Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Kayaks (Page 1 of 7)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/16/2015 4:17:33 PM EDT
anuone on here into Kayaks? I've been thinking about getting a sit on top Perception Angler or a FutIre beach angler to paddle around in the lake and backwater creeks and a few tamer rivers. I would fish and explore and camp and maybe even hunt waterfowl.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

Make sure you try before you buy. Kayak fishing is fun, but some are better than others. I have a Hobie. It is lots of fun but slow.
View Quote
Do you use a trailer? I've read they can be a pain to lift/carry by yourself.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BeardedDude:

Do you use a trailer? I've read they can be a pain to lift/carry by yourself.
View Quote
I started out just throwing it in the back of the truck when it was bare.

Once I added depth finder, trolling motor and battery, bunch of rod holders, etc.  I bought a used jet ski trailer off craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Pereception pescador pilot 12.0 pedal drive. I am fishing on the Susquehanna River. I also have a Wilderness systems trident angler in camo that is now my hunting kayak and creek kayak.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By te3866:
Pereception pescador pilot 12.0 pedal drive. I am fishing on the Susquehanna River. I also have a Wilderness systems trident angler in camo that is now my hunting kayak and creek kayak.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/1blitzer/kayak_zpszjmmj1ge.jpg
View Quote
Nice! How long have you had the Pilot? Any issues with the drive?  What part of the Suskie? I need to get back out on her for some smallmouth action
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#5]
New Wilderness Systems 12' sit on top for me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ArmedPete:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/188065/IMG-5635-262944.JPG
View Quote
Awesome man. I've always liked that color from Wildy. Have fun in your new kayak.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Planenutok:
Awesome man. I've always liked that color from Wildy. Have fun in your new kayak.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks, wife and I are going to take it out this weekend and if she likes it buy another.
If not we will buy her a sit in one like we rented last time we went out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, wife and I are going to take it out this weekend and if she likes it buy another.
View All Quotes

We tried a few different kayaks, my wife really didn't care much about kayaking. Then I saw this video.  We ended up getting her a Tupelo, it's agot a very comfy seat, super easy to paddle, and by far the fastest of our little plastic Navy.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/oMhBqsFwTb8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 1:55:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Vibe Sea Ghost 130. Very happy with the boat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought a Dagger Zydeco 9 a couple of weeks ago. Pool session this evening
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 308hotbrass:
I have a Vibe Sea Ghost 130. Very happy with the boat.
View Quote
You're not one of the crazy ones in the Vibe Tribe, are you?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1ipschoser] [#12]
I bought two Eagle Run sit-ins from Field and Stream (on sale, $399/ea). They have been awesome. We've fished, hunted and camped out of them. Dick's Sporting Goods sells the same boat. Recently built a nice cargo deck for the front of my boat. Really adds to the utility (need to get some pics).

Eagle Run

Link Posted: 1/17/2018 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1ipschoser:
I bought two Eagle Run sit-ins from Field and Stream (on sale, $399/ea). They have been awesome. We've fished, hunted and camped out of them. Dick's Sporting Goods sells the same boat. Recently built a nice cargo deck for the front of my boat. Really adds to the utility (need to get some pics).

Eagle Run

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/50D-High-ISO-Tests/n-vGtS3/i-Pmcxvzp/0/c9c7567a/X4/i-Pmcxvzp-X4.jpg
View Quote
That's a pretty decent price. In May they'll also go on sale during the boating sale. Prices should be similar. The Eagle series (Run and Talon, Sit-in and Sit-on) isn't the greatest but it will get you on the water. It's a decent hull design that's pretty capable. Field and Stream is just the Dick's in-house brand (Dick's owns Field & Stream, Golf Galaxy, and Runner's World). Best of luck with the boats! Like I said, they're good platforms to do some decent things with!
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rosejackets67] [#14]
Hobie Outback (2016) owner here. Love it. I am actually dreading the idea of going back to a boat once the kids are old enough to come out with me.

