Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 4:41:05 PM EDT
I know we've had a few of these.. but I just went through all 63 pages and cant find the thread(s) ...   just real quick.. whats your fav survival watch .. model # if you know it... (as there is an ass load of Casio G Shock models for ex...) and anything else you would like to add....

Thanks everyone !!

Camm
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Solar powered digital, or an automatic winding diver.

Timex and  Seiko are my favorites.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Brietling stainless steel Superocean
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Marathon GSAR...my ultimate SHTF watch!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Solar powered digital, or an automatic winding diver.

Timex and  Seiko are my favorites.

I've got this version of the Timex and I've been less then thrilled. It only charges to half and after 2 months the indiglo stopped working. I emailed them and they said I could have it fixed for $7. It's obviously a bad piece, but whatever. When this one dies I'll probably get a Suunto or some other nicer brand.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that Teague. Was heavily considering that particular model as well. Wonder what they fix for $7.00?

Looked at the Suuntos, but they appear to be as bulky as the G Shocks. Got a solar Casio Pathfinder maybe 5 years ago... still works, but it's so huge it rarely sees any wrist time - no matter how many useful features it has.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have 550 watch bands?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#7]
how are the swiss army (wenger) type watches?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear that Teague. Was heavily considering that particular model as well. Wonder what they fix for $7.00?

Looked at the Suuntos, but they appear to be as bulky as the G Shocks. Got a solar Casio Pathfinder maybe 5 years ago... still works, but it's so huge it rarely sees any wrist time - no matter how many useful features it has.

I think they said it was for shipping and handling, but it also had an awful turn around time that wasn't worth it. I sent a knife back to kabar for free and had it back real quick, and shipping one way definitely didn't cost $7. Besides those two issues though, I like the watch; but I won't be getting another one. One of the guys I know has one of the Suuntos and I've been really impressed by it.

ETA: I also asked if they fixed the problem or if they were going to be replacing the indiglo with another messed up one. and she didn't answer but said if it did to send it back again. I'm not paying $7 every two months to replace it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Can't live without my Luminox, accurate and you can see time in the dark, all night long. 4 Screws to change out the common battery. Light and rugged. Bought my brother one two years before mine and his is battle tested on two tours, one in Afghan the other in Iraq. Worn as all hell but ticks and keeps time. His had the tritium fall off the second hand tho, but mine doesnt get hard abuse like that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#10]
G-Shock solar here. I'm on my second one-took the little metal rollcage of the last one and installed it on the new one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Wenger that I have worn pretty much every day for about 5 1/2 years. I have replaced the battery once, and it keeps real good time. I don't abuse it, but it has been camping on numerous occasions, and in both fresh and salt water with no ill effects. I would buy another one.

I have been looking at the Citizen Eco-drive. Any one have any experience with these? This is the one I'm thinking about getting:

linky

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#12]
G-shock solar.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brietling stainless steel Superocean

+1,000,000 or a rolex explorer II
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
For a traditional (non-digital) style watch, a cannot say enough good things about my Luminox. Its the least expensive of the Swiss dive watches and it has real tritium on the hands same as the night sights on my handguns. Mine came with a stainless steel band and rubberized dive style band. The ss band did not take hard abuse well but looked great, I replaced it with the rubber one and no problems. After 6 years I finally managed to crack the crystal (the watch continued to work fine though), I sent it to their service dept and they replaced it for the cost of shipping ($5) and changed the battery too and had it back to me in 1 week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#15]
G-Shock Atomic Solar

Av.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a plain-jane Timex Expedition digital that I bought back in 2004.

Wore it for a few years in Iraq, dove with it several times in the Pacific.

It found it's way into a foot locker and was forgotten when I came home and returned to wearing a "regular" watch. Found it when I started going through my gear to go back to the sandbox - it was still dead on for time, so I threw it on my wrist and have been wearing it since. Had to epoxy the velcro back to a piece of the band a few days ago, but it's still going strong.

Short of a Mad Max scenario requiring a wind up watch or some such, I can't ask for more from a time piece. Will buy another if/when this one lets go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It found it's way into a foot locker and was forgotten when I came home and returned to wearing a "regular" watch. Found it when I started going through my gear to go back to the sandbox - it was still dead on for time, so I threw it on my wrist and have been wearing it since. Had to epoxy the velcro back to a piece of the band a few days ago, but it's still going strong.

Short of a Mad Max scenario requiring a wind up watch or some such, I can't ask for more from a time piece. Will buy another if/when this one lets go.

