Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2008 11:33:24 PM EDT
What's out there right now that is close to 4 feet long and big enough otherwise to hold like a large rifle, like AR with carry handle scope (I haven't measured mine)
Needs to be air/water tight for long storage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local Home Depot or building supply.  They sell thick walled, large diameter PVC pipes and associated fittings in any length you want.  You can cement two caps on (permanently sealed) or you can cement one cap and use a threaded plug fitting on the other end (removeable).  Either way, it will be waterproof.  Be sure to purge the moist air before sealing - you don't want condensation happening inside the sealed container.

P.S. - I use a miniature version of this to store and transport my Dewey cleaning rods so they are not damaged or soiled.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Go to your local Home Depot or building supply.  They sell thick walled, large diameter PVC pipes and associated fittings in any length you want.  You can cement two caps on (permanently sealed) or you can cement one cap and use a threaded plug fitting on the other end (removeable).  Either way, it will be waterproof.  Be sure to purge the moist air before sealing - you don't want condensation happening inside the sealed container.

P.S. - I use a miniature version of this to store and transport my Dewey cleaning rods so they are not damaged or soiled.

I've never seen pipe THAT BIG at those places? I figure I must need about 8" ID pipe.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#3]
the carry handle mounted scope is what's killing you. if possible, take the scope off and store it seperately in the same container. the PVC from the home improvements store will be a cheaper route. a large pack of dessicant tossed in will also help prevent moisture problems.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZAA063-1.html

It's a bit more pricey than going to Lowes or home depot and buying PVC, but it has the 8" diameter you're looking for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]

If you take the scope or the pistol grip off, it will streamline your rifle for storage purposes.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure if you remove the scope and grip to put the tools for reattchment in with the rifle as well as food for it.  It's useless without the food, it's just a bad club.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Be sure to purge the moist air before sealing - you don't want condensation happening inside the sealed container.

What are you using to purge the air?  Would dry ice work?  Also before putting any metal in these I have read that you should put a thick layer of oil on the metal and then wrap it in saran wrap.  Is that a good idea?

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#8]
instead of taking the scope off why not just remove the upper from the lower?
then put it in the pipe.

also curious on how you would purge the air out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
instead of taking the scope off why not just remove the upper from the lower?
then put it in the pipe.

also curious on how you would purge the air out.

Here in New Mexico we just turn the tube upside down pour out the air, and wait until it gets 4% humidity.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking nitrogen and/or dessicant.  I think dry ice would work if suitable precautions were taken (cold = condensation, so be forewarned).

I assume some degree of disassembly will be done.  It's not as if you can dig it up and unseal it in a hurry.  This method of storage does not afford rapid access.  That you might have to reattach the grip or optic, or reassemble the two halves, does not sounds like a big deal to me.  If you need rapid access, this storage method is not the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Hot air expands.  Glue on the first cap, put your stuff inside w/ desiccant, set the top cap on, then set it out in the sun on a hot day.  After a couple of hours take off the top cap for a second to equalize pressure then glue it back on.  Take it back inside where it is cooler and a semi-vacuum should form in the tube.

OTOH, you might want it filled with nitrogen at higher than outside pressure to prevent oxygen from entering the tube.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I use Drain and Sewer pipe from Lowes to store spare shotgun barrels in an unheated garage. They are lighter and cheaper than PVC.

I put the barrel in one of the silicone impregnated "Bore Stores" type socks.

I put a VCI emitter (not from this site, but an example) and a dissicant container (metal box you can heat and reuse) in the tube.

Glue one end on with pipe dope. Dry fit the other one on and tape it with the silver duct tape (like they use on air conditioning duct work- got it from ACE).

I've used this arrangement for years with never a spec of rust.

I do this inside my house, don't know what the humidity is, average, I guess. Nothing rusts inside my house.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#13]
6"x12"x32" rocket box,separate upper/lower,add a few packs of "do not eat"

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hot air expands.  Glue on the first cap, put your stuff inside w/ desiccant, set the top cap on, then set it out in the sun on a hot day.  After a couple of hours take off the top cap for a second to equalize pressure then glue it back on.  Take it back inside where it is cooler and a semi-vacuum should form in the tube.

I would not recommend this, at all.  Here's why.

If your seals leak (and ALL seals leak) it might be that the pressure differential (vacuum) sucks liquid water into the tube (if the ground you bury it in is really wet).  It would be better to have a positive pressure than a vacuum.  Neither will last forever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What's out there right now that is close to 4 feet long and big enough otherwise to hold like a large rifle, like AR with carry handle scope (I haven't measured mine)
Needs to be air/water tight for long storage.

Your going to need 10 inch pipe (even with the upper/lower seperated) and caps.  Caps are the killer at about 60 bucks a piece.

Remove the pistol grip and you may be able to fit into an 8 inch pipe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top