BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2009 5:54:44 PM EDT
Give me some idea's
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
HAPPY SUMMER from Honeyville Farms:

SUMMARY:  10% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER* from Thursday, June 4, 2009 thru Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 6:00PM PST.  Simply enter the coupon code PREPARE09 during checkout.  Act now!  Take a look at the WHAT'S NEW category for all of the great new items that we're rolling out including Freeze Dried Blackberries, Hard Red and White Wheat in the can, and our new line of Puddings.

Honeyville Online Store
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy me this or this
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Well it depends a bit, some more information on your particular situation would be very helpful to get the best suggestions.

Rice and beans are one of the cheaper routes to store food but if are limited on fuel then not so good.

Canned goods are relatively inexpensive easy to store, and require little to no fuel to prepare.

Are you looking to get through a two week storm, a six month SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone get wheat berries and oats from a local grain farm/elevator, and what're the prices?

I haven't priced grain in a while, but damn, wheat berries and steelcut or whole oat groats for $1/lb seems high.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well it depends a bit, some more information on your particular situation would be very helpful to get the best suggestions.

Rice and beans are one of the cheaper routes to store food but if are limited on fuel then not so good.

Canned goods are relatively inexpensive easy to store, and require little to no fuel to prepare.

Are you looking to get through a two week storm, a six month SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI?

This, I would start out w/ food you eat (or can eat) daily, lots of can goods, some rice and pasta, TP, soap, deo., first aid/med supplies, etc. Water filter system of some type, anything left, you can do long term rice and beans. ETA - Can't believe I forgot peanut butter.(core781)
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Peanut Butter - 1. lasts a long time 2. tastes yummy 3. high in protein and carbs 4. baits all tastey beasts
What more could you possibly ask for?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does anyone get wheat berries and oats from a local grain farm/elevator, and what're the prices?

I haven't priced grain in a while, but damn, wheat berries and steelcut or whole oat groats for $1/lb seems high.

I feed my chickens wheat berries from the local grain elevator @ $10 for 50 lbs.

They are triple washed and good to go for human consumption.

ETA         We always have some sprouting on the counter. Been eating them for over a year now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
ramen noodles  think of the volume
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feed my chickens wheat berries from the local grain elevator @ $10 for 50 lbs.

They are triple washed and good to go for human consumption.

ETA         We always have some sprouting on the counter. Been eating them for over a year now.

Ditto on this.  

Our local feed store has wheat for $10.65/50lbs.  We've been using it and it seems to be fine but they couldn't tell me what kind of wheat it is and I don't know how to tell by looking at it.  It works fine for pancakes and bisquits but we haven't made bread with it yet.  It might just be fine for that too.

I've been trying to find other outlets for wheat at something less than usury prices and have had no luck.  I've found a couple of web sites that have it for a reasonable price but shipping costs more than the wheat itself.  Wheat Montana has 50 lb sacks priced at $23.67 but add shipping to that and it shoots up to $63.  From $.47/lb to $1.26/lb.  We're probablly going to make a trip up to Montana at the end of the summer anyway and I think I'll stock up then.  I won't mind paying a little more than the local feed store (read double) to be sure of what kind of wheat we're getting.  Having the right wheat might mean better sucess with bread.  Then again, if we have good luck in making bread with the wheat we got here we just might stick with it.

gk
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I would buy 50 lbs of rice , 2 cases of chef boyardee spagetti and meatballs thats what $100 down? I would also buy the biggest an of gatorade powdered mix the biggest can of powdered milk so say another $20 down

$380 left  Id buy 10 lbs of top round at $2and change a lb to make Jerky say thats $30

$350

Id then buy two #10 cans of mountain house beef stew

$290 left

with that i guess id buy atleast 50 lbs of dried beans like kidney or navy beans
salt
pasta
canned hunts sauce
dried sliced garlic or garlic powder
50 lbs flour and some baking powder

at that point IDK but for myself and Laura I think that would be a rock solid staple to get us thur anything but TEOTWAWKI and be able to be broken down into traveling food if we had to troop it the 150ish miles to our close BOL. We already agreed she is trooping the food and im trooping the ammo , hardware and gear and she has her cannon.

As you have decided we also have a limited store. Basically double what her and I need for any situation short of zombie hordes. Its honestly all about location and availibility if we were at our FL house our hardware is at a minimum BUT as long as we have fuel food from the sea is easy along with tons of fruit trees in the area.  

