Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2022 9:20:06 PM EDT
Recently moved to the mountains and want to buy a raft.  Primarily for fishing(3 ppl) but for some camping excursions(4 ppl) and moderate white water(6-8 ppl) too.  Looking at a Hypalon/Pennel Orca vs PVC, 14 foot with a frame.

Any experience or suggestions?

What is the rafting equivalent of AR15.com?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 14' NRS Expedition self baler. Hypo.
I rowed a PVC boat in the Grand Canyon once. It worked well.

I have it set up to row with an NRS frame and can support 4 people for 6 days running white water. I ran the Green river in UT 3 weeks ago. In that mode, I pull out the thwarts to maxiximise gear space.
I also set up with the thwarts in for running day trips as a paddle raft.

Mountain Buzz will have good info for you.

Buy a used boat 1st. You'll save lots of $ and know what you really like.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/22/2022 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paddler112:
I have a 14' NRS Expedition self baler. Hypo.
I rowed a PVC boat in the Grand Canyon once. It worked well.

I have it set up to row with an NRS frame and can support 4 people for 6 days running white water. I ran the Green river in UT 3 weeks ago. In that mode, I pull out the thwarts to maxiximise gear space.
I also set up with the thwarts in for running day trips as a paddle raft.

Mountain Buzz will have good info for you.

Buy a used boat 1st. You'll save lots of $ and know what you really like.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139483/RIMG1245_JPG-2459647.JPG

View Quote

Thanks for the tips.  Your boat is one that I am leaning toward. Do you have floors in it?

I am looking at used rafts but I also have access to pro deals with NRS and Hyside.  I am not in a hurry which works to my advantage especially since all manufacturers are back ordered.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My boat has an inflatable floor. That allows the water to drain out. I've used rafts with a regular wrap floor that don't drain. If you don't do much white water, then a wrap floor will work. Otherwise, you'll have to bail it out when water gets in. For fishing, on class I-II water that's not much of a problem.

I added extra D-rings for more tie down points. I also have dry box and a drop bag under the front seat which is actually a table. I use a cooler as a seat. The frame is maxed for the boat length.
My oars are Cataract shafts and blades. Carlisle oars work well but are much heavier. I run them on Pins and Clips but the traditional set up is oar locks. Some people will also use oar rights on them.

Here's another view of my rig set up when I ran the Middle Fork of the Salmon in ID. Note the "rocket boxes" just forward of the oar towers. They're milsurp 20mm ammo cans. They're water tight and super versatile for storage.
Attachment Attached File

Here's a couple other boats. This gives you an idea of how people rig them out. These are set up for running multiday whitewater trips. The front seat is bolted to a homemade table/hatch cover. It's just a cheap boat seat. It would work well for fishing.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/25/2022 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
My boat has an inflatable floor. That allows the water to drain out. I've used rafts with a regular wrap floor that don't drain. If you don't do much white water, then a wrap floor will work. Otherwise, you'll have to bail it out when water gets in. For fishing, on class I-II water that's not much of a problem.

I added extra D-rings for more tie down points. I also have dry box and a drop bag under the front seat which is actually a table. I use a cooler as a seat. The frame is maxed for the boat length.
My oars are Cataract shafts and blades. Carlisle oars work well but are much heavier. I run them on Pins and Clips but the traditional set up is oar locks. Some people will also use oar rights on them.

Here's another view of my rig set up when I ran the Middle Fork of the Salmon in ID. Note the "rocket boxes" just forward of the oar towers. They're milsurp 20mm ammo cans. They're water tight and super versatile for storage.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139483/MFSalmon_2012_024_jpg-2462705.JPG

Here's a couple other boats. This gives you an idea of how people rig them out. These are set up for running multiday whitewater trips. The front seat is bolted to a homemade table/hatch cover. It's just a cheap boat seat. It would work well for fishing.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139483/MFSalmon_2012k_056_jpg-2462706.JPG
View Quote

That's great info and thanks for the pics.  When I said floor, I actually meant hard floor, like for casting platforms or also in the captain's bay. I definitely want a self bailer but will likely add floors for fishing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only ever run one in the 18' I've rented for the Grand Canyon.
I've been thinking of building one for the captains cockpit so I can carry a couple of rocket boxes or water cans in it. The rear cargo area has a sling in it to keep weight off the floor. In fact, everything is suspended from the frame.
My front passengers just stand on the inflatable floor.
For casting, you can stand on the captains seat and drop hatch in the front. I do that when I'm boat scouting a rapid.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I've only ever run one in the 18' I've rented for the Grand Canyon.
I've been thinking of building one for the captains cockpit so I can carry a couple of rocket boxes or water cans in it. The rear cargo area has a sling in it to keep weight off the floor. In fact, everything is suspended from the frame.
My front passengers just stand on the inflatable floor.
For casting, you can stand on the captains seat and drop hatch in the front. I do that when I'm boat scouting a rapid.
View Quote

I can see standing on a drop stitch floor but casting on an ibeam is just not realistic.  And trying to balance on a chair, hatch, cooler, dry box or whatever, is fine for a little fishing on smooth water, but again not realistic for any serious angling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top