Not having to deal with toting a trailer and a bunch of gear actually makes the whole experience so much more relaxing for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:
I just picked up an Old Town Predator MX, fish & ducks are in real trouble....heavier sit on, so far so good, very relaxing.  camo
View Quote
+1, I like mine....Heavy, but useful
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By mercinarysniper:
That's a pretty decent price. In May they'll also go on sale during the boating sale. Prices should be similar. The Eagle series (Run and Talon, Sit-in and Sit-on) isn't the greatest but it will get you on the water. It's a decent hull design that's pretty capable. Field and Stream is just the Dick's in-house brand (Dick's owns Field & Stream, Golf Galaxy, and Runner's World). Best of luck with the boats! Like I said, they're good platforms to do some decent things with!
View Quote
Yup, nice boats for the money. Here's a couple pics of the cargo deck. It is easily removeable when I want to go minimalist and makes hunting/camping trips much easier. BTW, the camo boat is awesome because you can slip into an area quietly and beach the boat in the brush while you hunt.

Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I am getting really into Kayak fishing, my recommendation if you are on facebook than there are a bunch of kayak fishing groups with tons of info.
Try these groups
https://www.facebook.com/groups/989547974420094/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KayakBassFishing/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/601828369866529/
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:42:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#18]
I just picked up an Ascend 12T on Craigslist. It is like new, and appears to be well enough constructed. The seat is very comfortable. Fishing report tomorrow.

UPDATE:
I got out to the lake for a bit this evening. No bites, but paddled around a bit. This kayak is very stable, I was able to stand without even thinking about it. That said, I weigh 155.

The boat is relatively easy to paddle, at least compared to larger boats I've paddled. It turns relatively quickly. It is also pretty easy to handle in/out of the pickup. I am able to carry the whole thing, although there are no handles "midship", which would make that a lot easier.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 3:28:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#19]
Yup.....Pretty much all I do in the summer is float, fish for smallies and cats on the river, camp, and drink beers.  All the floating I do is mostly downriver, so my boats are set up accordingly.

Oldtown Disco 119 with a custom seat, rod holders, and anchor system.  It's like riding in a Cadillac floating down the river.  Solo canoes FTW!

And I have a Perception Sound 10.5 for when I want something lighter and easier to throw around.  Sometimes we have up to 10 kayaks in the truck, and it's a pain to have the solo canoe in that case.  I love the Sound.  Has a SOT type back end so that I can keep a big hard cooler and my dry bucket.  It's a lot more convenient than a typical kayak that only has dry hatches.

Pro tip:  Perception is mostly old model Wilderness Systems boats.  You get awesome boats for cheap with Perception.  They're owned by the same company that owns Dagger, WS, and a few others.  The plastic is great, designs are excellent.  Best boats I've seen for people that aren't spending $1k and up.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Looking at buying a catch 100 when the weather breaks

Hoping it goes on sale memorial weekend

Catch 100
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Took my Dagger Zydeco 9 out on Saturday for its maiden voyage.  Loved it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:13:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#22]
Friends don't let friends buy Pelican kayaks.  They're junk.  Made to relieve noobs of their hard earned money.

The plastic they use is JUNK.  Extremely brittle.  It's pretty abrasion resistant, and they market the heck out of that.  You'll likely never WEAR through the bottom of one of those.....but you'll crack it or punch a hole in it.  It's absolute GARBAGE plastic.  A lot of times, I take people out floating, and they get excited and go buy a boat without asking anyone about what boats are good.  They normally end up with Pelicans since they're cheap.....and they break quickly.

And to add some more salt to the wound.....you can't fix them once they break.  Most kayaks are polypropylene, and you can "weld" them to fix a leak.  That's where you essentially melt some more plastic on it to fix it.  You can't do that with a Pelican.

Buy something else.  May I suggest one of these.  The Westmarine Pompano and Perception Pescador are the old version of the Wilderness Systems Tarpon.  Made by the same company that makes WS and Dagger, and made on the old WS Tarpon mold.  They are an extremely good bang for your buck and are MUCH better kayaks than anything Pelican makes.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--pompano-120-sit-on-top-kayak--18614461?recordNum=12
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/24959/Perception-Pescador-120-Kayak-2018.html
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/19287/Perception-Pescador-Pro-120-Kayak.html

(The difference in these models is the outfitting.  The hulls are the same.)

Originally Posted By Gotyour06:

Catch 100
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DodgeDakota:
Friends don't let friends buy Pelican kayaks.  They're junk.  Made to relieve noobs of their hard earned money.

The plastic they use is JUNK.  Extremely brittle.  It's pretty abrasion resistant, and they market the heck out of that.  You'll likely never WEAR through the bottom of one of those.....but you'll crack it or punch a hole in it.  It's absolute GARBAGE plastic.  A lot of times, I take people out floating, and they get excited and go buy a boat without asking anyone about what boats are good.  They normally end up with Pelicans since they're cheap.....and they break quickly.