Some guys on here plan for the worse possible shft on earth and while that is all well and good most will die never needing a handful of it. and yes u can say WELL MAYBE YOU MIGHT NEED IT ... id rather have our 2 trucks , 3 cars , 2 boats , quad , gold cart and our life then 20K in shit that will rot
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would buy 50 lbs of rice , 2 cases of chef boyardee spagetti and meatballs thats what $100 down? I would also buy the biggest an of gatorade powdered mix the biggest can of powdered milk so say another $20 down

$380 left  Id buy 10 lbs of top round at $2and change a lb to make Jerky say thats $30

$350

$290 left

with that i guess id buy atleast 50 lbs of dried beans like kidney or navy beans
salt
pasta
canned hunts sauce

at that point IDK but for myself and Laura I think that would be a rock solid staple to get us thur anything but TEOTWAWKI and be able to be broken down into traveling food if we had to troop it the 150ish miles to our close BOL. We already agreed she is trooping the food and im trooping the ammo , hardware and gear and she has her cannon.

As you have decided we also have a limited store. Basically double what her and I need for any situation short of zombie hordes. Its honestly all about location and availibility if we were at our FL house our hardware is at a minimum BUT as long as we have fuel food from the sea is easy along with tons of fruit trees in the area.  

Some guys on here plan for the worse possible shft on earth and while that is all well and good most will die never needing a handful of it. and yes u can say WELL MAYBE YOU MIGHT NEED IT ... id rather have our 2 trucks , 3 cars , 2 boats , quad , gold cart and our life then 20K in shit that will rot

Good points about the things that will rot, and why it is not too wise to go overboard on foods that you would not normally eat. On the other hand, you can't eat the quad or the boat if food supply gets short, granted, you might be able to use the boat to go fishing, if you have fuel, or wind power to get you there and back.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
To me it would depend on what you have now and what you're storing for. Short term food is cheap, and most keeps for several years. Just go the store and buy 2 carts full of canned goods, a cart of pasta and rice and some Tabasco and you're good to go ;)

For ME?

I'd buy Mylar and 02 as my short term food storage is good and I'm way out of room for more of it. I'm starting to stock my mom's place as we're outta food and if SHTF she'd end up here anyways. Plus she's not well off and it'd be a way for me to help with her grocery bill without just giving her $$ which she doesn't like doing.

So if I had more short term storage for food, I'd keep stocking the day to day things we use now, plenty of TP and toiletries and lots of canned goods.
As it is right now I have started my rice and bean stock pile and have my buckets, just need Mylar and 02 absorbers and finish buying more rice for stock pile.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I live in a rural house on 3 acres. I have a garden and a river 300 yards from the house. I also have a basement to store some stuff in. I have alittle can food. What I'm really interested in is 6 months of shtf food and necesities.  I have a wood stove for heat and tons of tree's.  I bought one of those plastic 55 gallon barrels for water storage the other day.
     I have a 500 gallon propane tank that I usually keep 150-200 gallons of propane in. My stove top is propane. I'm thinking of setting up some kind of water collection systern of the top of my metal shop. I will definetly bug in if I can. I have good neighbors and live 3 miles of the highway.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in a rural house on 3 acres. I have a garden and a river 300 yards from the house. I also have a basement to store some stuff in. I have alittle can food. What I'm really interested in is 6 months of shtf food and necesities.  I have a wood stove for heat and tons of tree's.  I bought one of those plastic 55 gallon barrels for water storage the other day.

Sounds like you are in good shape. To get to a 6 month level you will definitely want to store grains such as rice, oats, corn, and or wheat.

Rice and oats are easy to work with and last many years stored properly. Wheat stored properly will last until Armageddon, but needs more work to turn into flour.

For that you'll want a grinder these can run from $50-60 for a back to basics mill to  $400 for a country living grain mill. Do to the expense of a decent mill and the fact that I don't use a lot of wheat or flour in my normal diet I have stuck with mainly rice and oats.

You'll probably want to stockpile some legumes to add to your grains. Beans and rice combine nicely to make a nutritionally complete protein.

After that some sort of meat would be nice I have mostly canned beef, chicken, tuna and salmon for that.

If you have kids or like milk some powdered milk would be good.

Then you'll need some miscellaneous items like cooking oil (lots of it), salt, vinegar, spices, baking soda, etc.

There's more to add but I'll let someone else continue as it's time to go.

Here's a cool link that can get you an idea of how much you want.

http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7498-1-4070-1,00.html

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Peanut Butter - 1. lasts a long time 2. tastes yummy 3. high in protein and carbs 4. baits all tastey beasts
What more could you possibly ask for?

This. I wonder how much PB you could get for say 100 bucks. Seems like a good buy to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$350

$290 left

salt
pasta
canned hunts sauce

Good points about the things that will rot, and why it is not too wise to go overboard on foods that you would not normally eat. On the other hand, you can't eat the quad or the boat if food supply gets short, granted, you might be able to use the boat to go fishing, if you have fuel, or wind power to get you there and back.