Does yours have the built-in uber-cool digital compass?  Right now I'm facing 315º.  No wait, 325º...327º

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does yours have the built-in uber-cool digital compass?  Right now I'm facing 315º.  No wait, 325º...327º

Nope. Closest I can find in their current lineup is this one:

Expedition w/ Chronograph and Alarm

Though mine looks a bit different.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the Casio Triple Sensor Watch It has Compas, Altimeter, Barometer, and Thermometer. Nice back light. So far it has worked well for me.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I like older wind up watches, I collect WWII US Military ones and in my experance wearing them everyday they run fine no matter what and keep good time. Sometimes when I buy them they are not running but a local jewler friend sends them out to a watch repair guy for me to be fixed. Never cost me more then $60
 One I have been wearing the most last couple of years is a black face Waltham, runs great. I also have a wind up Rolex bubble back from the 1940s that I like and runs good too but most times I wear the Waltham
 While these military watchs can be pricey (if people selling them know what they are) you can still get other older quality wind ups on the cheap...I have a swiss movement military watch that was probably a PX WWII buy that I paid $5 for and it runs great and stood up fine.

Yeah maybe none of these are tactical cool but they keep good time and are sturdy and you don't ever have to worry about a battery.....and they work for me!.....T.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#21]

I've got a G-Shock Solar right now, got tired of buying new timex watches and bands and figured I'd try the G-Shock.  In a perfect world I'd probably have a GSAR but that's just too much coin
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I have a Wenger that I have worn pretty much every day for about 5 1/2 years. I have replaced the battery once, and it keeps real good time. I don't abuse it, but it has been camping on numerous occasions, and in both fresh and salt water with no ill effects. I would buy another one.

I have been looking at the Citizen Eco-drive. Any one have any experience with these? This is the one I'm thinking about getting:

linky

I love my eco-drive. I got this model Link , the Christmas before last, and it has been a excellent watch. I wear it every day, and although it's not tactical or "rugged", it's very well built. The best thing I like is it does it's main job, telling time, superbly well. It is always dead on accurate to the official time, and with the perpetual calendar the days are always correct no matter the month (even leap year is calculated into it). This is my second eco-drive, the first was a lower model with a rubber watch band. it was a great watch until the band retention ring (also rubber) broke, and on the particular model it had a design specific band which I could not replace with the standard rack bought bands. From now on it's only metal bands for me. So for me this is a great SHTF watch, because it accurately tells the time and date, is near limitless recharging ability, it wears well with anything from jeans to a suit so I wear it with everything I wear, and with it being always on me it is most likely the watch I'll be wearing when SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Casio G-shock this bitch is bomb proof.  It survived an IED in Iraq.

I am also quite partial to my self winding RussArmy watch too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I like the Casio Triple Sensor Watch It has Compas, Altimeter, Barometer, and Thermometer. Nice back light. So far it has worked well for me.

http://www.campmor.com/wcsstore/Campmor//static/images/watches/larger/83862_l.jpg

I like that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

linky

I love my eco-drive. I got this model Link , the Christmas before last, and it has been a excellent watch. I wear it every day, and although it's not tactical or "rugged", it's very well built. The best thing I like is it does it's main job, telling time, superbly well. It is always dead on accurate to the official time, and with the perpetual calendar the days are always correct no matter the month (even leap year is calculated into it). This is my second eco-drive, the first was a lower model with a rubber watch band. it was a great watch until the band retention ring (also rubber) broke, and on the particular model it had a design specific band which I could not replace with the standard rack bought bands. From now on it's only metal bands for me. So for me this is a great SHTF watch, because it accurately tells the time and date, is near limitless recharging ability, it wears well with anything from jeans to a suit so I wear it with everything I wear, and with it being always on me it is most likely the watch I'll be wearing when SHTF.

I've worn an Eco-Drive for about six years now, and I agree that they are the best value in quality watches out there.  Perpetual calendar is great.  Solar-powered, 200m water-resist, hard mineral crystal - things you find on watches two to three times the cost.  Good choice here.  The only thing that bugs me about it is trying to remember how to adjust the date (in case I accidently screw it up.)  I always have to find the owner's manual for that.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Casio G-Shock....10yr battery life...all the bells and whistles.

Happy Trails!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:38:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I have the Eco-drive also, the bad part is the crystal stands out above the watch and makes it easier to chip. Other than that it is a great watch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:08:43 AM EDT
[#28]
How about a completely EMP proof watch?

link

Really though I'm a big seiko automatic fan. Dirt cheap, accurate, and the hardlux mineral crystal is phenomenal.

Speed
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Got it for Father's Day last year and couldn't be happier.  It's been camping fishing hunting boating snorkeling car fixin', everything, and looks brand new.  I have skinny wrists and it's not as clunky as other dive style watches on me.  It also has an unobtrusive/shrouded crown and is flexible enough that it doesn't dig into the top of my hand - a problem I had with other watches.  I only wish it had a way to lock down the free end of the strap better, something like the Ironman watches have.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#31]
G-Shock solar model 2300b with nylon band.  Bought on ebay for under $50.