And to add some more salt to the wound.....you can't fix them once they break.  Most kayaks are polypropylene, and you can "weld" them to fix a leak.  That's where you essentially melt some more plastic on it to fix it.  You can't do that with a Pelican.

Buy something else.  May I suggest one of these.  The Westmarine Pompano and Perception Pescador are the old version of the Wilderness Systems Tarpon.  Made by the same company that makes WS and Dagger, and made on the old WS Tarpon mold.  They are an extremely good bang for your buck and are MUCH better kayaks than anything Pelican makes.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--pompano-120-sit-on-top-kayak--18614461?recordNum=12
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/24959/Perception-Pescador-120-Kayak-2018.html
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/19287/Perception-Pescador-Pro-120-Kayak.html

(The difference in these models is the outfitting.  The hulls are the same.)
View Quote
Ever seen the video put out by Pelican showing them driving a truck over one?

I've got a Pelican that I use for fishing and have no issues with it. For someone to paddle around on flat water, it's fine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 12:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#24]
Respectfully disagree.  Pelican kayaks are junk.  Sorry they got your money, and I get that you would want to justify your purchase, but they're junk.  Have first hand experience with them cracking.  Not just one.....  I've seen every single one that the people I float with break WAY before standard polyethylene boats would.  We use our boats until they break.  I float creeks and rivers every single weekend and so do my buddies.  When you float as much as we do, you figure out which boats last and which break pretty quick.  If you're just going to use your boat a couple times a year, buy whatever, it won't matter.

And to top it off.....You CANT FIX THEM like you can a polyethylene boat.  They can't be welded.  Once they get a small crack or puncture (which they are more prone to doing than a polyethylene boat) you throw them in the trash.

Like I said, their boats are durable in certain situations.  They market the heck out of those situations.  But there are other situations that are encountered while actually floating in a kayak that break Pelican kayaks way before those situations would break a polyethylene boat.  A pokey rock or stick can and will crack Pelicans or punch a hole through them with relative ease.....in which case you're left with a hunk of garbage (again, you can't fix them).

They're bottom of the barrel junk.  Consult paddling forums.....they'll tell you the same thing.  There's other boats out there that are MUCH better for the same price (Perception and some West Marine models are my favorite and are WAY better than anything Pelican makes).

Originally Posted By VACaver:

I've got a Pelican that I use for fishing and have no issues with it. For someone to paddle around on flat water, it's fine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Respectfully disagree.  Pelican kayaks are junk.  Sorry they got your money, and I get that you would want to justify your purchase, but they're junk.  Have first hand experience with them cracking.  Not just one.....  I've seen every single one that the people I float with break WAY before standard polyethylene boats would.  We use our boats until they break.  I float creeks and rivers every single weekend and so do my buddies.  When you float as much as we do, you figure out which boats last and which break pretty quick.  If you're just going to use your boat a couple times a year, buy whatever, it won't matter.

And to top it off.....You CANT FIX THEM like you can a polyethylene boat.  They can't be welded.  Once they get a small crack or puncture (which they are more prone to doing than a polyethylene boat) you throw them in the trash.

Like I said, their boats are durable in certain situations.  They market the heck out of those situations.  But there are other situations that are encountered while actually floating in a kayak that break Pelican kayaks way before those situations would break a polyethylene boat.  A pokey rock or stick can and will crack Pelicans or punch a hole through them with relative ease.....in which case you're left with a hunk of garbage (again, you can't fix them).

They're bottom of the barrel junk.  Consult paddling forums.....they'll tell you the same thing.  There's other boats out there that are MUCH better for the same price (Perception and some West Marine models are my favorite and are WAY better than anything Pelican makes).
View Quote
Which models, specifically, are you referring to? As someone who sells Pelican kayaks, this is news to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

I'm not sorry they got my money at all.

Like I said, for tooling around on flat water, it's fine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Anything they make with that cheap, thin, RAM-X junk.....which to my knowledge is everything they make.

