Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 1:35:21 PM EDT
Anyone have a battery setup that is in a crawl space?

My crawl space is about 4 ft high and looking to put my batteries under the house.

Do I need and enclosure to put the inverter in to try and keep the dust and spiders out of it?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#1]
i wouldnt. what if something happens to the charger and the batteries start to off gas? hydrogen in a confined space like that is NOT good. you would be better off building a "dog house" to store the batteries in and run the wires for the inverter to the nearest wall. on the inside of that wall is where the inverter should be.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The only way would be in a sealed enclosure with exaust fans ducted to the outside. Even then I would be leary about doing it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Not me.  No way.  Accessible and ventilated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Batteries in confined spaces are bad juju.  

Charging batteries in a confined space is very bad juju  

Google about submarine battery charging problems
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
dont do it...unless you can ventilate it well. As  battery/s charge they give off hydrongen gas...the more you reach completel charge and espcially supercede charging they give off more gas....have you ever herad them "boiling" or bubbling rapidly???? Thats hydrogen gas...one spark and you or part or all of your batteries go kaboom. Thats why on renewable energy systems its very important to monitor the charge...either manually or with a dump load controller.....esay to assmeble and not much money...well worth it...if you are diy'er check out the ( google it) "Ghurd controller" it about as big as a postage stamp and well worth assem=bling one and the few dollars you spend for it
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you ever see the end of Rocky Horror Picture Show?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I will not be putting them under the house now. I will either build and small shed or find a rubbermaid type shed to put them in.

Thanks for the advice.

Can someone recommend a charger and a trickle charger to use?

Right now i have 2 deep cycle batteries and may upgrade to 4 later.

This setup pretty much is for lights TV and fans. So the wife can have easy access to power till either i can get home from work or get someone over to help with the generator if needed.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
make sure to insulate whatever you get. not sure how cold it gets where you are but cold kills batteries quick. an insulated dog house that you can put a light bulb in will help maintain the temp in the winter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top