Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2009 11:06:12 AM EDT
Is the water that is heated by an MRE heater safe to drink? Or is it contaminated by the chemical reaction inside the heater. I'm trying to think of a way to heat water while on the move, or without fire. I have plenty of ways to start a fire.. just looking for bug out alternatives.

Don't need a lot of water, just for things like hot tea, oatmeal, ramen...

If the water isnt safe to drink, maybe use it for a double boiler setup?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't drink water out of the bag the heater is in.

I've heated water for shaving by filling an empty MRE bag with water and then placing the heater bag inside of it, I suppose you could drink water heated that way but you would have to be careful to keep the steam/liquid from the heater from getting mixed in into your potable water.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Isn't there a Hot Beverage Bag in most MRE's now?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC the MRE heaters use an iron, magnesium, silica, and sodium chloride combo. All the ingredients are non toxic but unless you had a severe water shortage I would not drink the water, probably tastes like rusty salty water anyways.

Besides if you have a severe water shortage you got bigger problems than needing a warm meal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
The by-product stinks to high-hell and give off a flammable gas.  I can't imagine it would taste too good, even if it was safe to consume.  Plus my younger soldiers had a great time crushing the heater component into dust/chunks, pouring them into empty plastic 16oz. bottles, adding a little water, capping, shaking and them lobbing them at unsuspecting people.  They gave off a satisfying mini-tannerite KA-BOOM!

Hmmm....maybe you should drink some and then jump up and down for a little while (on video please...) and give us a report!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The by-product stinks to high-hell and give off a flammable gas.  I can't imagine it would taste too good, even if it was safe to consume.  Plus my younger soldiers had a great time crushing the heater component into dust/chunks, pouring them into empty plastic 16oz. bottles, adding a little water, capping, shaking and them lobbing them at unsuspecting people.  They gave off a satisfying mini-tannerite KA-BOOM!

Hmmm....maybe you should drink some and then jump up and down for a little while (on video please...) and give us a report!  

That would be one helluva burp!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
trioxane and a old coke can would be a lot better for your needs, during the day no smoke and can't be seen, at night a simple poncho or hasty H cut out on the ground would keep you concealed.

ive used it in survival training with great resuls
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Good info. Thanks for the replies. I know the basic principles behind the heaters, Ive just never used one. I'll probably go the trioxane route, since they are compact and nicely sealed. A surplus store here had a big stash a while back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top