Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/2/2010 4:40:05 PM EDT

Edited to add, I ended up with the best of both worlds I think, GSD and ACD mix so I got both ;o) http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1202950

After the end of the world as we know it, I figure we'll be pretty board with no electronics to keep us entertained, that and dogs are good to alert if zombies are nearby. Would do you all think would be the most robust but eas to maintain breed under those circamstances? ;o)

I've kinda settled on German shephard, thoughs?
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#1]
GSD, Australian Sheppard, Rotty, all very good at protection and great alarms.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Whichever one has the most meat on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Blue Healer/Coyote Mix My friend has one, let me tell you this is THE apocalypse dog.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Why so? I ask because I was considering a Aussie Cattle Dog mix.

Quoted:
Blue Healer/Coyote Mix My friend has one, let me tell you this is THE apocalypse dog.

Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Dingos,cross-breeds of the above, are all round good dogs, don't eat all that much, and live fairly long lives.  They can do a lot of different things pretty well.  Good with kids, by and large,  if you work them in pairs, they'll pack a pretty good fight into a small package (they do teamwork very well)

Rotties, Alsatians, mastiffs, Poodles (standard), good fighting dogs, good guard dogs, good pack dogs, but they eat alot, shit alot, and live fairly short lives  (well, Poodles tend to live longer for some reason, but they've got their own problems).

Toy Poodles, Chihuahuas, etc... alarms that pack light, don't eat much, and live very long lives.

I'd stay away from Dobies and be leery of Pit Bulls (though properly brought up Pits are great dogs, they do have some bad habits you have to watch for)

I did some research on this topic for a book once and came up with the Bull Mastiff as the perfect post-apocalyptic breed.  Can't remember all the reasons, but it seemed a good combination of temperament, strength, intelligence, and life expectancy.

Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going with GSD, the breed I know and love, but some of the 'farm' dogs would be important too because of the switch back to a pure agrarian lifestyle.  Anatolian Shepard, Ackbash, etc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Dingos,cross-breeds of the above, are all round good dogs, don't eat all that much, and live fairly long lives.  They can do a lot of different things pretty well.  Good with kids, by and large,  if you work them in pairs, they'll pack a pretty good fight into a small package (they do teamwork very well)

Rotties, Alsatians, mastiffs, Poodles (standard), good fighting dogs, good guard dogs, good pack dogs, but they eat alot, shit alot, and live fairly short lives  (well, Poodles tend to live longer for some reason, but they've got their own problems).

Toy Poodles, Chihuahuas, etc... alarms that pack light, don't eat much, and live very long lives.

I'd stay away from Dobies and be leery of Pit Bulls (though properly brought up Pits are great dogs, they do have some bad habits you have to watch for)

I did some research on this topic for a book once and came up with the Bull Mastiff as the perfect post-apocalyptic breed.  Can't remember all the reasons, but it seemed a good combination of temperament, strength, intelligence, and life expectancy.

Depending on the bloodlines, some Rotties have VERY strong herding instincts as well.  Mine definitely does.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why so? I ask because I was considering a Aussie Cattle Dog mix.

Quoted:

Just to name a few things Intelligent, good herding instincts, protective of the family, extremely athletic, super hardy, good hunting and survival instincts and a pretty decent fighter for a smaller dog that won't take food out of your mouth. Very good bang for the buck so to speak.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
For me it will be border collies.. I have worked with most of the stock dog breeds and the border are the smartest dogs I have ever been around.. With very little work they will figure out every thing you want/expect..
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was in Haiti, all of the dogs were little ?35-40 lb? skinny mutts who all looked like they had the same parents.

Search for "pictures of dogs in Haiti" and you will see what they looked like.

There must be some reason for that.  It didn't look like anyone fed them, so this must be the best size to scrounge and survive on its' own, sort of a "survival of the fittest" concept.

I wonder if dogs in Iraq or Afganistan look similar?
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never met a rot that I didn't like.  They're good dogs but they tend to get in the way.  For normal life I'd have a hard time justifying one but I'd love to have one if SHTF.  That's one breed of dog that just wants to be doing something and in normal life they won't be.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Red x double tap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#14]

It must have been awful to see all those red x dogs.....
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
It's gonna be my tactical Chihuahua.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
They were nothing compared to the red "O" cats.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Australian Shepard. Basically a Border Collie without the tale.

She's incredibly smart, fast, has an instinct to heard and attack when threatened. Doesn't eat much and is always ready to please.

