User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2008 1:33:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My AAR:

We had a few new faces and a few old ones, commendations to BSOG, theghost, "the Marine" and Waldo for showing up in a strange place with a bunch of strangers.  Many many thanks to haloemt for helpingout with the cold weather health section.  nsw was unable to make it which left a big hole is Saturday's schedule.

We did manage to toss together a debris shelter for one of the guys who had basically a summer type bivvy shelter.  Apparently it broke the wind and kept enough f the weather at bay so he had a decent night's sleep.  This tied in well with haloemet's presentation as far as limit exposure to wind, etc.  I can say that now we can face a VERY cold night with confidence and even comfort.  

Some of the unique items included water.  While we all packed in water, most of it froze solid over Friday night.  I am considering rigging a solar heating gadget with some black and clear poly in the future.  Needless to say, we went thru a LOT of firewood, which impacts the area as to future use in cold weather.  I still have a nasty cough and irritated eyes fromt he smoke chasing me around the fire..

Kudos to all who packed in, it's less than half a mile but interesting terrain.  The ATV proved itself again as a mechanical pack mule.  It took 3 loads for all my junk, reember I use a cot and a tent heater.  We were camped on a high spot, and going down is harder than going up, especially since it was frozen solid

We ran a 7 target 'jungle lane Sunday morning, one shooter at a time. I'm happy to say I was impressed by the safe and accurate gunhandling by all participants.  And thanks again to Dave, for lending SBK an upper with an ACOG.  The kid made it work, and knowing where all the targets and 'hostages' were, proceeded to head shoot the bad guys..

We had no failures this trip except my memory, I forget my camera, folding chairs, white board, and darn near forgot my weapons.

Well done, to all participants.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you guys had a good time. I stayed home fighting this cold or infection, virus; whatever I have.

Now, post more pics

Speed
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Well that was a blast.  Learned lots I didn't know and practiced some I did know!

The fire was key all weekend!  So was the 20 Deg rated sleeping bag! It was no surprise to see that EVERYONE had everything they needed.
Thanks ops for the organization,  and thanks Davidc for the hospitality.
When I got home my wife dug out my old (1989) mountaineering firstaid book I got for xmas back when we used to backpack Mt Rainer.  Kinda tied in well with the winter first aid and hypothermia prevention techniques course.

Mt house ruled the weekend!   There was no bacon and eggs or steak and potatoes cooked over the fire or on the colemans.  It was all Freeze dried food and MRE's.

I am getting ready for the next campout!

Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Great weekend but I'm glad to be home. Thanks again Dave C for the great time and packing my stuff with the ATV. Also thanks for OPS for the use of yours to take it out. I too alot of gear!
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I am jealous I love winter camping
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
All attendees, make sure I have your Email addresses.

Ops
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top