Which models, specifically, are you referring to? As someone who sells Pelican kayaks, this is news to me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Anything they make with that cheap, thin, RAM-X junk.....which to my knowledge is everything they make.
View Quote
I think you're lumping the Catch series into the same category as the big box store kayaks. The Catch is definitely leaps and bounds above what you're seeing at the $200 price tag of a Maverick or a Trailblazer. What kind of a sample size are you looking at? Also, you said you're floating these. Are you ta king on rapids, fishing, just leisure cruises? I'm asking because I've seen plenty of Pelicans, even the cheap, "bottom of the barrel" as you put it, kayaks last multiple years until people want to upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Catch 100
View Quote
@gotyour06 Have you sat in this kayak before? If at all possible, try it out before you buy. Demo as many boats as you can before making your decision
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#30]
@gotyour06 Have you sat in this kayak before? If at all possible, try it out before you buy. Demo as many boats as you can before making your decision
View Quote
@mercinarysniper

I sat in it but doubt I could ever find one to rent.
I need it big enough for my dog and myself and that would equal about 210 pounds.

I am a smaller guy at 5'7 and 150 pounds.
It is a bit heavy at 65 pounds and 9.5 feet long.

I have kayaked on Moose River and a few lakes using rentals. They all went smooth and they were some third world kayaks lol.
This one is about 650 and my budget is about 1200.00
I can only play around here in good weather about 4 months out of the year so dont want to get too crazy with it.
Plan on buying in the next couple weeks
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIG-DUKE-6] [#31]
Highly recommend the wilderness experience Tarpon 120 great boat for lakes ,white water rivers and ocean surf.
In my opinion they have the most comfortable seat on the market

Wilderness systems
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Probably 5-10 total.  All broke sooner than normal polyethylene boats.  The Perception, Wilderness Systems, etc... boats do last us longer.  All I have experience with is the lower end standard RamX hull Pelicans.  Nobody has bothered to buy a higher end RamX Premium hull due to our experiences with the standard RamX.

We float creeks and rivers.  No rapids above class 2.  None of us use whitewater kayaks.  Lots of limestone and river rock around here as well as logs and other wood beneath the surface.  We mostly float to fish, drink beer, etc...

What I've noticed is that we tend to eventually wear through the bottom of a Polyethylene boat or get a crack.  But a crack in a Polyethylene boat can be welded.  In comparison, the RamX Pelican boats seem like they do better against abrasion and wearing thin.  But they seem more brittle (especially when the water is cold) and tend to crack way easier.  And we haven't had any luck with repairing them.  Once they're cracked, they're trash.

Maybe the higher end RamX Premium stuff is better?????  I won't ever know due to not wanting to buy one of their premium boats when I can get a Perception Pescador or Wilderness Systems Tarpon for the same price or cheaper.

I think you're lumping the Catch series into the same category as the big box store kayaks. The Catch is definitely leaps and bounds above what you're seeing at the $200 price tag of a Maverick or a Trailblazer. What kind of a sample size are you looking at? Also, you said you're floating these. Are you ta king on rapids, fishing, just leisure cruises? I'm asking because I've seen plenty of Pelicans, even the cheap, "bottom of the barrel" as you put it, kayaks last multiple years until people want to upgrade.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Probably 5-10 total.  All broke sooner than normal polyethylene boats.  The Perception, Wilderness Systems, etc... boats do last us longer.  All I have experience with is the lower end standard RamX hull Pelicans.  Nobody has bothered to buy a higher end RamX Premium hull due to our experiences with the standard RamX.

We float creeks and rivers.  No rapids above class 2.  None of us use whitewater kayaks.  Lots of limestone and river rock around here as well as logs and other wood beneath the surface.  We mostly float to fish, drink beer, etc...

What I've noticed is that we tend to eventually wear through the bottom of a Polyethylene boat or get a crack.  But a crack in a Polyethylene boat can be welded.  In comparison, the RamX Pelican boats seem like they do better against abrasion and wearing thin.  But they seem more brittle (especially when the water is cold) and tend to crack way easier.  And we haven't had any luck with repairing them.  Once they're cracked, they're trash.

Maybe the higher end RamX Premium stuff is better?????  I won't ever know due to not wanting to buy one of their premium boats when I can get a Perception Pescador or Wilderness Systems Tarpon for the same price or cheaper.
View Quote
Yeah, it seems like you guys were using boats that weren't designed for what you're doing. That said, even for what you're doing I wouldn't use a $2500 Eddyline either as it wouldn't hold up!

@Gotyour06 what area of NY are you in? I know you're set on buying one but, let me ask, would you buy a vehicle without a test drive? Is your target water all flat/still?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 2:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#34]
Yeah, rotomolded Polyethylene kayaks that are manufactured in the same way whitewater boats are made hold up better than Pelican RamX for river and creek use.  And they're repairable.  They actually just hold up better and are more durable than Pelican RamX under conditions kayaks actually encounter.....period.

