Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2008 8:52:06 AM EDT
I'm starting to come to the realization that our house is not stocked NEARLY well enough to support our family in a "bug-in" situation.

Security/firearms/ammo/woodstove/generator/stashed cash, etc...  not a problem. Already set to go with that stuff.

Food, water, toiletries, etc... are the main concern. We can do without electric... so a generator and massive supply of fuel just isn't needed. The woodstove will heat the whole house, no problem.

My household consists of Myself, wife, 4 daughters (16,13,8 & 7) and a 2yr old boy.

I'm looking for suggestions on what *bare minimums* should be sitting on the shelves in our basement for a 30-day, in-house quarantine.

Currently, we go thru approx 1.5-2 gallons of milk per day. Using that as a gage, I can probably figure on 40-60 gallons of fresh water to keep on hand.
To keep things simple...  canned and dry goods are my primary interest. As a rough estimate, I was figuring approx 2-3 cans of soup/chunky soup/veggies/whatever per day... for roughly 60-90 canned items...

Am I on the right track ?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
200lbs of rice 200lbs of beans would be a good start
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
50 lbs of rice - 14$
10 lbs of beans - 5-15$
2lbs of salt
1 lb sugar
spices
20-30 assorted canned soups
20-30 canned veggies/fruits
20-30 cans of assorted meats
comfort/junk food- this  is
crackers,cookies,chips,canned pudding,canned fruit mix, cholate bars, cocco,coffe, small..repeat...SMALL bottle of booze( again comfort not a binge)
canned juice,soda,water

this is over 30 days worth but, is an 'overstocked" pantry for most, and "alot" of food for others....

its very similar to my shortterm stocks that are seperate from my pantry..
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
With the chance of being stuck in the house with 5 women and a two year old for an extended period, I would have a good supply of ear plugs put back.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

On a serious note, write down everything you use for a week.  Mutliply it by 4 and you've got your list.

David
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
With the chance of being stuck in the house with 5 women and a two year old for an extended period, I would have a good supply of ear plugs put back.

David

I figured the handcuffs and duct tape would be just as effective.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

David

good one....man,,ya know my FIL was in that boat ..now he just rides around on his lot cutting grass all day sipping miller  high life,, and doesnt talk much.....
j/k he talks.....and works,, but 1st sign of women mess he gets to cutting grass
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

David

I figured the handcuffs and duct tape would be just as effective.

Now you're thinking!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:31:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
200lbs of rice 200lbs of beans would be a good start

Ya after the third day the wiminz will curse the day you were

born and then crucify you
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
There was a list posted that broke down what to buy with 10$ every week to get a good sized food stock over the course of a year.. (i had the list but cant find it).. if one took that and spent 10$ or more at a time it would be a good guide to work from.

Sorry I cant find it, or I would post here.

x~
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Currently, we go thru approx 1.5-2 gallons of milk per day.

Freeze Dry Milk

There is a seller on ebay that sells freeze dry food (some surplus) at resonable price.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
As a bare minimum:

Suggested amount
(person/month)

25 lb.
Wheat, white rice, corn, and other grains
5 lb.
Dry beans and other legumes

But that's going to get REALLY old REALLY fast.  I'd add it as a backup.  Most of my food for my first 3 months is canned food.  We have a lot of refried beans, chili, soups, vegetables, and fruits for our canned stuff.

ETA:  I found the list for a years worth, don't know how much it'll help you in this case.

