Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/26/2009 11:41:04 AM EDT
File this away in your stuff to know file. I hope you never need it, but like many topics in the SF it's nice to know.

ELECTROLYTES

Item / single dose / storage ratios for 300 quarts
- - - - - - - - -
Lite salt / 1 teaspoon / 5 - 11 oz. tubes of Morton Lite Salt
Baking soda / 1/3 teaspoon / one pound box
sugar / 10 teaspoons / 25 pound sack
water / 1 quart / 300 quarts (75 gallons)

ELECTROLYTE AND FLUID REPLACEMENT
By Dr. Jane Orient (President of Doctors for Disaster Preparedness)

One teaspoon of "Lite Salt" (by Morton, 1/2 iodized potassium chloride, 1/2 sodium chloride in a blue cylinder), 1/3 teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), 10 teaspoons of table sugar (sucrose), and one quart of water. That happens to be a life saving fluid replacement and partial electrolyte expedient replacement. At least it is expedient if you have had the foresight to purchase the above three items BEFORE an emergency happens while it is readily available and very cheap. Many people die in times of emergency because of fluid losses. This can be from burns, vomiting, or diarrhea. The body needs water and certain water soluble chemicals to function. If either or both of these drop below a certain level, you die. There are many non-fatal diseases like cholera that become fatal due to lack of simple things like proper fluid replacement. If you have ever had a bad case of diarrhea and start to have pain in your muscles or joints, congratulations, you have had the early warning symptoms of a potassium deficiency. Bananas are very high in potassium. For ease of purchasing the items for Dr. Orient's formula, Morton Lite Salt comes in a 11 oz. light blue cylinder. Baking soda a 1 or 4 pound box. Sugar 5, 10, or 25 pound sack. To make approximately 300 quarts of the solution you need 5 - 11 oz. units of Morton's Lite salt, 1 - 1 pound box of baking soda, and 25 pounds of sugar.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Good info, thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 12:19:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Templar223] [#2]
Standard pill bottles are good for 1 pt. mixtures, which, by the way, will work in a pinch by adding it to a 500ml water bottle that's had a couple sips off the top.  

I mixed up about a 100 of them thanks to a gift of old pill bottles from a fellow seasoned citizen Guns Save Life member.

Originally, they were for tannerite charges at fun shoot, but plans changed.

Washed them out, filled them with the mixture and put an Avery 5160 label on them with the contents and the recipe.

Gave many of them away to friends and fellow preparedness fans.

John
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#4]
great info, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you can also buy powdered potassium to add.

I used to put it in grapefruit juice, before I started taking statins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#7]

This is a bump, With all the flu threads ot might be handy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]

I've used a simpler recipe when ingredients were scarce:

1 teaspoon table salt + 8 teaspoons sugar + 1 liter of water, well mixed

Add 1/2 cup of crushed banana, fruit juice, coconut milk (from a coconut–– not canned), rice water, etc., if available and tolerated.

There are many variations on this. I think we got this recipe out of 'Where There Is No Doctor', which is available free at the Hesperian Foundation.

You can also get oral rehydration salt (ORS) packets, but they taste like crap. Better with a little sugar, fruit juice, or similar added.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.

Why is there salt in this? Doesn't salt normally dry things out ... or is that the idea, having salt in your body somehow keeps water inside you by pulling it in?

I don't get it ... off to google.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#11]
Potassium chloride is available cheaply at most box stores for home water softeners.

A 25 pound bag is about $12. Enough for an entire 'village'.

Yes!!!!

Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Duggan:
Interesting.

Why is there salt in this? Doesn't salt normally dry things out ... or is that the idea, having salt in your body somehow keeps water inside you by pulling it in?

you need salt at a cellular level in order for your nerves to be able to communicate effectively.  salt also regulates fluid levels in cells. there's more to it, but that the gist of it i remember from anatomy and physiology in undergrad.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I make this without the sugar, usually adding sacharin tabs instead.
While you are mixing it up add unsweetened Kool-Aid to flavor it.
Makes it much more palatable and also more appealing to children.
You'll also be able to tell the solution from regular water at a glance.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought the sugar was desired in this?
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 1:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lumper:

It is.

But not if you are diabetic or desire non-caloric electrolyte replacement.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]

A trick I do on occassion, and one I have taught the guys Im in the field with is to dump a salt packet under the tongue and let it sit there for a minute. Then wash it down with ample amounts of water. I do this only in the most extreme cases.  Sometimes it seems like no matter how much you drink through out the day, you spend all day on a roof in summertime and your dehydrated, period. It works amazingly well, but I dont recomend doing it after everytime you cut the grass, your blood pressure wont be happy, nor will your doctor once you tell him

Over hydration with water is just as dangerous if not more than de-hydration. I did this a couple years ago and have never felt so sick in my life. Nowadays I keep a can of powdered gaterade and mix up a couple big batches the nite before and freeze one of them for use later the next  day

Link Posted: 4/3/2010 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ColonelHurtz:
While you are mixing it up add unsweetened Kool-Aid to flavor it.