If you're treating your boat the same way I treat my Kevlar canoe and only using it in deep water, getting out of the boat in a foot of water and not beaching it, etc... pretty much anything will be fine because it's not encountering any wear or harsh conditions.  And those Pelican boats will hold up fine in those circumstances.

Those Pelican boats still aren't good boats though.  You can get better boats for the same price that will last longer, are made of a better material. and that are better designed.  Why would you buy an inferior boat when you can buy a better boat for the same price?????

Buy a rotomolded boat unless you're buying something higher end that's specialized and made of Royalex, T-Formex, Kevlar, or some other specialized material.  There is no reason to buy a Pelican unless you just don't know any better.  There is no benefit to purchasing a Pelican over a quality rotomolded boat.

Yeah, it seems like you guys were using boats that weren't designed for what you're doing. That said, even for what you're doing I wouldn't use a $2500 Eddyline either as it wouldn't hold up!

@Gotyour06 what area of NY are you in? I know you're set on buying one but, let me ask, would you buy a vehicle without a test drive? Is your target water all flat/still?
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gotyour06] [#35]

View All Quotes

@mercinarysniper

I am in Rochester area and don't ever plan to hit any fast moving water or go in cold water.
I am a fair weather friend.
I only play outside in the summer.
I would be running around smaller lakes like keuka lake, canandaigua, and smaller creeks and rivers. Moose river for example.
I want my dog with me and my GF is buying one as well.
Doubt it would be anything other than relaxing fishing, tie them together and have lunch on the water etc..
I figure this one is wide enough for me and the dog, little bit of supplies for the day and over all just get me in a few better fishing areas.

Moose river

canandaigua lake

Link Posted: 4/18/2018 8:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KingAirDriver] [#36]
@mercinarysniper

I am in Rochester area and don't ever plan to hit any fast moving water or go in cold water.
I am a fair weather friend.
I only play outside in the summer.
I would be running around smaller lakes like keuka lake, canandaigua, and smaller creeks and rivers. Moose river for example.
I want my dog with me and my GF is buying one as well.
Doubt it would be anything other than relaxing fishing, tie them together and have lunch on the water etc..
I figure this one is wide enough for me and the dog, little bit of supplies for the day and over all just get me in a few better fishing areas.

Moose river
http://www.thebatavian.com/sites/thebatavian.com/files/users/955/jimnigro/mooseriver%20mainIMG_1294.jpg

canandaigua lake

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/47/8f/38/478f388a2dfd5e382dda53a20eb279d7.jpg
View Quote
Just remember, longer kayaks would be better for larger bodies of water if you want to cover more ground quickly (if not, no biggie), but they don't turn as well.  Smaller kayaks would be great for the rivers due to their maneuverability, but will lack in speed on lakes.

I need to read back in the thread to see what you're looking at.  I just saw the pics/example of where you'll be going and wanted to throw my $.02 out before I forgot.  You'll have fun no matter what- it's a blast!

ETA: @Gotyour06  I just saw you're looking at the Catch 100 and read the debate on the Pelicans.  We bought a 3rd kayak for our small kids last year, and it's a Pelican Icon 100X Angler.  I don't see the Icon on their site, so it may be discontinued, but the hull and features look similar (the Catch has more "stuff").  We only bought theirs because it was cheap and small enough for them, and would let them learn to paddle alongside us.  Don't know what the Catch 100 runs, but I would honestly spend just a little more for something like the Perception Pescador 10.  The kids' Pelican feels "cheap" compared to my wife's Perception.  I think the Perception is only another $100-150 at Academy...it may be more, but I don't think it's much more.  I really like her Perception, and I would rather take hers out over my Trident 13 a lot of the time!  No matter what you get though, it's going to get you out on the water and you'll have a ton of fun with it!  That's the important thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#37]
@Gotyour06

Loon at what you're using the boat for and egg hat you want to haul, especially with that pup, I would look into the NuCanoe line. They'll probably give you the most customization and open deck to keep the dog and haul some gear with you. If you have other ideas, let us know. As you see, every one of us has an opinion on what boats people should have. Basically it all comes down to you and what you feel comfortable in and what you feel comfortable spending. As long as it gets you in the water and you enjoy it, that's all that matters! Oh, and get a comfortable PFD and always wear it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:47:21 AM EDT
[#38]
@Gotyour06

