Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2018 6:24:59 PM EDT
Reading up on the 100 mile challenge thread I am curious what constitutes a hike and what is merely a walk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a real chance of dying?

No?

It's a walk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say that the terrain dictates. If you're walking around the block, it's a walk. If you're out for multiple miles over several hours, on trails with elevation changes, there's a better chance that your activity could be termed as being a hike
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Last weekend I took a hike.  About six miles with 300 foot elevation changes, several times over.  Up, down, up, down, up, down.  I’m a regular runner and that hike was moderately hard for me; worked different muscles and was worth the time.

Another way a walk can earn the title “hike” is speed.  If you can average around 4 mph on level ground - that’s a hike.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say that the terrain dictates. If you're walking around the block, it's a walk. If you're out for multiple miles over several hours, on trails with elevation changes, there's a better chance that your activity could be termed as being a hike
View Quote
This is how I feel as well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitions will vary, but I also agree much has to do with distance, terrain, difficulty, and duration.  A walk can be as simple as a "walk through the park"; I've done day-hikes including getting up to 3/4 the side of Mt. Rainier (took about 16 hours).  I've hiked in several miles and set up a base camp for just chilling and I've done 100+multi-day backpacking trips (which is more of what I enjoy doing).

For me, if I'm hiking, it's usually just a day, but into locations that could turn into an over-night trip.  I almost always carry a day-pack when hiking.  Simply walking is where I know I'm minutes from my vehicle or trailhead.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the difference in terms is more front country vs back country.  Like where I live I would walk to my house from the store roughly 3 miles.  I also have a remote cabin that is three miles from the trailhead it has less elevation than from the store to my house but only 2/3 of it has an actual trail.  I would say that I hike in to my cabin.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the difference in terms is more front country vs back country.  Like where I live I would walk to my house from the store roughly 3 miles.  I also have a remote cabin that is three miles from the trailhead it has less elevation than from the store to my house but only 2/3 of it has an actual trail.  I would say that I hike in to my cabin.
View Quote
I think Alaska has its own unique challenges to differentiating between the two terms.
When I was a kid I'd roadwalk with my younger brother to the nearest grocery store, which was about four miles one way.
Didn't think anything of it.
If we wanted our monthly comic book and filled fruit pie  fix, there was no other way to get there.
Not like our parents would load us up in their car, and if we went into town with parents it was a multi-task trip centered on stuff my parents needed accomplishing, not stuff the kids wanted to do.

Additionally, I don't think that non-hikers/ backpackers understand the difference between the terms front country and backcountry.

Trails in my local state parks, which I haven't generally done since I worked in those parks as a teen and walked the trails every day dragging chain saws and hand tools to worksites, can still give you a pretty good work out even though they're what I refer to as "civilized trails", with retaining walls, stairs on hillsides, wide maintained trails where three or four people could walk abreast, etc. That may differ from other parts of the country where things are flat as a pancake
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
They way it was defined in last years thread was it counts as a hike if you are going out of you daily routine to be in nature.
ETA
When my wife makes me walk around our neighborhood it is a walk. If I go down to the river for a walk it’s a hike. It’s about being in nature and not on roads.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If I walk on the road, it's a walk. If I walk in the Forest, with predators that can kill me, it's a hike.

I live in adjacent to Manistee National Forest
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think Alaska has its own unique challenges to differentiating between the two terms.
When I was a kid I'd roadwalk with my younger brother to the nearest grocery store, which was about four miles one way.
Didn't think anything of it.
If we wanted our monthly comic book and filled fruit pie  fix, there was no other way to get there.
Not like our parents would load us up in their car, and if we went into town with parents it was a multi-task trip centered on stuff my parents needed accomplishing, not stuff the kids wanted to do.

Additionally, I don't think that non-hikers/ backpackers understand the difference between the terms front country and backcountry.

Trails in my local state parks, which I haven't generally done since I worked in those parks as a teen and walked the trails every day dragging chain saws and hand tools to worksites, can still give you a pretty good work out even though they're what I refer to as "civilized trails", with retaining walls, stairs on hillsides, wide maintained trails where three or four people could walk abreast, etc. That may differ from other parts of the country where things are flat as a pancake
View Quote
True Alaska does have some differences we will go for 30 mile walks to hunt sheep.

Instead of front country or backcountry works better than civilized vs wilderness
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Really there isn't much of a difference between hiking and walking.

At least for me a walk is more for enjoyment then a hike is. When I hike it always includes a pack of some sort and it's usually weighted with 40 lbs + 3L of water.

I'm a city dweller now so many of my hikes are on improved surfaces. I have to drive 40 minutes or more for a hike in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At least for me a walk is more for enjoyment then a hike is. When I hike it always includes a pack of some sort and it's usually weighted with 40 lbs + 3L of water.

I'm a city dweller now so many of my hikes are on improved surfaces. I have to drive 40 minutes or more for a hike in the woods.
View Quote
I wouldn't live anywhere that far removed from nature
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I tend to look at is as walking is anaerobic activity, hiking is aerobic activity.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 7:53:40 PM EDT
[#15]
hiking is a more physically strenuous activity...usually on trails rather then logging roads etc.  If I need a pack, and poles its a hike.

if I can wear shorts and flip flops, its a walk.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's awesome.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hiking is a more physically strenuous activity...usually on trails rather then logging roads etc.  If I need a pack, and poles its a hike.

View Quote
The hardcore hikers in my main group are still wearing shorts and only change into long pants once the snow flies. I don't know anyone who packs flip flops as anything other than camp shoes......
Edit. Sure seems like shorts are the preferred clothing of through hikers
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys argue like bored lawyers
View Quote
What do bored lawyers argue about
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, next time you go for a walk, take a rucksack weighing 100lbs+

....then it's a hike!
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the teens in my youth group hiked Resurrection trail in shorts and flip flops this summer.  Of course he had a pack and poles as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.
Any sort of pack or gear- hike.
Just a short 2 mile trail. Walk
Strap on the pack and bust out miles- hike.
Plus the can i die,be rescued. Kinda helps figure it out lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I "go for a walk" quite a bit more often than I "go hiking". Walking with my friends after work, or around the block at home (rural, so that's still close to five miles)...those don't go in the hiking thread. If the destination is in the All Trails app and I have to drive to get there, it's a "hike".
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
True Alaska does have some differences we will go for 30 mile walks to hunt sheep.  
Instead of front country or backcountry works better than civilized vs wilderness
View Quote
Not what I saw on that hit show,  'Buying Alaska.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No?  It's a walk.
View Quote
People die every day in L.A.  

But nobody walks in L.A.    

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=80WyBxo0Hto
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No?

It's a walk.
View Quote
You can get killed walkin your doggy
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#26]
All hikes are walks but not all walks are hikes
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, next time you go for a walk, take a rucksack weighing 100lbs+

....then it's a RUCK!  
View Quote
Fixed it.  Rucks are when your a pack mule and without the fun.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top