Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 3:46:12 PM EDT
Enough flu threads, lets get to discussing some good stuff!

I'm looking to get a level IIIA helmet for SHTF, Zombie, or last minute halloween GI Joe costume use.
PASGT style looks like it gives more coverage but from what I can gather through google it makes shooting prone more challenging?
There just isn't much out there comparing the two and I can't exactly try them on at walmart, so if any of the BTDT crowd could chime in I'd appreciate it.

I've got the basics and then some well covered, so I don't need any get more food or water posts.
I also don't need any "why would you get a ballistic helmet" responses, it's my money I just want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both styles.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The PASGT helmet will offer you a marginal amount of additional neck/base of the skull coverage.  It's not enough to get excited about, though.

I've worn both where it counts.  You'll like the ACH/MICH much better.  They are much lighter, much more comfortable, much easier to fit (meaning it moves around less on your head) and easier to shoot with (no more stupid "visor").  

I can't think of a single reason I'd wear a PASGT over an ACH/MICH.  That was one of the few "upgrades" within the last few years where soldiers actually said, "THANK GOD!"
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The PASGT helmet will offer you a marginal amount of additional neck/base of the skull coverage.  It's not enough to get excited about, though.

I've worn both where it counts.  You'll like the ACH/MICH much better.  They are much lighter, much more comfortable, much easier to fit (meaning it moves around less on your head) and easier to shoot with (no more stupid "visor").  

I can't think of a single reason I'd wear a PASGT over an ACH/MICH.  That was one of the few "upgrades" within the last few years where soldiers actually said, "THANK GOD!"

words of wisdom here..........ACH/MICH is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've worn both, and the only advantage to the PASGT is that the brim keeps rain from dripping in the wearer's face and eyewear.  However, the MICH is not only better ballistically, but for impacts, and the lack of the brim helps here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an old pasgt that is in mint condition. Any upgrades available for it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]

You might look into upgrading/updating the suspension system.  It makes a world of difference in wearer comfort.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
MICH is my choice of the two. MICH comes with a jumpable suspension system and moveable padding.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this -
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Oregon Aero makes a great new four point strap /pad system that you might look into.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Larue baseball cap.

I never intend to get in a situation I need shit like that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I much prefer the ACH...but when you wear one for hours on end you definately notice the difference from the older Kevlar.  Don't forget that they are mostly for shrapnel protection and the stray pistol bullet.  I think you would be better served having a decent rappelling/bicycle helmet which will protect your noggin from most flying debris or falls.  I would use the inexpensive type of helmet for throwing in the car/truck going to work or traveling and if you decide on a ballistic helmet, leave it at the house for protection against the zombies.  If you opt for the less expensive older PASGT version, definately get the upgraded padding system.  You do make a good point, if you get a ballistic helmet, try doing a little prone shooting with it...you may need to make some adjustments.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
A helmet only works when you are wearing it.  You are much more likely to keep the MICH/ACH on than the old K-Pot.  It's lighter and much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Larue baseball cap.

All the SF guys I have seen all wear baseball caps. I intend to keep a very low profile if SHTF. Like mountaineering "light is right"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for the advice!

I ordered this model from Gall's
http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=clearance&style=TE623

Fortunately I got it on sale for $299 plus another 10% off from a discount code I saw in another thread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Larue baseball cap.

+1 Under Armour for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#16]
When SHTF, I need to blend in...so this is my choice.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah you guys are right, blending in is the best way to go, in fact since the sheep won't have guns, I'm gonna ditch all my weapons so I "blend in" with the herd.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you go to the grocery store in a ballistic helmet, but this place is about preparing for disaster. If a guy has his finances, food, water, shelter, and defenses in order it sure does sound smart to get some ballistic protection too.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah you guys are right, blending in is the best way to go, in fact since the sheep won't have guns, I'm gonna ditch all my weapons so I "blend in" with the herd.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you go to the grocery store in a ballistic helmet, but this place is about preparing for disaster. If a guy has his finances, food, water, shelter, and defenses in order it sure does sound smart to get some ballistic protection too.

it also is one of the better ways to mount nvgs
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#19]
The LWH (used by the Marines) is the PASGT cut with the same ballistic protection as the ACH/MICH.  It provides 11 percent more coverage. However, that being said I prefer the ACH style because it is a bit easier to use comm gear with.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:27:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Neither.  For around $20 you can get a new condition GI steel pot with camo cover.  Why?  Neither the old steel pot nor the newer ballistic/kevlar helmets will stop a rifle round, even at long range.  Both will stop a 9mm.  Save your money...the liklihood of you ever needing a helmet AND receiving a 5.56 round in the noggin at like 1,500m are astronomically low.

The marginal step up in performance coupled with the extremely low probability that that performance will be needed simply do not justify the HUGE increase in price.

I started a steel helmet collection, mostly inexpensive cold war stuff.  There are some really cool designs, all are in new or excellent condition, and all were purchased for around $20.  Ultimately, given the one in a million that I'll need a helmet, I have extras for the family.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oregon Aero makes a great new four point strap /pad system that you might look into.  

+1  SIGNIFICANT difference and theres always a guy on the EE selling them for something like $50

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top