Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2009 5:27:33 PM EDT
Guys,

With my wife's help, I finally got my three rice buckets done. Mylar bags, O2 absorbers, sealed with an iron.

How long till I see the results of those O2 absorbers? You know, when the Mylar sort of tightens up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine  have been well started in a few hours, and by morneing hard as a rock.   If there not sucked in by am they did not seal correctly.  I will be packing some stuff soon i will try and take hourly pick so the progress can be seen.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If I don't nitrogen flush rice or beans, I get a vacuum packed brick within 24 hours.  With powered milk, I seen no noticable difference.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
6-24 hours/
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
It may not be the seal either, you might have just had a large air pocket. They only absorb O2, and atmosphere is what, 21%? They're still safe unless you can squeeze them flat like a ziploc with a hole.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah when my buddy and I did our bucket party back in April you could tell a difference in 2-hours. 12-hours later they looked like freeze dried coffee blocks. the ones that didnt got re-ironed to seal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, we're at the 18 hour mark now and the three of them look pretty good.

Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top