Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 12:31:05 PM EDT

I have several buckets of grain stored, using hand warmers to absorb the oxygen  .. they pull a nice vacuum on the lid.

Anyone else using hand warmers for food storage ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:39:07 AM EDT
[#2]
When you say they are pulling a vac on the lid, yer not using mylar bags???? I wouldnt count on any bucket being able to hold a longterm seal..
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
When you say they are pulling a vac on the lid, yer not using mylar bags???? I wouldnt count on any bucket being able to hold a longterm seal..

plastics can still leak O2 over time, and the seals may degrade as the above mentioned.   For a $1 per 5 gallon pale...  it's cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I came across a bunch that were on clearance sale for 0.10 a pack of six and have used them for this purpose. Not really sure what their exact ML rating would be I probably used way more than needed. Unless you were getting a good deal on the handwarmers it would seem that the 02 absorbers would be the better choice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Hand warmers and O2 absorbers are made of the same stuff... powdered iron and salt... basically controlled corrosion in a bag, with oxygen as the catalyst.

The buckets I use, have the big rubber O ring built inside the lid.... I'm using them for pinto beans without a bag.... they suck the lids down tight, and have been that way for over a year.
I don't see, or forecast any problems, as there is nothing ( even atmospheric changes ) that would pull air into the buckets.

I get the hand warmers on sale in the spring / summer at wally world ... since they perform so well, I expect one could use them in 55 gallon steel drums ( with lift off / locking lids )  also.

A few here were wondering about the O2 absorbers being good... remember that they get hard / stiff when they are exposed to oxygen ... when new, they are flexible and have powder inside.

I don't know about any gases given off by them...  they use the available oxygen, but not sure if they give off any carbon dioxide.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Oxygen absorbers= designed for food use, food grade materials.

Hand warmers= designed for hand use, non food grade materials.

When we consider "stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime" consider first that your $15. bag of rice your packing in 10 years when you go to rotate it will be worth $30. to $40.  Hate to open it a decade from now and lose $40. cause we chinced on buying the real article and tried to reinvent the wheel.

Instead of trying to save another $1. on the process, folks need to understand that packing themselves they are saving hundreds versus buying pre packed. The resources are out there to pack just like the professional pack (none of them use hand warmers, mylar balloons, 2 liter bottles or any other non sense btw)

www.bucketpacking.com

www.howtopackfood.com
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Lowdown, I agree.. But I think having this kind of knowledge could be helpful if the intended item becomes no longer available.
Use the correct “thing” when available. When not, Improvise, adapt and over come....

C.g.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it is useful information,  I never thought about before.  This would even be good for use in ammo cans and non foods.

As a side note, I use alot of hand warmers in the winter. I use the larger size body warmers too.
I always try to score big on them at wally world in the spring, but havent found them on clearance the last couple years.  I think around here they got smart and quit ordering as many. This year they had a couple boxes they marked down to around $1, but no 10 cent deals, heck I would have jumped on 50 cent even.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think it is useful information,  I never thought about before.  This would even be good for use in ammo cans and non foods.

As a side note, I use alot of hand warmers in the winter. I use the larger size body warmers too.
I always try to score big on them at wally world in the spring, but havent found them on clearance the last couple years.  I think around here they got smart and quit ordering as many. This year they had a couple boxes they marked down to around $1, but no 10 cent deals, heck I would have jumped on 50 cent even.

They may not be a good idea for use in ammunition.
Remember the propellants used in ammo generate oxygen for rapid burn rate.
Since a vacuum is developed, it may have an adverse effect, especially over time.

eta: They may be especially good for use in buried containers with precious metals, cash, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oxygen absorbers= designed for food use, food grade materials.

Hand warmers= designed for hand use, non food grade materials.

When we consider "stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime" consider first that your $15. bag of rice your packing in 10 years when you go to rotate it will be worth $30. to $40.  Hate to open it a decade from now and lose $40. cause we chinced on buying the real article and tried to reinvent the wheel.

Instead of trying to save another $1. on the process, folks need to understand that packing themselves they are saving hundreds versus buying pre packed. The resources are out there to pack just like the professional pack (none of them use hand warmers, mylar balloons, 2 liter bottles or any other non sense btw)

www.bucketpacking.com

www.howtopackfood.com

Who is doing what - with mylar balloons and 2 liter bottles ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top