Week 1: Fill those water jugs--14 gallons per family member for two week supply. Buy water purification tablets or bleach (1 gallon per family member)
Week 2: Flour-Buy an extra 10 lbs for small family, 25 lbs for large family. Purchase 100 lbs of hard white wheat preferably in plastic storage buckets with tight fitting lids or dry packed in #10 cans.
Week 3: Salt-iodized (5 lbs per person)
Week 4: Sweeteners-honey 20 lbs, sugar 25 lbs and any additional sweeteners you can find on sale such as brown or powdered sugar, con syrup, maple syrup or flavoring to make your own.
Week 5: Powdered milk. 40 oz will make 5 gallons. Buy the equivalent of at least 3 #10 cans of powdered milk this week. . .more if you can.
Week 6: Sugar-buy another 25 lbs.
Week 7: Peanut Butter-add some jams or jellies. Buy the equivalent of 3 more #10 cans of powdered milk.
Week 8: Pasta - buy at least 5 lbs. Select a variety.
Week 9: Canned Meats-tuna, chicken, turkey, ham, spam, dried beef, etc. (10 cans).
Week 10: Condensed soups-also add boxes of favorite crackers.
Week 11: Laundry items-detergent, bleach, fabric softener, ammonia, disinfectant.
Week 12: Canned milk, Flour 25 lbs.
Week 13: Toothpaste, floss, razors, shaving cream.
Week 14: Baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch. Purchase at least 5 lbs. of yeast.
Week 15: Raisins or other dried fruits. Dried apples from dry pack, fruit leather.
Week 16: Oats - rolled, quick, cornmeal, Cream of Wheat, etc.
Week 17: Treats for baking-chocolate chips, coconut, baking cocoa.
Week 18: Garden seeds--look for seeds that are non-hybrid. That way you can use the seeds from the plants you grow to grow a garden the next season. Buy a lot of vegetable seeds, they have lots of vitamins and minerals. Include a few flower seeds. In times of emergency, our spirits need brightening, too. Don't forget fertilizer.
Week 19: Spices-cinnamon, nutmeg, oregano, dried onions, pepper, etc.
Week 20: Whole wheat flour, wheat, other grains
Week 21: Paper towels, aluminum foil, wax paper, garbage bags, freezer bags, etc.
Week 22: Graham Crackers, 200 lbs of wheat, 25 lbs of rice.
Week 23: Personal products-bar soap, deodorant, shampoo, lotion, feminine products.
Week 24: Canned fruits--buy some or can your own..
Week 25: Jell-) and pudding mixes. (3) #10 cans of powdered milk.
Week 26: Vitamins-multi-vitamins, vitamin C, etc.
Week 27: Canned potatoes, potato pearls from the dry pack, dried potato slices
Week 28: Canning supplies-jars, lids, sure-jell, paraffin, rings.
Week 29: Kleenex and toilet paper
Week 30: Water storage-check your water supply. Purchase another 55 gallon drum and fill it with water.
Week 31: Catsup, mustard, salad dressing, mayo, pickles
Week 32: Gallon of vinegar, good for cleaning and cooking
Week 33: Candles, matches-put where you can find in the dark. Hurricane lamps and oil. (NOTE: You should have 1000-2000 matches on hand)
Week 34: Tomato products-juice, sauce, paste, whole, Spaghetti sauce
Week 35: Juices-avoid watered products, but 100% juice, lemon, orange, fruit drink.
Week 36: Mixes: cake, muffin, Bisquick, etc. Purchase or make your own.
Week 37: First Aid Supplies: Band aids, calamine, neosporin, etc.
Week 38: Other medicines: Pepto Bismol, Vicks, Cough Syrup, cough drops, Tylenol
Week 39: Nuts. Dry roasted store best. Try freezing them.
Week 40: Sewing Supplies-thread, buttons, snaps, zippers, fabric, etc.
Week 41: Dry Soup mixes - remember to store enough extra water.
Week 42: More first aid-gauze pads, swabs, cotton balls, tape, burn ointment.
Week 43: Dried whole eggs (buy 2 cans and keep in a cool, dry place), 2 Boxes of Rennet (used for making cottage cheese and other dairy products from dry milk.)
Week 44: Lighting supplies-flashlights and batteries (dated), 50 hour candles
Week 45: Favorite family foods: stress foods like hard candy, popcorn, snack foods.
Week 46: Shortening (2 cans), Oil (2 gallons) preferably Canola or Olive Oil.
Week 47: Beans, split peas, lentil, etc.
Week 48: Heating supplies-firewood, kerosene, propane for BBQ grill, charcoal.
Week 49: Rice-10, 15 or 20 pounds
Week 50: Canned vegetables-corn, peas, string beans, creamed corn, etc.
Week 51: Margarine Powder (#10 can), 2 large cans of fruit juice powder
Week 52: Congratulations! You have just given yourself and your family the greatest Christmas gift of all. . .SECURITY!!! Now take inventory of your storage, assess your family's needs and start a new year of staying prepared.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top