Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 10:56:33 AM EDT
I currently have 60 gallons of Gasoline stored in 5 and 6 gallons cans, with Stabil.

What are you guys using?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The best cans for fuel are the NATO, MFC, or GIblitz 5 gallon cans

Stepping up in size there are 15, 30, and 55 gallon drums.

Need Bigger? Get a farm fuel tank.
1-4-48

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump for answers.  I need to build a fuel storage shed, looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bump for answers.  I need to build a fuel storage shed, looking for ideas.

Same here
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine will be second hand 250 gallon oil tanks. I plan to have 4 full of diesel. Gas I will store in 5 gallon cans, and maybe a 55 gallon drum or 2.

Diesel will be my focus. I only need a diesel tractor now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]
40 gallon stash

The common hardware store plastic cans do this

I consider this to be a proper stash of Gerry Cans

1-4-43 46  headache––can't count

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple of these...

A bunch of these....

a bunch of farm tanks....a big aluminum K1 tank.....

And a Mil issue 500 gallon ovalized tank on trailer.........I'll get pics later.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Hear is my stash of NATO cans............I wish. I have some NATO cans but use them weekly for transporting fuel also have some 500 and 1000 gallon farm tanks but that’s get rotated every week through the equipment and I figure that if SHTF I will just use what I have on the place but do have 4 cans full of diesel and gas just because I had some extra cans

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hear is my stash............I wish. To the OP how many gallons do you plan on storing? You can still find MFCs and NATO jerry cans
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/snopro23/DSC02613.jpg
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af352/snopro23/DSC02610.jpg

I just made a bit of a mess in my shorts......WOW......
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
i use 5 gallon metal cans that 99% isopropanol comes in or 5 gallon plastic cans that industrial solvents come in.  i get them at work and have at least 20 empties here. i put used motor oil in them too.  i have 30 gallons of gas in the metal ones and several plastic ones full too.

ETA.  i have 4, 5 gal red gas cans that i use to buy fuel in. i keep them empty.  that way if a big storm is coming, i can run out and buy 20 gallons last minute, without having to find a place to put that gas.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
my goals are simple.

between the 2 family cars we always have 25-35 gallons. Never let them go below half tank. I have the ability to siphon from each other if needed. Unless something really unforseen happens, we will bug in. I want 200 gallons of fuel on hand. Looking into some 55 gallon drums, with the sdapters some I can add a hand pump.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got 10 plastic gas cans that I'm certain won't make it another year. I've even experimented with 5-Gal. buckets with pour spout lids for both gas and kero. These seem to suffer a little less than actual gas cans while expanding and contracting.
Once we get a decent thaw, I have some 30 gal. plastic drums I'd like to experiment with. I grabbed a couple 55's as well. These are white barrels and they're quite thick. I actually bought valves for them today, but I'm having second thoughts about drilling through them.  Either way, if they end up spewing flaming death throughout the neighborhood, I'll certainly post an update, complete with pics of them hauling me off the hoosegow.
I believe that steel drums are the way to go ultimately. It's just a matter of finding them cheap, locally.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a good hot water tank that's rated at 30 gallons that I'm chomping at the bit to strip of the cover, clean out the insides, add some protective valves, etc and a filter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bump for answers. I need to build a fuel storage shed, looking for ideas.

Me too.  I have a garage full of flammables I need to get the hell out of there.ASAP.  I bought tin, lumber, plywood, etc., but I'm not a carpenter, and really have no idea how to build a shed...  If there were a fire in my garage it would not go well....  Propane, diesel, gasoline, kerosene, lamp oil, smokeless powder (a lot...).... <–– My place would be crispy.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Funny, I have been looking at plans for a cheap shed for fuel/lawn mower storage for a couple of weeks now.  I think I have settled on the one below.  Looks nice, easy(ish) to build and should come in between $500-$1000.  Might add a little more support in here and there to support a riding mower.

Shed Plan

Any thoughts on how far away from your main home you should store 100 gallons of gas and 50-100 gallons of kerosene?

