Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2022 9:19:32 AM EDT
I never cease to be amazed at the lack of basic sharpening skills.  Knives, lawn mower blades, chainsaw chains, you name it.  Chain gets dull, take it off.  Mower blades, chuck 'em.  

I understand some of it, but buying a set of knives because they have guaranteed lifetime sharpening, just pay freight both ways.....

I'm not talking about trying to sharpen barbers scissors, or 158" bandsaw blade, but no one seems interested in trying.

I am no guru by any means, and most of you here, I am sure, are better than me.  But a few minutes of patience with a good file, or whet stone, and you can at least be back to work.

Just an observation.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#1]
A good supply and variety of files are one of the things I try to mention to folks to put up. They are easily overlooked and absolutely vital if you are depending on tools for farming and etc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  Within the last two years I’ve learned to sharpen axes and crosscut saws.  I’m still learning.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good supply and variety of files are one of the things I try to mention to folks to put up. They are easily overlooked and absolutely vital if you are depending on tools for farming and etc.
View Quote

Very wise advice!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I did a thread a few months back explaining how to get a knife sharp reliably. It wasn't popular.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve had a Spyderco Sharpmaker for years but it’s not too good for a lawn mower or machete so I just bought a Worksharp MK2 which works great and one their manual precision sharpeners for when the power is out. As posted above I think so good files are a great idea too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:05:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I really want a Wicked Edge sharpening system. Very pricey though. Currently use a Lansky system and it’s good but the Wicked Edge is fantastic.

I can hand sharpen just fine but like the consistency of the various sharpening systems out there.

I remember reading a thread on this site where a poster mentioned he bought a new mower blade and threw the old one away whenever it got dull. I don’t care what anyone does with their money but I just don’t understand that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
For hatchets, axes, chisels, lawnmower blades, etc., a benchtop belt grinder can't be beat.

Ive got a drawer full of files that I use almost daily, but I can't think of the last time I used one to sharpen something.  Ain't nobody got time for that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did a thread a few months back explaining how to get a knife sharp reliably. It wasn't popular.  
View Quote

@batmanacw I’m a big fan of you/your post (no homo) but missed that one.  Could you share a link?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For hatchets, axes, chisels, lawnmower blades, etc., a benchtop belt grinder can't be beat.

Ive got a drawer full of files that I use almost daily, but I can't think of the last time I used one to sharpen something.  Ain't nobody got time for that.
View Quote

I neighbor gave me his 1 inch harbor freight belt grinder.  After looking at it I had an epiphany of how similar it looks to a Worksharp.  It’s been working awesome for getting edges roughed out to the point I can get them scary sharp with a stone.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Very sad. I think I was 8 when I got my first pocket knife. My Grandfather made sure I could put an edge on it with an Arkansas stone "dull knives are dangerous" was his mantra. A year or two later I was taught how to chuck an ax into a vise and sharpen it with a file. When I eventually broke my ax handle, it was time for a lesson in  how to rough out a hunk of ash on the table saw and use a drawshave to make a replacement (after burying the head blade down in a fire to burn out the stub). Crazy people can't be bothered to learn skills any longer.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I neighbor gave me his 1 inch harbor freight belt grinder.  After looking at it I had an epiphany of how similar it looks to a Worksharp.  It’s been working awesome for getting edges roughed out to the point I can get them scary sharp with a stone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some ceramic belts, if you haven't already.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get some ceramic belts, if you haven't already.
View Quote

Not yet.  Literally took possession a week ago.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:18:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@batmanacw I’m a big fan of you/your post (no homo) but missed that one.  Could you share a link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes please!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I try

I keep the kitchen knives sharp and have a couple Wusthoff knives. Last year I bought some cheap dollar store knives to practice on, and was able to put a nice edge on them.

