. im going to buy enough to fill a 50 caliber ammo can. i figure cheap things that make fire, matches, lighters, and strikers, are a cheap good trade item, people always want to make fire, and most people have not mastered the fire drill etc.  so im stocking up a small supply.

the strike anywhere matches are great, if you have a waterproof match carrier, and then can light a match on rocks etc. i have read how dangerous they can be, thats why the strike anywhere matches will be stored in a steel ammo can where they can cause no trouble.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
That could have made a bad day!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That is why strike anywhere matches are illegal in MD.

so what exactly is legal in MD?

I use them camping....
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]

That video caused me to have a full blow panic attack. I felt pretty sure I had lost all touch with reality and I'm pretty sure I'll never be the same
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Don't remember where I got them. Blue head, white tip and thick as hell- could pop the tip with a thumbnail and they'd light every time. Mabye the Diamonds I got were damped up at one point because about the only thing they'd light off of reliably was the dash of my car. Brick and cinder would scrape the tip off before they'd light.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That video caused me to have a full blow panic attack. I felt pretty sure I had lost all touch with reality and I'm pretty sure I'll never be the same
6 minutes of my life I can's get back. Ludes, man-ludes...

Semi back on topic, dangerous, entertaining, and maybe useful...take a box of your favorite strike anywheres, cut the tip off of all of them. Cut a small 'X' in a tennis ball and gently fill to the top with match heads, throw at something solid you DO NOT WANT, after donning appropriate body armor, helment, eye-protection. Makes a nice BOOM! shrapnel...etc...

Standard warnings and disclaimers apply....

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Bitches don't know about my matches.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What you're saying is...."You can't bring fire on a plane!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top