I have no affiliation with the website - I just thought it was a good plan and gave a cutting list to boot!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Funny, I have been looking at plans for a cheap shed for fuel/lawn mower storage for a couple of weeks now.  I think I have settled on the one below.  Looks nice, easy(ish) to build and should come in between $500-$1000.  Might add a little more support in here and there to support a riding mower.

Shed Plan

Any thoughts on how far away from your main home you should store 100 gallons of gas and 50-100 gallons of kerosene?

I have no affiliation with the website - I just thought it was a good plan and gave a cutting list to boot!

easy plans. dont forget a ridge vent. in fact i would over due the venting. keep it as far away from your home, say 100 feet, but far enough away from your propertyline in case your neighbor is smokin and you dont want him blowin up your shed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Current setup includes keeping vehicles full - excursion holds 44 of diesel, truck holds 26 of gas.  we have some 55 gallon barrels we're working on filling, one gas one diesel.  we get a little extra money and buy gas and then don't buy for too long and almost use up the entire stash.  eventually i'll buy a 250 or larger tank and buy a diesel truck when i wear out the gas one, then we'll be all diesel, except the atv and genny.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
275 Gallon farm tank, with water separating filter. Free standing, gravity feed.

Has a dent in the side, but other than that, well worth the $25 I paid for it.

It has a rack at the base of the stand, that holds a 55 gallon metal drum with K1.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I can buy to CLEAN 55 gallon blue Poly barrels for $20.00 They both have the screw in bungs in the top.

Are Poly Barrels OK for Gasoline?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#20]
We use one of these in our barn

and put 16 of these in it

and use one of these to transfer the gas to the car, truck, or SUV.

This set up gives us 80 gallons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#21]
300 gal gravity tank for diesel

150 gal gravity tank for gasoline

55 gal drum w/ hand pump for kero

Several misc cans for moving it around

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:44:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 6 x 5 gallon plastic gas cans in the dog house out back.

I need a better solution, but the dog doesn't use the dog house anyway.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is a good idea.  Will the dog house hold any more?  Do you have to crawl in to get the gas?  

I'd modify it so I could raise a roof side (lid)  and nail a black board over the hole from the inside so it looks like an empty doghouse from a distance.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:04:27 AM EDT
[#24]
This works well for us. We treat our fuel with Pri-G. Don't know how well it works, but no problems so far. We purchase gasoline without ethanol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#25]
1200 gallons.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#26]
8 - 5 gallon gas cans from the Depot full.   Wish I had a better solution.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a good idea.  Will the dog house hold any more?  Do you have to crawl in to get the gas?  

I'd modify it so I could raise a roof side (lid)  and nail a black board over the hole from the inside so it looks like an empty doghouse from a distance.

It can hold about 8. I have to bend down and get them out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#29]

I built a Generator Shed and frankly I have not used it as a generator shed since it was built but it makes an ideal fuel shed as it is VERY strongly built, it is ventilated so no gas fumes build up, and if there was ever a house fire I can tell the firemen to get that fuel away from the house or at least put a hose on there.

Here is the archived thead with pics:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=626894

I normaly have eight 20L gas cans filled, plus three 20L cans with Kerosene (40 gal gas, 15gal Kerosene) but the shed is large enough I could store a hell of a lot more in there if needed. Note, I don't keep propane with the gassoline anymore - they have another small shed away from the gassoline.

I am glad I got this gassoline out of the house if for no other reason then fire safety! Note the fan in there is for when the Generator is in the shed (with gas cans moved elsewhere) and the fan is run off the generator to keep the generator cool. It does NOT run with the gas cans in there (seems I get asked eery time I post these pics). Also, my shed is on the NORTH side of the house so it is shaded all day, every day which helps with heat during the summer.

As for capacity, I think I have 16 of the Deutch Optic Jerry Cans (Metal NATO 20L Cans), about 4 or the 10L Jerry Cans, about 4 of the 5L Jerry Cans, 12 or 16 of the Scepter MFCs, one of the Eagle Brand 5L Safety Can (If anybody doesn't have one - you should get one of the safety cans), and LOTS of old plastic junk cans I used to have for SHTF prior to my Gas Can Binge of a couple years ago!

I never have them all filled but in an emergency I certainly could fill them all up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top