Drill bits and lawnmower blades are something I have mastered but haven't tried the chainsaw.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s similar but runs a lot faster. Be careful not to burn the blade and ruin the temper.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I followed Rex Kreuger's advice and got a Norton Stone, an Arkansas stone, and a leather strop and made a little sharpening board.  I learned how to get my 25 year old Craftsman chisels to shaving sharp, and am amazed how much more useful they are.  I then went and sharpened my grandpa's old block planes, which I've owned for a while, but never used because they were dull.  Well now they work great!  The skill is being learned by those who want to learn.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes please!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes please!

It must have went it the archives. If you search my name many threads should come up but I'm not a paying member right now. The search sucks to use.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It must have went it the archives. If you search my name many threads should come up but I'm not a paying member right now. The search sucks to use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

also interested in a link. google search shows up a number of posts from various forums but i didnt find one on sharpening from here.

Quoted:
I really want a Wicked Edge sharpening system. Very pricey though. Currently use a Lansky system and it’s good but the Wicked Edge is fantastic.

I can hand sharpen just fine but like the consistency of the various sharpening systems out there.

I remember reading a thread on this site where a poster mentioned he bought a new mower blade and threw the old one away whenever it got dull. I don’t care what anyone does with their money but I just don’t understand that.

wicked edge is pricey for what you get, but it is hands down the best system ive ever used and ive tried pretty much all of them. for practical use on folders and fixed blades up the 8 inch range i still use a sharpmaker more than anything else. sharpening a beat up axe without something motorized is quite the chore.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

also interested in a link. google search shows up a number of posts from various forums but i didnt find one on sharpening from here.

wicked edge is pricey for what you get, but it is hands down the best system ive ever used and ive tried pretty much all of them. for practical use on folders and fixed blades up the 8 inch range i still use a sharpmaker more than anything else. sharpening a beat up axe without something motorized is quite the chore.
View Quote

Many years ago I sharpened a lawn mower blade with a file. I did it…..and will never do that again. I use a bench grinder and if I need to really clean up an edge, I use a handheld rat tail type of grinder and finish it on the bench grinder.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not yet.  Literally roof possession a week ago.
View Quote

Its a great lil sander, just understand its limitations.
Been using one for misc stuff for 3 yrs.

Got several sanders and go to that one most often.
Study it and modify it to make it more versatile.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Many years ago I sharpened a lawn mower blade with a file. I did it…..and will never do that again. I use a bench grinder and if I need to really clean up an edge, I use a handheld rat tail type of grinder and finish it on the bench grinder.
View Quote

Sanding disc on angle grinder is awesome for mower blades.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I keep a spare bit on hand in these and commonly used drill bits.
Never been able to master either of those by hand.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I think the move to super hard to sharpen Super Steels is partly to blame. The learning curve is a killer.

I loaned a Hinderer XM-24 Bowie folder to a soon to be Eagle Scout who decided the sharpen it for me before returning it. What I got back required all sorts of blade reshaping and geometry correction. He spent “hours” sharpening it, bless his heart.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think the move to super hard to sharpen Super Steels is partly to blame. The learning curve is a killer.

I loaned a Hinderer XM-24 Bowie folder to a soon to be Eagle Scout who decided the sharpen it for me before returning it. What I got back required all sorts of blade reshaping and geometry correction. He spent “hours” sharpening it, bless his heart.
View Quote

I find it much easier to sharpen a super hard blade than a softer one.  You just need the right tools to sharpen it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link?

I like to think I've gotten pretty good at sharpening knives but always read other's techniques.

I try to teach my Scouts, but they aren't too into it.  I hope they take away the ideas and will put them to use someday.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I need to learn how to get a chainsaw blade sharp and get a mirror finish on my pocket knives. I can get them sharp but not insane like many here.

wife put a custom damascus chef knife in the dishwasher a few times so i got good at working an edge on a thin blade but damn it's ugly now
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Cutting & splitting wood is the norm up here. So, sharpening comes w/ the territory...
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#28]
ask your husbands to do it.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cutting & splitting wood is the norm up here. So, sharpening comes w/ the territory...
View Quote

This.