I wear it with complete disregard for it's safety
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Suunto X9
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#33]
casio sport "pathfinder" triple sensor had it for close to a year now and love it, but when i first got it , it felt so damn big but it will grow on ya..
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know we've had a few of these.. but I just went through all 63 pages and cant find the thread(s) ...   just real quick.. whats your fav survival watch .. model # if you know it... (as there is an ass load of Casio G Shock models for ex...) and anything else you would like to add....

Thanks everyone !!

Camm

Whatever cheap below 40.00 I picked up after I killed my last one. If its got a timer and the time and is waterproof, im good
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#35]
funny i was at casio today getting a new band put on my solar g-shock. nice people to deal with too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for Luminox.  I've had mine since 2002, replaced battery once, both band pins and a couple of bands.  It's been shook to death by chainsaws and ATVs, several thousand rounds of 223 recoil, it's been dipped in just about every liquid except acid and it's still going and keeps accurate time.  The tritium works fine too.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
G-Shock solar model 2300b with nylon band.  Bought on ebay for under $50.

I wear it with complete disregard for it's safety

Same here. I did change the stock band to a Zulu.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-Classic-Watch-G2300B-1V/dp/B000AR7RVI/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1238206541&sr=1-24
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't wear watches... they don't last but a few days, and they break... pocketwatches last maybe a week or two.

So, over the years, I've learned to do without.  If the sun is out, I can tell time within 15 minutes (if I can see the horizon)... same with the moon.

Guess I'm lucky, I work for myself, so I get up when I want, go to work when I want, eat when I want, etc.  Heckuva lot less stressful since I gave up the slavery of the timepiece.

Only use I might have for one, is if I were coordinating something on a tactical type of mission...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm going to assume you're not looking to spend this kind of money anyway, but stay away from Brietling. I have two, including the previously recommended Superocean, and they've been nothing but trouble––expensive trouble, too.

I'm currently wearing a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1200 and it's been a top performer.

It has many (or all) of the same functions as the (incredible) G-Shock line without the clunky appearance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#41]
FreeStyle HammerHead.  Have owned several big name watches over the years, FreeStyle is the only one I wear now days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Marathon TSAR and Seiko Black Monster, here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a Bertucci A-2T that has held up well.
I like the following.
Simple design.
Glow in the dark.
The crown screws in and is protected by the watch housing.
The bands are cheap rugged.
Watch is made of one piece.  There are no band pins to break or fall out

I have broke a few watched when taking my back pack on and off.  The crown gets caught and pulled out or the band pins break.  I have beat this Bertucci up pretty good and not a single issue.  it is really tuff.
It has survived trips through Nigeria, Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel and plenty of others...still going strong.

Mine looks like this one..

http://www.rei.com/product/745614

I have an Omega Seamaster as well but for SHTF I would grab the Bertucci.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:55:01 AM EDT
[#44]

watches=$$$$
$$$$+ammo
buy ammo
if you really need to know the time, look at you cell phone
unless it's for fashion
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Been wearing my Tag daily for over 12 years.  Had to replace battery once every 4 or 5 years.  It has far outlasted my G-Shock which got much less wear.  A non solar G-Shock has horrible battery life, especally if you use the back light feature.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I have 3... a Casio Tough Solar, a Casio w\10 yr battery, and a Rolex Explorer automatic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Here is my main watch. I bought it because it isn't expensive, it is not much heavier than my
Timex Expedition that I was rusting to pieces, and it did not need a special watchband. If the
watchband breaks I could get one at WalMart and have it back on my wrist until such time
as I could order the correct one.  
Citizen 180 watch

I also have this one. It has day/date/month/moon phase on it. (Moon phase is not important
to me, but that's the way it came)
Citizen Calibre 8651
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

watches=$$$$
$$$$+ammo
buy ammo
if you really need to know the time, look at you cell phone
unless it's for fashion

If your cell phone can survive some of the abuse I've given my G-Shock, I would be surprised.

Av.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm going to assume you're not looking to spend this kind of money anyway, but stay away from Brietling. I have two, including the previously recommended Superocean, and they've been nothing but trouble––expensive trouble, too.

I'm currently wearing a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1200 and it's been a top performer.

It has many (or all) of the same functions as the (incredible) G-Shock line without the clunky appearance.

Yeah... I wasn't looking to spend that much for a daily wear...  I  actually have a Brietling and a Cartier that I use for dressed up occaisions..   But after looking at a few options... I'm really digging the Casio Pathfinder series...  lots of cool gadgets...   and yeah Dave .. the 1200 looks like a good one.. .thx for the recommendation !

Thanks all !!  

Camm
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Seiko MIL self winding.

I love the old Seiko diver self winders but I've never heard of those.  Got a link??  Thanks TJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top