Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 9:20:22 PM EDT
Saw it mentioned in another thread and thought it worth its own thread.  Anyone getting Arbidol?  Any docs, nurses on here know anything about it.  It is ALOT cheaper than Tamiflu...  Does it work as well??
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump for an answer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
RN here. I just don't trust the Russian OTC meds. Much like chinese you just don't know whats in it or what the long term side-effects are. It sounds a little "to" good to be true. Kind of like old time patent medicine- "Dr. Feelgoods all purpose medicine, cures headaches, vapors, lumbago, rhumitism, and shingles. Also shines shoes and cures hangovers." Ken on Satori
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's some info from a Goggle search: YMMV

www.pharmacy1010.com/product_page.asp?id=1001

Detail info about the product:

Package: 10 capsules (1 capsule = 100mg) $13.95

Russian scientific reserach reports indicate it works against bird flu (avian influenza, H5N1).

Arbidol has been in use in Russia for several years for the treatment of influenza. The compound exerts its effect by activation upon phagocytic activity of the macrophages, and also stimulates some forms of cellular and humoral immunity. Arbidol inhibits viruses of influenza type A and type B and has the capacity to induce serum interferon. Metabolic and pharmacokinetic studies in animals have shown that orally administered arbidol is rapidly absorbed and distributed quickly into tissues and organs.Russian scientific reserach reports indicate it works against bird flu (avian influenza, H5N1).

The compound arbidol was created by the Center for Drug Chemistry in Moscow more than 20 years ago and is licensed for use as prophylaxis and treatment for influenza A and B infections in Russia. Arbidol has recently been shown to inhibit various human respiratory RNA viruses, including several strains of influenza A and B, RSV, parainfluenza type 3 (PIV3) and rhinovirus 14, as well as the avian coronavirus, infectious bronchitis virus, and Marek disease virus, an avian oncogenic herpesvirus. Its antiviral activity, expressed as 50% inhibitory concentrations in cell culture, for influenza A and B, RSV, PIV3, rhinovirus 14, poliovirus, IBV, and MDV, was 0.22 to 11.8 µg mL-1 [88]. These findings confirm earlier clinical data from Russian workers that arbidol could be considered for use as a broad-spectrum antiviral.

They have other antivirals, interestingly called "viricides"

Tamiflu and Rimantidine are listed. The Rimantidine is CHEAP and is a better choice [less side effects] than an earlier and similar anti-viral,  Amantidine.

www.pharmacy1010.com/category_list.asp?id=24

Here's a link to their antibiotic page:

www.pharmacy1010.com/category_list.asp?id=4
[Augmentine [not an anti-viral, but a good choice for an anti-biotic] is expensive here as well. I have no idea why that drug costs so much.]

Sorry I got carried away here, I heard it was a neat site.

Now for some fun and to rile the EMT experts' "Turf-Ego", here's "Bactrim Syrup"  for $18.95. "It will be added to an intravenous fluid that will drip through a needle or catheter placed in your vein for 60–90 or more minutes, two to four times a day.
 The combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim eliminates bacteria that cause many kinds of infections, including pneumonia and urinary tract and intestinal infections."
www.pharmacy1010.com/product_page.asp?id=685
HAHAHA, let'er rip!

EDIT, just noticed that when you click on "more" info for a product it usually shows where the drug is manufactured. Places like Switzerland, United Kingdom, US, Russia [oh! the horrors], etc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Windjammer, what do you think of elderberry tincture?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Windjammer, what do you think of elderberry tincture?

Has anyone ever heard of an H5N1 infected person actually being treated w/it? Maybe they all recovered so fast that it wasn't news.

Actually elderberry tincure has a lot of proponents, and I took some when I had the flu a year or so ago. Did it help, I have no idea.

You can buy it at most health food stores. I wouldn't trust my life to it by any means.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top