Not my ideal end of the world breed to have, but she would certainly do a fine job.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
thats an easy one... my 75 pound male boxer. Totally fearless and marches the perimeter of my back yard thruout the night just from pure instinct. Boxers have great guarding instincts and pound for pound, I'd put my male boxer up against any critter out there. Combined with our 65 pound female boxer, they make a potent home defense team. Oh one more thing they are the coolest dogs on the planet
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Australian Cattle dog or Red/Blue Heeler.

Mel Gibson can't be wrong

Mine is a red heeler, name of Ruby.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I was in Haiti, all of the dogs were little ?35-40 lb? skinny mutts who all looked like they had the same parents.

Search for "pictures of dogs in Haiti" and you will see what they looked like.

There must be some reason for that.  It didn't look like anyone fed them, so this must be the best size to scrounge and survive on its' own, sort of a "survival of the fittest" concept.

I wonder if dogs in Iraq or Afganistan look similar?

Left to crossbreed indiscriminately, yes, all dogs eventually tend to look more or less like that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Get a mutt.
Best dogs I have ever had have been mutts.
The best of those was a German Shepard cross.
I have never had health or behaviorial issues with mutts, and all of them were loyal and protective.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
The Cane Corso.  Hunter, herder, protector.  

Add a Neapolitan Mastiff for sheer dominance of any situation.

Link Posted: 10/2/2010 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Australian Cattle dog or Red/Blue Heeler.

Mel Gibson can't be wrong

+1000, I have a blue and red heeler, they are the bet dog in the world.  My blue is an Australian import and the red is an AKC CH.  My blue is 11 and the red is 10 and they can both put in a full days work and I trust them with my life (because they are so loyal they would give their lives for me).
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Pomeranian,hands down!
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#26]
What?  No love for the Shitz-Zhu?

(J/K)
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotta go with what has worked for me for 20 years. The GSD.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]
This topic came up on another forum and a great point was made.  Some people want to get a dog for defense. Dogs are not a good defense against an armed human. Your firearm should be your means of defense. Large dogs eat a lot and are also prone to hip problems.  They may not travel well and if one is injured you will not be able to carry it far. Large dogs tend to lay around all day.
Any dog can bark and be a means of warning.  Smaller dogs are more active and would be just as good of a companion as a large dog. They eat less and can be carried if injured.
I really don't like little dogs. I have two dogs and they are both about 45lbs. I don't fool myself that they would be anything other than a drain on resources after SHTF. They may provide warning but then again they may not. They aren't going to stand up to an armed human for long and they definately aren't going to deter a pack of feral dogs.
I think a lot of people get the big dogs for the same reason that many have to have the biggest gun or most powerful auto.  
To each his own. Get the dog that you want but be honest about how much good that 100lb canine is really going to be.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 2:40:59 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll take a 30 lb. dog over a 10 oz. volley ball any-day......deserted island especially.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's Captain Nemo. His daddy was a German Shepherd, and mamma was a black lab. He had all of the balls and bravery of a shepherd, and the gentle playfulness of a lab. Nemo was indestructable. Well, at least he thought he was. Jump and run, dodge and play. He ran so hard and long once, it ripped the pads right off his feet. He had to have special bandages on all four feet for a week. This happened twice. He used to jump in the river and drag back big chunks of ice, dragging them up on the bank and drop them in front of my feet... in January. He'd lay on the lawn and guard the house. If people walked up the street, he'd raise his noble head and watch them quietly, always on guard. He once charged a rotty twice his size, and barrelled into it like he was a linebacker. This sent that rotty running off through the woods crying like a pussy. He also did the same thing to a K9 cop, german shepherd, that lived down the street, and thought he was a real badass.

Nemo lived to the ripe old age of 15, which was old for both of his breeds. Last November, when he finally got to the point where he could not stand on his own anymore - the pain from his cancer too great - we had him put down. Hardest thing I ever did, and I got a huge lump in my throat even now typing this. Best dog I ever knew. RIP Nemo, I love you, man.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 5:12:54 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd go for a breed that gains weight quickly, and can be eaten.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After the end of the world as we know it, I figure we'll be pretty board with no electronics to keep us entertained, that and dogs are good to alert if zombies are nearby. Would do you all think would be the most robust but eas to maintain breed under those circamstances? ;o)

mutt
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#33]
This is like asking for a perfect firearm. One does not exist. Pick a dog that performs the primary task you want of it well, and probably the dog can do other things adequately.

The biggest problem with a large dog is how much it eats. A mastiff sized dog is a poor choice for that reason. Plus, larger dogs tend to live shorter lives.

