Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 7:27:57 AM EDT
Picked up a pair of BATES Desert Combat boots when they had that incredible sale a while back (I should've picked up 3 more pair at the price).  Anyway, I wear them a lot, very comfortable, however, they need cleaning.  What is the best method to clean these kind of rough side out boots?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Nikwax has a cleaning product (and an awesome aqueous wax waterproofing product) that I use on almost every piece of footwear I have.  I haven't used it on desert boots but it works on nubuck and suede.  I think you should check it out and see if it sounds like it would work.

linkeroo
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to wire-brush mine to get the dried mud out of them. Kiwi or someone makes a suede cleaning kit, and it's even on the packing list for some of the NCOES schools, but I know almost no combat arms guy who bothers. Brush the mud off and keep going.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#3]
you can brush them with a stiff plastic bristle brush like you would scrub a car tire with.

clean them with warm soapy water but beware of dawn as it will remove the oil in the boot.

i am not a big fan of saddle soap for any leather product.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
brush it off keep going. its what ive done on mine,, they are a lil dingy but not to bad..
mostly water stains on the bottom 1/2's..( mine are the bellville 790's)....

just dont let anyone know i  own  anything khaki...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:13:14 AM EDT
[#5]
They make cleaning kits that are just so-so.  Essentially, the kit consists of a big eraser and a plastic brush.  It doesn't work to bad, and keeps the original look of the boot.  I haven't found a way to keep them from darkening eventually.   I haven't used a wet solvent on them yet.  I probably will when I switch to winter boots, since I'll be getting a new pair of summer for the spring.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to wire-brush mine to get the dried mud out of them. Kiwi or someone makes a suede cleaning kit, and it's even on the packing list for some of the NCOES schools, but I know almost no combat arms guy who bothers. Brush the mud off and keep going.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
boy I'm glad I'm not the only one who jumped on that.  i bought 5 pairs of those things.  I think I'm set for boots for LIFE
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never cleaned mine. I just let the mud/dirt cake and fall off. During the deployment it was easy because they were getting wet almost every mission working on the boat. I'm also guilty of having several pairs so I don't worry too much about keeping them too clean.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Garden hose and spray nozzle.

I they let them dry before I wear them again.

They are three years old and comfortable as every.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top