Can also be added to diet soda - Tastes MUCH better than when dissolved in plain water.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not a doctor, and did not play one on TV, but that recipe sounds like sodium overload.  I don't see any magnesium at all.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
I am not a doctor, and did not play one on TV, but that recipe sounds like sodium overload.  I don't see any magnesium at all.

You need 1000mg sodium each day minimum for the body to operate correctly. I believe 1 teaspoon of sodium is about 2000mg IIRC. While this is more than the bare minimum you should have I do not think it is in the overload range.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

I've used a simpler recipe when ingredients were scarce:

1 teaspoon table salt + 8 teaspoons sugar + 1 liter of water, well mixed

Add 1/2 cup of crushed banana, fruit juice, coconut milk (from a coconut–– not canned), rice water, etc., if available and tolerated.

There are many variations on this. I think we got this recipe out of 'Where There Is No Doctor', which is available free at the Hesperian Foundation.

You can also get oral rehydration salt (ORS) packets, but they taste like crap. Better with a little sugar, fruit juice, or similar added.

Thanks for that link.  I downloaded a couple books to add to my library, good stuff.

Link Posted: 4/10/2010 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting.

One glucose molecule is absorbed with two sodium ions across the intestinal epithelium.  That's just the way glucose is absorbed.  Not all monosaccharides are absorbed that way but this is why you are using both glucose and salt in water.  If you google 'monosaccharide absorption with sodium' you'll find some additional information.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By glock27bill:

I think you can also buy powdered potassium to add.

I used to put it in grapefruit juice, before I started taking statins.

The "Lite Salt" has the potassium.

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Bump!
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Good info,

But in all reality wouldnt it be easier to just stock a few large cans of powdered Gatorade, unopened they should last a LONG time. And they contain a whole lot more items your body could use too.

Plus it tastes good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 11:22:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Psmith] [#25]

It is.

No.  Sugar is included in the rehydration formula because the SGLT1 cotransporter in the small intestine requires glucose to transport sodium ions transmurally.

Sugar should be included even for diabetics or those looking for "non-caloric electrolyte replacement".
Link Posted: 9/21/2010 12:44:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stonedv8:
Good info,

But in all reality wouldnt it be easier to just stock a few large cans of powdered Gatorade, unopened they should last a LONG time. And they contain a whole lot more items your body could use too.

Plus it tastes good.

Gatorade is kind of expensive for the volume you get, but that isn't the real reason for this discussion.  The simple fact is that you may not be able to lay hands on any actual rehydrators where you happen to land.  There are large swaths of the world where nobody's ever heard of Gatorade, and yet they die in droves from having the basic minerals leeched out of their bodies by heat and sunshine.

Anybody who's ever worked a long, hot day in the sun and come home to peel stiffened, salt-crusted clothing off knows that you can drink water until you explode and you'll still get sick. Maybe sicker. There's a reason sweat tastes salty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Originally Posted By stonedv8:
Good info,

Plus it tastes good.

Gatorade is kind of expensive for the volume you get, but that isn't the real reason for this discussion.  The simple fact is that you may not be able to lay hands on any actual rehydrators where you happen to land.  There are large swaths of the world where nobody's ever heard of Gatorade, and yet they die in droves from having the basic minerals leeched out of their bodies by heat and sunshine.

Anybody who's ever worked a long, hot day in the sun and come home to peel stiffened, salt-crusted clothing off knows that you can drink water until you explode and you'll still get sick. Maybe sicker. There's a reason sweat tastes salty.

Plus its good to know what to do when the gatorade runs out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#28]
We get this electrolyte replacement free at work in the serving size packets (mix with a 20oz bottle of water).  It tastes great and seems to do what most here are looking for.  Buy enough and you'll be well supplied for the next 20 years.  

Sqwincher
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Hawgleg44:
We get this electrolyte replacement free at work in the serving size packets (mix with a 20oz bottle of water).  It tastes great and seems to do what most here are looking for.  Buy enough and you'll be well supplied for the next 20 years.  

Sqwincher

I need to try that. I have a real problem with cramping, despite drinking plenty of water, eating bananas, etc.

Link Posted: 9/26/2010 2:34:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks.  A gal I dated was once hospitalized and it turned out that she simply didn't replenish her electrolytes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll push this up for the new folks
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Interesting.