Small dogs are useful, but not great for protection.

That kind of leaves medium sized dogs like GSDs and retrievers. A dog that can live outside is something that you probably want in a SHTF situation, but a lot of dogs are not well suited to that, especially in cold weather.

Stay away from breeds that have health issues. A lot of times the dog can seem fine until it is 5 or 6 years old.

You may find that a medium sized mutt from the pound is about ideal. A lot of purebred dogs have been bred primarily to do well at dog shows, and are not real good at being otherwise useful.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Siberian Husky!  Very smart with a Pack mentality, very obedient.  I can put a chunk of steak 2 inches from her nose, tell her "HOLD", then completely leave the room and she wont touch it. good survival instincts, can do things like sense thin ice in the winter.  very good at hunting. she will catch squirrels and birds for me.  iv watched her track a squirrel that had run by the night before a 6 inch snow fall,she will follow the scent at a run with her nose buried 6 inchs under the snow. they can survive in every temp range from 100 to -50 degrees(of coarse better in cold climates).  they have very efficient metabolisms, when she is not being worked hard she only takes about a cup of dry food per day.  mine has a top speed of 35 MPH.  she can pull just me on a bike at about 15MPH for miles, and if you have enough of them it makes for good transportation for you and all your gear.   Great with kids, good companion dogs.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a snorky (yorkie & schnauzer) mix. He is light weight, doesn't shed or smell (unless he rolls in something) and eats very little. He only barks when something isn't right. I have a gun for protection. In a SHTF scenario I don't want some big dog that will eat more than I do. He should live 10 years or so and have few medical problems. I still think a mutt w/ different bloodlines is always the best dog. They usually live the longest, have the least problems and are the most loyal. MUTTS rule and others drool. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got a Border Collie, and the wife has a toy schnauzer. The border is good at protection, great herding instincts, and damn smart too. Her only problem is that she alerts and starts barking waaaayyyy to soon. I guess her thinking is if she can see it, it's in her territory. She barks at people 200+ yards away all the time. But that may be a good thing come SHTF. The schnauzer, on the other hand, is going in the frying pan if things get too bad.

ETA: If I had the room, and could afford to feed them, a pair of Caucasion Orvcharkas would be AWESOME.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Lewis and Clark crossed tthe country with a Newfoundland.  

At our house we have a Yellow Lab and a an English Mastiff.  The lab doesn't hunt, but is the best dog I've ever had.  Since we got the Mastiff almost two years ago, we have not had a single solicitor at the house.  The Census lady would not even come on our property.  If the kids are outside playing the dog whines untill he can get out to watch them.  If someone, even a neighbor, comes toward the house the dog always gets between the person and the kids.  He doesn't growl he is just alert.  He eats six cups of food a day and shits like I do.  He can put his paws on my shoulders and look me in the eye, I'm 6'1".  Probably won't get a dog that big again, but happy so far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have a rat terrier, that would probably be a good dog for TEOTWAWKI, doesn't eat much, hunts small game with a vigor, good alarm.

You just nailed it right there. When our economy collapsed and people of course had to tighten the budget we suddenly saw a lot of big dogs on the streets. The owners couldn't afford to feed them so they did what you can expect from the average, self centered idiot: Let a big dog run wild in pack.
Soon enough the situation "organized" itself so to speak. You just can't leave packs of dogs running around, attacking people.
But back to the dog I agree with you 100%. I think the Jack Russell is the best postSHTF small dog.
If you can afford or have the means to support a bigger dog, I'd go for a Dogo Argentino. Big enough but not stupid big. Capable of killing any other dog and animals much bigger than itself (think cougar, boar, even bulls) , good big game hunter. Not that great as a guarding (wont bark, it ambushes instead) but excellent to have in a fight. Wont get scared away even if shot and wounded. Magnificent animal. Careful! Some of the ones found in shelters where used in dog fights, so dont go that way unless you're very experienced with dogs.

Dogo Argentino
FerFAL
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#39]

I'd appreciate you all get the one with the most meat, because if fresh meat get's real lean and you let your dog out, don't expect it to return home. I'll be BBQ'ing it. If that's a problem, I'd be happy to add some dried long pork jerky to the food store too.

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'd appreciate you all get the one with the most meat, because if fresh meat get's real lean and you let your dog out, don't expect it to return home. I'll be BBQ'ing it. If that's a problem, I'd be happy to add some dried long pork jerky to the food store too.