I can sharpen just about anything I use on a regular basis with basic hand tools.  Chainsaw chains, Axes, Knives, Lawn mower blades, etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I need to learn how to get a chainsaw blade sharp
View Quote

the Pferd saw chain sharpener is very, very good.  
it's popular for a reason -- it's simple and it works.
it's good enough that Stihl resells it under their own name.

https://www.pferd.com/us-en/products/files/sharpening-files/chain-sharp/chain-sharp-cs-x-chain-saw-sharpeners/

note, it comes in several types, due to varying pitch chains (e.g. 0.325, 3/8, .440) and profiles (3/8 standard and low)

for example, this model is for 3/8" pitch chain with std profile
https://www.amazon.com/Pferd-Chain-Sharp-Filing-Guide/dp/B003M4JLE2
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sanding disc on angle grinder is awesome for mower blades.
View Quote

^^^ this!

use a 60 or 80 grit "flap disc", results are very nice and it's quick/simple to keep the blades sharp.
don't forget to keep the blade in balance as well.

if you find that after three or four years you are a bit "off angle" because of the handheld grinder, just take the blade set to a OPE shop and for $20 you'll be back at the start point.
but it's not that critical, nor is it that difficult, to keep exactly on angle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not really great at it, I have a few Japanese stones for knives as well as some cheap diamond plates. For yard stuff it has been files and axe pucks for me, although I have plenty of angle grinders so I should try that one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I also have one of these that I put a new frame on a few years ago.  To the best of my knowledge, it was handed down through my family for several generations.  One of my grandpas' relatives gave it to me because they know I care for and treasure stuff like this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

the Pferd saw chain sharpener is very, very good.  
it's popular for a reason -- it's simple and it works.
it's good enough that Stihl resells it under their own name.

https://www.pferd.com/us-en/products/files/sharpening-files/chain-sharp/chain-sharp-cs-x-chain-saw-sharpeners/

note, it comes in several types, due to varying pitch chains (e.g. 0.325, 3/8, .440) and profiles (3/8 standard and low)

for example, this model is for 3/8" pitch chain with std profile
https://www.amazon.com/Pferd-Chain-Sharp-Filing-Guide/dp/B003M4JLE2
View Quote

thanks, but I don't even know what kind of blade I have. It's a basic ryobi battery saw. I just use it to cut up firewood in the back yard but did a half cord and it's slowing down some
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not really great at it, I have a few Japanese stones for knives as well as some cheap diamond plates. For yard stuff it has been files and axe pucks for me, although I have plenty of angle grinders so I should try that one of these days.
View Quote

I use an angle grinder on my old mower blades.  I stick with a basic file and pucks for axes.

I have found that getting a kinfe razor sharp more depends on the blade style, steel quality, and grind than it does the type of stone or type of sharpening device.  

I can get a good quality blade razor sharp with any type of stone and leather strop + some compound.

I can make almost any Mora shaving sharp, I cannot make a cheap no name folder very sharp.  

I use a basic pull through carbide thing for the cheap shit that will never be good followed by a minute or two on a chef style steel rod.  Stropping cheap steel is a waste of time and i have never got a good edge by doing so.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm surprised when people I work with don't want to use their own knife because they can't figure out how to resharpen it.  I've gotten a few to at least be capable of using a Lansky style v-rod turn box sharpener.  I often use that type of sharpener as it sharpens without as much metal removal as some other "quick" sharpeners but gets the job done without as much effort as a regular stone.

I also use a strop between sharpenings to keep my knife (for the past year mostly a Buck 722 Spitfire) sharp enough to pull neck hairs.  Amazon has a nice range of them under the "Hutsuls" brand, which are made in Ukraine.