Osmosis is a lot like magnets.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#33]
In Marine Corps boot camp, you mix the salt and sugar packets from an mre into a canteen, instant ghetto-aid.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:31:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#34]
Originally Posted By gojoe:
I'll push this up for the new folks

Holy thread resurrection Batman.
Originally Posted By Gyrene84:
In Marine Corps boot camp, you mix the salt and sugar packets from an mre into a canteen, instant ghetto-aid.

That only gets you buy until your potassium crashes, then you're in real trouble since your sodium to potassium ratio is really off.

Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:

It is.

No.  Sugar is included in the rehydration formula because the SGLT1 cotransporter in the small intestine requires glucose to transport sodium ions transmurally.
Sugar should be included even for diabetics or those looking for "non-caloric electrolyte replacement".

And ideally you would use glucose instead of table sugar, but glucose is harder to find and more expensive... and not sure how much of a practical difference it would make since I'm not a biochemist.

http://www.vitalyte.com/
This product has been on the market for over 20 years but has gone though a couple of name change/rebrandings in the interim - previous names include Gookinade and Hydralyte.  It's very simple, just an isotonic balance of potassium and sodium salts, bicarbonate, glucose, and a little flavor for better taste.  It's not all that expensive either.

I'd like to try the mix-it-yourself route but see lots of variation in the quantity of ingredients and radios in different places.  Guess I should do some research on isotonic saline solutions and see  what it's supposed to be.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

And ideally you would use glucose instead of table sugar, but glucose is harder to find and more expensive... and not sure how much of a practical difference it would make since I'm not a biochemist.

FWIW, dextrose = glucose. Dextrose seems to be a more common name in the food industry and glucose is more commonly used for lab chemicals. I don't know which is used more in medicine-- docs talk about measuring blood glucose concentrations but administer fluids with D50 (50% Dextrose), etc., as components.

Sucrose (table sugar) is an acceptable substitute because it is enzymatically cleaved to yield glucose and fructose in the small intestine, where it is needed for co-transport of sodium through the membrane. (Sucrose is a disaccharide of glucose and fructose.)

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Thanks.  A gal I dated was once hospitalized and it turned out that she simply didn't replenish her electrolytes.

I have taken my father to the ER a couple of times because this, must drink.

Thank you for reposting the information.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#37]
bump to keep it out of the archive
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Since this was posted. I've learned that Gator-Aid made with twice the directed amount of water is a good way to hydrate.
Be sure of your source and quality of the water you use. If in doubt, boil it.

Dark times ahead...
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By talontsi_95:

You need 1000mg sodium each day minimum for the body to operate correctly. I believe 1 teaspoon of sodium is about 2000mg IIRC. While this is more than the bare minimum you should have I do not think it is in the overload range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well, not quite. Perhaps you're right about the "overload range". I wouldn't know as I'm no bio-chemist but as far as the weights and volumes go....

1 gram = 1000milligram (mg)
1 teaspoon = 5 grams or 5000mg

To put that in perspective for the reloaders here (it's a gun board after all): 1g = 15.43grains
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#41]
beyond clumping, is there really a shelf life for any of these items?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 11:17:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#42]
an internet recipe that is supposedly close to the GatorAid formula without the flavoring.. it does not contain the sodium bicarbonate.. I used this with good results during this summers pistol and 3 gun matches.. what I like about it is that it is

formulated to mix with the 1/2 liter bottles of water I normally carry

1/8 teaspoon of Morton Lite salt (potassium chloride + sodium chloride)
1/8 teaspoon of Morton Iodized salt (sodium chloride)
3 teaspoons (1 tablespoon) sugar

I used the food sealer to form tear open packets... packet on right has only 1/2 tablespoon of sugar

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#43]
We should name this ..... say Brawndo or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#44]
so how much of this are you supposed to drink?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#45]
tigermilk... I'm an old fart, but to keep hydrated this past summer, for a six stage pistol or 3 gun match, I would drink an average of 1/2 liter bottle of water per 45minute stage... with a ratio of one 1/2 liter with egr added for every 3 of plain water....I cut the amount of sugar down to 2 teaspoons... this worked out pretty well for me... naturally YMMV
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll bump this for the flu season.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Good stuff.  Make's me think that i should have more baking soda stored.  Thanks OP
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By LRdrvr:
Well, not quite. Perhaps you're right about the "overload range". I wouldn't know as I'm no bio-chemist but as far as the weights and volumes go....

To put that in perspective for the reloaders here (it's a gun board after all): 1g = 15.43grains
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LRdrvr:

Perhaps he meant one teaspoon of table sale.

NaCl is about 40% Na w/w, so that would be 2000 mg in 5 grams of table salt.

Link Posted: 11/21/2020 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Oldie but a goody
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gojoe:
Oldie but a goody
View Quote

Worthy bump, but how is his thread not archived?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top