Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2009 1:23:32 PM EDT
Just curious.  Everything would transfer into a home setup just fine?

Trailer
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw that trailer on a website something about guy built it so he wouldn't have to run a gennie. Wish I could remember  maybe backwoods home or something like that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#2]
more than $12000 retail

eta a 0
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saw that trailer on a website something about guy built it so he wouldn't have to run a gennie. Wish I could remember  maybe backwoods home or something like that.

Very similar to this one in Backwoods home article part 1 and part 2.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
With 6x195w panels could this thing run a home AC?
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It depends on the details regarding the inverter and the specific AC unit...  another important question is if it can run that AC unit, then for how long???
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The big problem I see is that its not stealthy at all. Id much rather have the solar panel mounted on top, and some how camoflauged whether it be a simple tarp or some kind of "permanent ladders". Other than that I Like it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting. I might want that....let's try to figure out what it wuld cost to build from scratch just to compare
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very similar to this one in Backwoods home article part 1 and part 2.
that's the one I saw !  You are right its not same just similar

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
About $12k or a thou or 2 less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
There isn't enough time or money to do all things I would like to do
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Too bad we couldn't get a group buy for some panels. I am making plans to build another array of 8 more panels and will probably get the BPSX3190 panels from here:

http://www.thesolar.biz/solar_panels.htm

To get 2 pallets or a minimum of 40 panels would bring the cost down to 3.05/watt. My big array is made of the BPSX3200 modules. I paid over 4.00/watt for those.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The xantrex inverters, although full of great sounding features, do not have a very good reputation among many folks that deal with renewable energy for a living. The Trojan batteries are also a thing of the past (many years ago they were the battery of choice, but have since gone by the wayside).  The other bad thing about buying used batteries is that it's really hard to tell what kind of shape they are in or how they were used throughout their lifespan thus far.  Batteries can last anywhere from 2-20 years depending on how they were treated.  The more times that you drain them to lower levels the shorter their expected lifespan.  For example, if you use up only 5% of your battery bank capacity every day, your batteries may last 20 years, but if you use 80% of your capacity every day then they might only last 2 years.  Other factors like how often they have been equalized and if they have been equalized correctly also play an important role in battery life.
I found a great deal through a small company in southern CA.  Look them up or give them a call (800) 341 7027 or google Hardy Solar.  The lady that does the engineering for the company wires up everything for ya and sends it to you ready to hang on the wall and do the final simple connections.  I was quoted a price pretty similar to what is being asked for that trailer and that is for all new equipment and everything needed to set up the system.  YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top