Attachment Attached File

https://smile.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Turn-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B000B8FW0E
Attachment Attached File

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08T8XLHWM
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

thanks, but I don't even know what kind of blade I have. It's a basic ryobi battery saw. I just use it to cut up firewood in the back yard but did a half cord and it's slowing down some
View Quote

It's a chain and the angle definitely matters.
I have taken some advice from the saw guys on here and am a freehand wicked sharpener on saw chains.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I never cease to be amazed at the lack of basic sharpening skills.  Knives, lawn mower blades, chainsaw chains, you name it.  Chain gets dull, take it off.  Mower blades, chuck 'em.  

I understand some of it, but buying a set of knives because they have guaranteed lifetime sharpening, just pay freight both ways.....

I'm not talking about trying to sharpen barbers scissors, or 158" bandsaw blade, but no one seems interested in trying.

I am no guru by any means, and most of you here, I am sure, are better than me.  But a few minutes of patience with a good file, or whet stone, and you can at least be back to work.

Just an observation.

Doc
View Quote

It has nothing to do with lack of ability.....it has to do with lack of caring.  Most people will carry around a dull knife, and not even have the slightest interest in keeping it sharp.  I've had people tell me "I like my knifes dull, it keeps me from cutting myself"

When it comes to things like mower blades...that's just plain laziness.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Dull chainsaw blades are dangerous. I no longer own a big gas saw, just small electric ones.  BUT I still own a chain sharpener.  If I borrow a bigger saw from a buddy, it almost always has a dull blade, but it get returned with a nice sharp one.

Benchtop grinder and hand files take care of the axes, shovels, hatchets, etc.

Lansky diamond keeps all my knives sharp.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I use files and a stone but for mower blades I just replace them. $30 bucks is cheaper than my time in that case.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Most people can’t sharpen stuff or bother to learn because they’re stupid and have short attention spans.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Most people can’t sharpen stuff or bother to learn because they’re stupid and have short attention spans.
View Quote

I'm neither, but a whetstone and I can dull a knife faster than David Baker with a stack of cow skulls.  It's just a skill that eludes me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

In this thread, some think chain saws have blades.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And some people think you sharpen the chain.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I also have one of these that I put a new frame on a few years ago.  To the best of my knowledge, it was handed down through my family for several generations.  One of my grandpas' relatives gave it to me because they know I care for and treasure stuff like this.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/140266/IMG_20171112_154959_jpg-2346662.JPG
View Quote

Coolest post of the thread!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And some people think you sharpen the chain.  
View Quote

I like muy skip teeth
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I am often surprised at how many people don't know basic things about using a file...things like using a file card to keep the teeth clean, or only putting downward pressure on the forward (cutting) stroke of the file so they don't break the teeth..   Then after the teeth are clogged, and/or broken they gripe about how their file wore out so much sooner than they thought it should.  

Much of the same ignorance applies to use of sharpening stones...  People allow them to get all clogged up with junk, and don't know how to clean them out so they will cut again.  I have purchased plenty of good sharpening stones at garage or estate sales that were just clogged up.  I buy them, take them home, and get them cleaned up and they work just fine.

About 3 years ago, I found a beautiful hard Arkansas stone that was slick as glass because it was all clogged up.  Once cleaned up, I had a terrific hard Arkansas stone that was about 1.25" thick, 3" wide, 10" long..it cost $3.00 because it looked like crap.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Spyderco Sharpmaker works for me.   I don’t let my knives get too dull before sharpening and that seems to help.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#50]
For me, the missing link to getting things sharp enough was this:
Attachment Attached File

I thought going all the way on up to 8000grit was a "knife-nerd" thing. No. Wrong. It was a fantastic move that got a lot of my nicer blades back to "Factory scary sharp".
I'm a total believer on working your way up into the 1000s of grits.

If your edges look good, the profile looks good, but "Something is missing", this might be it.
A fine enough stone/diamond stone to really get the most out of the edge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top