Just be reeeal careful not to get caught.    Some of us will protect our dogs, some of us even get revenge for our dogs.  

May as well bring the dogs in at night, they're a good heat source.  So long as you don't toss and turn all night, dogs will keep you warm in the winter.  Remember, three dog night was a comment on how many dogs you slept with to keep warm before it was the name of a band.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 11:56:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Is it 'de-barked'? Do you have a wheelbarrow? Have you ever been to federal prison?

(j/k - but you hit a long-running theme here - vis-a-vis a former member turned convict known as 'Gunkid')

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a rat terrier, that would probably be a good dog for TEOTWAWKI, doesn't eat much, hunts small game with a vigor, good alarm.

I have a Giant Rat Terrier. Just Google "Giant Rat Terrier" or "Decker Giant Rat Terrier". Males run 35+ pounds. Good dog, has the toughness and intellgence of the Rat Terriers but are much mellower than them. I'd take a couple of them as early warrning systems and for hunting. As a bred they have been used for a lot of general hunting. Don't know how to make this hot.... deckerratterrier.nrta.com

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#44]
For a security dog or companion in a SHTF or post-apocalypse, you know by my avatar that I'm betting on the GSD.

There are a lot of great dog breeds and there are a lot of great dogs that are mongrels. Whatever works for you, and a lot of them will work just fine. Your choice of dogs may also depend on where you live — house, apt., city, rural.

I've had GSDs for about 30 years. We have three now. I love dogs and like a number of the breeds, but the German Shepherd has the combination of characteristics that work for us,  intelligence and the willingness to learn and obey. By the way, I don't consider them a large dog breed — that would be the mastiff, St. Bernard and Irish Wolfhound. (Irish Wolfhounds are pretty cool, but, man, something just isn't right about a dog that eats more than a person!)

Our Shepherds keep uninvited guests in their cars, keep anyone from just walking into the house, keep the coyotes away, and are by our side whenever we go outside.  Whatever the situation, I'm confident they will be between us and whatever trouble might arise, defending us with their last breath, if need be. Also, a GSD or similar breed is a "serious" security dog. The intentions of a stranger may readily become apparent when confronted with such a dog.

There's a dog out there to fit everybody's idea of a good protective or SHTF dog. It I were recommending a second choice with somewhat similar characteristics, it would be the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

GSDs happened to be our choice based on our experience with the breed. I may be proven wrong within this thread, but I have never known anyone that owned a GSD say they wouldn't get another one. It's usually the other way around — once you own one, it's the only breed you ever want. The breed is intelligent, loyal, good tempered, long in stamina and fiercely protective. I look forward to spending the latter years of my life with my chair in front of the fireplace, a good book, an Irish coffee and a couple of German Shepherds lying next to my chair (almost like right now.)

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#45]
My buddy relaxing on "his" chair....

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I have an anatolian shepard that is amazing as a chicken/turkey/cow/barn guardian. Liberty (the dog's name) can run 30 + mph and clear a barbwire fence in stride when after coyotes.  She is as calm and gentle around kids as any dog I've been around.  With that said Liberty would not be a good dog for urban dwellers as I am in the open prairie.  If you plan to raise livestock a guard dog will pay for itself many times over.  I learned that lesson the hard way.

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#48]
lots of cool dogs mentioned for sure but I still say boxer all the way. Big enough to stop most animal threats but not so large that they eat too much (ours eat 4-5 cups a day but could get by on 2 cups and some of our scraps in a pinch). Very low maintenance dogs and versatile plus you get the added benefit of a great companion dog.

our female used to sleep right in the kids bed and always had an eye on the doorway

old generation and new generation together, the little guy is now 75 pounds and totally fearless. Nobody enters our house without his ok.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#49]
You will be hard pressed to find a more loyal and capable guard dog than an Akita.  Here is mine helping me tear out shelves in my basement.

Hanging out with the in-laws dog.

Grove
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]
I have had several breeds.  A lot of my friends have dogs.

I have seen a ridgeback that was affraid of her own shadow.  I currently have a little 55LB Shep/Pit mix who thinks she is a gladiator.  Unfortunately she is a little unpredictable.

I believe that while some breeds are obviously more well equipped for some jobs it still all boils down to training.  

I once saw a black lab so well trained that he kept a police academy recruit frozen in the corner of a room for about 15 minutes.  He was given an order and he just sat there, meaning business, and making it clear to the recruit that he would be on the receiving end of a nice set of incisors if he moved.  We all left the room and came back 15 minutes later and that dog did his job the whole time.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top