Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2009 5:40:14 AM EDT
I got permission to fish a man made lake near my house.
It is a square man made lake thats about 50+ acre and is very deep.
I was told the lake is 35+ feet deep with couple places that are 40+ feet deep.
There are almost no shallow weedy area along the sides as the lake drops deep down just off the shore.
There are a lot of large bass in the lake but I have no idea on how to fish such deep lake.
I can't put in a boat or anything so only way is to fish from shore.
Any suggestion on method and bait/lure would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/16/2009 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#1]
35-40 feet is deep?
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
35-40 feet is deep?

It is Florida. Nothing high and nothing low. Imagine Kansas with trees and cartoon mice.

I know nothing of fishing down there. My guess would be floating baits if the fish hang in the deep. What is the bottom like? Water clarity?  Are the fish fed commercial foods?

This is just a tag mostly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would try one of the various "blade" baits available.
Link Posted: 5/16/2009 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the forage base?  What type of bass?

ETA...shorefishing huh?  I'd try anything then.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Slip bobbers with worms or minnows.

A slip bobber allows you to set the depth of the bait - but the bobber, on reeling in to cast back out or when catching a fish, will slide down the line towards the bait/hook/split shot weight.

With a properly set up slip bobber rig you can set the depth for 5 ft., 8 ft, 20 ft., 35 ft. or anywhere in between.

Another thing to try would be plastic worms with the hooks rigged snagless, or plastic grubs, or plastic lizards - just cast them out and let them sink to the bottom.  Or no weights - just cast them out with a spinning reel and let them sink for a few seconds and give them little twitches as you reel them back in.

Experiment with depth - the fish will change depth based on water temperature, light penetration and amount of oxygen in the water.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Assuming no heavy vegetation...heavy jigs with Mister Twister bodies, cast as far out as possible. Retrieve slowly, hopping/dragging along the bottom.
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Assuming no heavy vegetation...heavy jigs with Mister Twister bodies, cast as far out as possible. Retrieve slowly, hopping/dragging along the bottom.

+1
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#9]
slip bobbers with night crawlers or minnows (if the owner allows them).     Experiment with depth if you have to, but I doubt your going to have problems in a rarely fished private lake.   Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.
I'm going to check out the lake tomorrow morning if it isn't raining.
I'm going to try worms and lizards on Carolina rig with 1/2 to 3/4 oz bullet weight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was in Florida for school (a whole year) we fished Lake Toho in Kissimmee. We saw guys using big shiners with a balloon for a float. They would have the bait depth at about 2 feet for this shallow lake. They would catch monsters.
I like the slip bobber idea for small bait but thier motto was "we use BIG bait for BIG fish".
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I was in Florida for school (a whole year) we fished Lake Toho in Kissimmee. We saw guys using big shiners with a balloon for a float. They would have the bait depth at about 2 feet for this shallow lake. They would catch monsters.
I like the slip bobber idea for small bait but thier motto was "we use BIG bait for BIG fish".

I love Big Toho awesome to watch the bass popping the surface at daybreak
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd survey the lake w/ your sonar (if you have one), find some structure, and use jigs.  

Either heavy jigging spoons, or the bucktail hair jigs w/ some mylar reflecting material tied in.

Try drifting w/  3 way or drop shot rigs and live bait also.

May & June fish the shoreline if you want to target (catch and release) the big females on the nests. (if legal in your State!)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd survey the lake w/ your sonar (if you have one), find some structure, and use jigs.  

Either heavy jigging spoons, or the bucktail hair jigs w/ some mylar reflecting material tied in.

Try drifting w/  3 way or drop shot rigs and live bait also.

May & June fish the shoreline if you want to target (catch and release) the big females on the nests. (if legal in your State!)

I caught damn near every species but a Catfish in the local lake yesterday by drift fishing with live bait, so that technique does work

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top