Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 4:07:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to like Michelin LT series tires until I learned they are French owned. Other than being French owned, they were excellent tires and can be purchased at Sam's.

Goodyear makes good tires too.  Generals are too hard and will ruin the ride.

(Michelin owns BF Goodrich too )
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got BF Goodie All Terrain T/A KOs on my Chev and I love them. 60K and still going strong. They are a little noisier than normal tires, but they are a tough tire. This is the 3rd set I have put on this truck (CA was hard on my tires) and won't be my last. My dad, who swore off BF Goodies in the 70's, recently got a set for his truck, and he's impressed as well. Not sure how they fare for gas mileage though, my truck got crappy mileage anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't mind supporting the phrench now that Sarkozy is at the helm.

BFG's are good tires. all terrains last the longest.

hold on to your wallet though....all tires have gone way up in price latly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's, for the style they have awesome sidewalls. But they are stiff and the ride will be more like a truck. My wife will not let me put them on the Tahoe.

We went with some Goodyear Wranglers, less aggressive tread than the BF's, softer ride, weaker sidewall, but better than the original equipment tires that came on it.

FWIW, My wife is the primary driver of the Tahoe, I have to commute for work so I drive an Impala. So she gets the input on the Tahoe.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Wider tires use more gas and are more suited to bottomless conditions like sand.  Since sand is bottomless, wider tires float on top more since digging will just get you stuck.  

Mud tires tend  to be narrower so that they can dig down to the hardpan below the mud.

I had a Jeep with Grownd Hawgs on it and it was a beast.  I could stop and start in the mud, snow, it didn't matter.  I did get stuck in the sand in the NV desert though .
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:04:42 AM EDT
[#7]
BFG Radial AT!  I have owned several sets.  Costco seems to have the best deals, mount, balance, road hazard all included in the sticker price.  I just bought a new set and while hunting two weeks ago, I had a 4" rod go through the sidewall.  Costco mounted me a new tire and I was on the way in 15 minutes, without spending another dime.  

Even if you don't get them at Costco, it is a good place to get others to price match.  Make sure they give you all the benefits with the price.

A slightly wider tire will be no problem.  Even skinny tires will float on sand with aired down.  I dont' do intarweb off-road, I do the real thing.  Costco will not go more than two sizes over stock, and I bet many places are starting to do this.  Mine are 4 sizes over stock.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#9]
another vote for the BFG all terrains - perfect balance of traction and ride/low noise.  i'll be replacing the tires on my '02 3/4 ton sierra in a couple of weeks and the BFGs are my choice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
For snow go as narrow as you can.  For sand go as wide as you can.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#13]
My personal favorite tire for my 4x4 has been the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, quiet road ride but really digs in for off road, haven't got stuck once while hunting, also has proved damn good in the snow. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Michelin LTX M/S on my 04 tahoe with 1/2 the tread to go at 30K miles
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I put Toyo Open Countrys on my 97 Tahoe and in the 3,000 so far I really like them. Quiet ride and plenty tread depth for muddin' and MPG did not drop.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#16]
michelens are the best but way to expensive
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Cooper AT's or Bridgestone Dueler AT
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#18]
So far my favorite set of tires for my jeep are Kuhmo MT's. Road noise isn't bad, tread life so far has been great, and have been great in Mud, Snow, and at the Beach. I'd much rather drive in a downpour in my jeep now than my car. Can't say much about the gas thing as I went up to a larger tire and didn't change the gears. I had great success with the Dunlop Mud Rovers also, but they were a bit loud. Whatever you do, make sure to keep the proper presure in the tires and they will last a long time!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Headsup for the OP, I just spent 2 hours at Sams Club waiting for them to install tires that didn't get mounted. Seems Sams Club is switching to some "safe" tire mounting machine that doesn't have enough air pressure to mount truck tires. So now I have tires, but I have to pay someone else to mount/balance them. Joy. My truck is a 2003 Silverado, probably the same tire size as you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#20]
My vote is for BFG A/Ts.

I jus switched to Mickey Thompson Baja Radials. They are nice and really good in mud and sand, but very noisy on the road and Im jus waiting to see how long they last.

Once these are used up, im going back to BFG A/Ts

ALso keep in mind availability. Some specialty tires have to be ordered in most cases. Most places keep BFGs in most common sizes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]
my vote is for the bfg long trail, have ran them on 2 different suburbans. They wear good are not overly aggressive  and have replaced the CRAP generals on my 2006 gmc with bfg rugged trails
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My personal favorite tire for my 4x4 has been the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, quiet road ride but really digs in for off road, haven't got stuck once while hunting, also has proved damn good in the snow. YMMV.

The Revo, the best AT tire on the market according to many of the 4x4 forums. Going on my Jeep Liberty in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Revo, the best AT tire on the market according to many of the 4x4 forums. Going on my Jeep Liberty in a few weeks.

I have new Bridgestone Revo's on my 4wd Titan.  They are awesome tires, much better in the rain than BFG AT's.  Offroad they seem about the same, although the BFG has more ply's.  However, your gas mileage will be better with the Bridgestone's as they are a good bit lighter.   tirerack.com had the best prices I could find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top