Loon at what you're using the boat for and egg hat you want to haul, especially with that pup, I would look into the NuCanoe line. They'll probably give you the most customization and open deck to keep the dog and haul some gear with you. If you have other ideas, let us know. As you see, every one of us has an opinion on what boats people should have. Basically it all comes down to you and what you feel comfortable in and what you feel comfortable spending. As long as it gets you in the water and you enjoy it, that's all that matters! Oh, and get a comfortable PFD and always wear it.
View Quote
@mercinarysniper
I am still looking at boats but just keep going back to that one.
PFD is a whole other story lol
Looked at ones that are thin but you have to pull a cord to inflate. Wont help much if i get knocked out.
Looking for one for my dog as well.
I plan on buying one in the next couple weeks so I am writing all this stuff down and taking a list with me this weekend to look at everything.
Great to have a place to come to and get other ideas.
I am a canoe guy and been using one for 40 years. I love the sit on top "Kayaks" they used to be just a torpedo looking thing. They have come a long ways.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 7:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#39]
Gotyour06:

Definitely take a few out for a test drive before purchasing.  Take them on the big lake and take them on the rivers/creek you plan on floating.  Those two disciplines for kayaking are significantly different.  If you get a boat that's too short and fat, it's going to feel like you're pushing a barge around in the lake.  If you get a boat that's too long, it's going to be difficult to maneuver in the rivers/creeks.

Honestly, I feel like a 12' Perception Pescador is going to be about your best bet if you want a budget priced SOT boat to do both the lake and river/creek.  That Pelican 10'er looks like it's going to feel like you're pushing a brick around in that lake.....especially loaded down with a dog.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:09:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Gotyour06:

Definitely take a few out for a test drive before purchasing.  Take them on the big lake and take them on the rivers/creek you plan on floating.  Those two disciplines for kayaking are significantly different.  If you get a boat that's too short and fat, it's going to feel like you're pushing a barge around in the lake.  If you get a boat that's too long, it's going to be difficult to maneuver in the rivers/creeks.

Honestly, I feel like a 12' Perception Pescador is going to be about your best bet if you want a budget priced SOT boat to do both the lake and river/creek.  That Pelican 10'er looks like it's going to feel like you're pushing a brick around in that lake.....especially loaded down with a dog.
View Quote
Hard to test drive a kayak around here.
They have the cheaper rentals.

Field and Stream said they have a 60 day return policy though so I am thinking i will buy the one stated and see how it handles.
Weather just hit 60 degrees here so if it is stable I may get one this weekend and float it at the lake.

Lots of reading and lots of looking so far.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#41]
FYI.  Academy has a 20% off coupon code:  CC201820PCT
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 3:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#42]
I bought a Pelican Catch 100 a couple of weeks ago and I love it.  The catch 120 and 100 are fairly new so there's not a lot of youtube videos or feedback on them, but the folks that have them seem to love them.  Facebook has a user group and it's mostly positive.  I bought the 100 because I wanted something I could grab and go quickly with and would fit easily in the back of my old 4 runner. It weighs less than 50 lbs,  It's stable, comfortable and paddles very easily even with my inexperienced ass doing the paddling.   The 120 would be better if bringing a dog or small child, or if going out on big water.

In researching kayaks, I found there is a lot of bitterness toward one company or the other ( like the Glock vs Glock hater folks in the gun forums ) The different owner groups on facebook are a good place to look for complaints about specific models.  If someone has a problem they like to gripe about it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
RamX is polyethylene (HMPE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGuVC5AanaU
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 10:13:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#44]
You do know there's more than one type of Polyethylene.....right  Whatever proprietary crap they do to it.....it can't be welded like a normal rotomolded boat.  The weld won't stick.  Go to a store and touch the material and tell me it's the same stuff used on a normal rotomolded boat.  It isn't.

Prove me wrong.  I've personally tried welding it on more than 5 noobs boats that broke and have first hand experience with it.  Those boats are in a recycling bin somewhere now.  That stuff is garbage.  It is not the same as a normal rotomolded boat.

Take my advice or leave it, it's free.  Just trying to save some money for anyone that cares to read about some actual first hand experience.  Kayaking and canoeing is the main thing I do.  And I wouldn't spend my personal money on Pelican's garbage.  Their company has cost my friends more money in the long run due to not buying a decent boat and having to replace their broken Pelican in pretty short order.