The idea of fishing for most is pretty stupid.   Think of how many zombies will be stealing your shit while you are fishing?   How much fuel will you use in your boat per pound of fish?   Where will you get more fuel? And how about that garden the zombies will find unless you are in bfe?

Your most important things are water, food, shelter and the means to protect the first three.    Without this all your other stuff is useless.

That being said yes have fun don't just live to prep but until reasonable preps are in place i would put atleast $.10 on the dollar of my fun money into preps.

egg
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Good advice in above post.

To start I would go to BJs / Costco / Sams Club and buy in bulk. You will save enough on your normal food bill to buy the preps over time. Since you are just starting out, It would be good to have several months supplies by September because flu season will then be starting soon and this novel strain could get very nasty.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:09:22 AM EDT
[#18]
The only thing I would add to what others have recommended is a good water filter.  With a river close by you have a great source of water.  Get a good supply of food staples and maybe pick up some seed to provide fresh food to supplement the stored food.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 500 gallon propane tank that I usually keep 150-200 gallons of propane in. My stove top is propane. I'm thinking of setting up some kind of water collection systern of the top of my metal shop. I will definetly bug in if I can. I have good neighbors and live 3 miles of the highway.

Why keep your propane supplies so low? I try to keep all my tanks topped off at 85 percent (that's top end here so they don't pop off) I just got a 1000 gallon tank so that brings me up to 1800 stored right now, and the price is cheap now 1.05 instead of the winter premium.

Btw the tank only cost $500

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#20]
You'll have to register first before you can read this, but it is well worth the effort of doing so. This is perhaps the best guide and plan for food storage (item by item, with costs included) that I have ever seen.

http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182421

For at or just under $300, this guide shows you how to assemble a 1 year supply of food for one individual. So if your aim is currently a 6 month supply for two adults, then this plan will likely get you to where you need to be. You can always use the same plan later down the road to extend your food preps by another 6 months.

Then you'll have about $200 left over you can put toward your water supply needs. That said, I'd spend just a tad in excess of $500 total if need be and add a Big Berkey water filtration system to my preps. You can get them from readymaderesources.com for about $234.00. The Big Berkey system uses four 9" ceramic filters and will probably last a family a minimum of 4 years before they need to be replaced. But there have been reports of these serving in 3rd world villages for up to 20 years and still being effective. Even on the lower end (4 years), that is a tremendous amount of water for the price. With your nearby river, this system would all but assure you of a continuous supply of drinking water for years, in all but the most extreme drought situations.

There are so many people out there that think obtaining the basic items necessary for survival will cost tens of thousands of dollars. I really believe this is a major reason why more people don't attempt to prep. But by using a common sense plan, you can actually do yourself a great deal of good, even with just a $500 buy. Again, for right around or just a bit over $500, you can supply two people with 6 months worth of food and a 4 year supply of water. IMHO, that $500 investment would be a damn good one, considering the potential returns.

BTW, you mentioned rain water collection. Here is an ingenious little device I came across that would make that an easy thing to do. It takes advantage of the gutters you likely already have and is relatively inexpensive, though you could probably make your own version for a little less if you are skilled crafting gadgets.

Save The Rain Diverter

Good luck with meeting your goals. Now go! Get started!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Well it would bepend on what you are needing, if you want food invest in dried,canned, vacuum packed, or freese dried food , remember to only buy what you like to eat, so that way you are not hating life when you need it and can circulate your supplies throughout the years. Food,water,water purification, then gear. most people already have the basics and do not even realize it.if you have a house you probably have tools and cloths that you need already. You do not need to have the latest and greatest of everything. You need what works for you.If your short on food than get what you will need with powdered food and canned freese dried or vaccum packed items and then find other areas that you are lacking equipment. Gas stoves are great if you have gas...however they are not much good if you run out . Maybe get a few hundred in fuel for the stove and then keep it at that level if you are planning on bugging in.if not than get your bug out essantials for yourself. Maybe start getting a cache set up for if it is a bug out... you never know what this crasy world can through at you.Cover the basics and then work on the luxuries....FOOD,WATER, AND SHELTER...PROTECTION(guns and ammo). Remember that you best weapon is your mind. Get a few books to assist you in the survival areas and then practice your skills and try new things. You can read and type on a computer all day, but actually doing it is a whole nother story sometimes and being armed with knowledge is by far the best way to go.
Just do not get what you would like to have , but get what you need to have in order to survive what ever it is your planning for.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top