Hell.....go read on an actual paddling forum.  Pelican's aren't recommended and are regarded as the junk they are.  And it's common knowledge that they can't be fixed or welded once broken because a weld won't stick.  The material is not the same as a normal rotomolded boat.

Originally Posted By Gurthy:

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:44:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VACaver] [#45]
You do know there's more than one type of Polyethylene.....right  Whatever proprietary crap they do to it.....it can't be welded like a normal rotomolded boat.  The weld won't stick.  Go to a store and touch the material and tell me it's the same stuff used on a normal rotomolded boat.  It isn't.

Prove me wrong.  I've personally tried welding it on more than 5 noobs boats that broke and have first hand experience with it.  Those boats are in a recycling bin somewhere now.  That stuff is garbage.  It is not the same as a normal rotomolded boat.

Take my advice or leave it, it's free.  Just trying to save some money for anyone that cares to read about some actual first hand experience.  Kayaking and canoeing is the main thing I do.  And I wouldn't spend my personal money on Pelican's garbage.  Their company has cost my friends more money in the long run due to not buying a decent boat and having to replace their broken Pelican in pretty short order.

Hell.....go read on an actual paddling forum.  Pelican's aren't recommended and are regarded as the junk they are.  And it's common knowledge that they can't be fixed or welded once broken because a weld won't stick.  The material is not the same as a normal rotomolded boat.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Gurthy:

Pelican says their boats can be welded and recommend Polyvance
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DodgeDakota] [#46]
.....good luck with that.  My personal experience is that their PE is really high molecular weight, it’s slippery and nothing sticks to it.....including any type of weld I’ve tried.  It’s also more brittle, and cracks in ways that are not easily repairable.....even if it could be welded.  Sometimes a weld will almost stick with a Pelican.....and then fail almost immediately, and you’re left trying to duct tape your boat in the river to get home (real story there...).

Their boats and material are made to cut costs and they are an inferior product to a standard rotomolded boat.

Again.....just my personal experience.....and the thoughts of most of the paddling community.  Go read an actual paddling forum.  Pelican is widely regarded as complete bottom of the barrel.

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:38:17 AM EDT
[#47]
.....good luck with that.  My personal experience is that their PE is really high molecular weight, it’s slippery and nothing sticks to it.....including any type of weld I’ve tried.  It’s also more brittle, and cracks in ways that are not easily repairable.....even if it could be welded.  Sometimes a weld will almost stick with a Pelican.....and then fail almost immediately, and you’re left trying to duct tape your boat in the river to get home (real story there...).

Their boats and material are made to cut costs and they are an inferior product to a standard rotomolded boat.

Again.....just my personal experience.....and the thoughts of most of the paddling community.  Go read an actual paddling forum.  Pelican is widely regarded as complete bottom of the barrel.

View All Quotes

Not saying that it can be done...just saying that the manufacturer says it can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Had the new Pelican Catch 100 out on Jackson Lake today.  I was surprised by how fast this kayak is moving from spot to spot.  I'm an inexperienced paddler and figured it would be a lot slower as it's not really designed to be a speed demon.   It's a ton of fun to fish from and the framed up seat is extremely comfortable.   The only thing I regret about buying the kayak is I should have done this a long time ago.  My advise is get whichever model floats your boat and get in the game.

Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By weagle:
Had the new Pelican Catch 100 out on Jackson Lake today.  I was surprised by how fast this kayak is moving from spot to spot.  I'm an inexperienced paddler and figured it would be a lot slower as it's not really designed to be a speed demon.   It's a ton of fun to fish from and the framed up seat is extremely comfortable.   The only thing I regret about buying the kayak is I should have done this a long time ago.  My advise is get whichever model floats your boat and get in the game.

https://i.imgur.com/INrzyNP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Ap8FUR0.jpg
View Quote
Looks like a beautiful day to be out on the kayak!  Any day on the water is a great day.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Chitrod:
anuone on here into Kayaks? I've been thinking about getting a sit on top Perception Angler or a FutIre beach angler to paddle around in the lake and backwater creeks and a few tamer rivers. I would fish and explore and camp and maybe even hunt waterfowl.
View Quote
Don’t go cheap.  We fish the coast out of ours. Try before you play. Some paddle much better than others. Work or play is the key.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Kayaks (Page 1 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top