Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2018 7:29:42 PM EDT
Looking for information if anyone has ever done this.

I recently purchased 11.2 acres of beautiful hunting land.  Electricity is at the road, and a year round spring-fed creek.  Two possible sites to put a hunting shack.

Thinking about either placing a small camper here, or possibly a prefab hunting shack.

Doe anyone have previous experience with this?  Any potential pitfalls?  Manufacturers I can investigate--the Internet has tons of options, and I'm trying to stay under $10K.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for information if anyone has ever done this.

I recently purchased 11.2 acres of beautiful hunting land.  Electricity is at the road, and a year round spring-fed creek.  Two possible sites to put a hunting shack.

Thinking about either placing a small camper here, or possibly a prefab hunting shack.

Doe anyone have previous experience with this?  Any potential pitfalls?  Manufacturers I can investigate--the Internet has tons of options, and I'm trying to stay under $10K.
View Quote
I have no experience, but you could always do a “Tiny house”. I just googled Tiny House and “Tiny House Kits” and found this

https://www.kitsuperstore.com/best-barns-sheds/5042-lakewood-12x18-wood-shed-lakewood_1218.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ebdBRC1ARIsAD8U0V7yO1GTZL37g-bu5EqJYzFlvOzkHrFOkl_fXDRh7usJqbdvYmU-MXcaAo72EALw_wcB
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
For under $10k, buy a nice used camper....
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I hunt on 141 acres that started at 80 which had been untouched for 40 plus years. We now have a lake with dock, 2 ponds one with a dock and a cabin that comfortably sleeps 4 all built on nights and weekends.

What exactly are you wanting to know?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm leaning more towards a prefab cabin to place on the property--I don't want to drag a camping trailer back and forth if I can avoid it.  Did you elevate your cabin, or building slab?  Cost to build the base?  Orient for 100-120 square feet.

Would you recommend a generator for power (lights, coffee maker, portable heater), or pay to run power lines and hook up to the meter?  I still need a soil sample to see which building site I can install septic, so this will dictate location and cost to run electric lines.

Would you recommend the expense to place a well and septic for toilet/shower, or go with a composting toilet?  This is only going to be a weekend hunting cabin, and compost toilets would be inexpensive.

I plan on bringing a propane grill for cooking, and cooler for cold stuff.  So, I don't need a lot of interior kitchen space.  This is just a location to get out of the weather/sleep prior to hunting.  Just trying to balance a simple set-up for ease of use.  Any input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Google offers a plethora of information, and thank you for the quick hit.  I found one from BZB Cabins that are capable of being built in a day or two.  I'm considering this company.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm leaning more towards a prefab cabin to place on the property--I don't want to drag a camping trailer back and forth if I can avoid it.  Did you elevate your cabin, or building slab?  Cost to build the base?  Orient for 100-120 square feet.

We laid a base of gravel, then bought an insulated construction trailer they used for an office,  we built 2 full size bunk beds. We then built a kitchen/dining room roughly the exact same size with a roof over both.

Would you recommend a generator for power (lights, coffee maker, portable heater), or pay to run power lines and hook up to the meter?  I still need a soil sample to see which building site I can install septic, so this will dictate location and cost to run electric lines.
We have power, we built an outhouse out back over a gully.

Would you recommend the expense to place a well and septic for toilet/shower, or go with a composting toilet?  This is only going to be a weekend hunting cabin, and compost toilets would be inexpensive. We poop into a gully.

I plan on bringing a propane grill for cooking, and cooler for cold stuff.  So, I don't need a lot of interior kitchen space.  This is just a location to get out of the weather/sleep prior to hunting.  Just trying to balance a simple set-up for ease of use.  Any input is appreciated!
View Quote
Some general stuff.
If you have electric get a hot plate, I feed 4 giant eaters off a hotplate and griddle.
No cabinets or drawers all open shelves because of fucking mice. They get in everything.

No cloth, bedding anything left that can be used by rodents or allow kids to comfortably fuck on. Guys down the road a bit left matttresses until they started finding used condoms every time they opened the cabin up for the season.
I will be there next week I will try to get pics of our setup.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any Amish near you? If so, ask them to build you a building. It will be better built than any camper. They are amazingly cheap. My fil had them build a storage shed. They basically built the shed for what it would have cost him just to buy the materials.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are there any Amish near you? If so, ask them to build you a building. It will be better built than any camper. They are amazingly cheap. My fil had them build a storage shed. They basically built the shed for what it would have cost him just to buy the materials.
View Quote
Unfortunately, no.  Closest Amish are upper Kentucky.  I'd have to import a few...
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Tuff Shed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#10]
when i was younger my dad got some land to hunt and play around on. lucky for us it had a "decent" shack on it. did a lot of work and even doubled the sqft of the shack. i would say build something over buying prebuilt.

i would also look at leveling the spot and building on pillars a foot off the ground. wire mesh under so critters can't get underneath.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Build on either a slab or piers.

Check out THIS link.

Unless you have no building ability, I wouldn't do the camper.  Campers are made to be light, not made to be durable.  If you do go the camper route, put it under a roof to preserve its lifespan.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
For the cabin I would look for an Amish built,where they can build it then haul it out there and drop it on site.My cabin is wired for a generator for lights.I ran lines for a propane heater,which also fuels a Premier battery ignition propane range.I also have a wood stove(which I mainly use)I have a Laveo Dry flush off grid toilet,but use a bucket on the porch or tree most often.I also have a few solar lights,& a Storm battery pack ,for when I don't feel like listening to the generator.I do most of my cooking outside on a park grill.I bring water out with me when I go.I have a 300gal. tank that my gutters will drain into it.( not done with this project yet) but won't be for drinking.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#13]
A 12 x 16' cabin with loft should comfortably fit 4 adults.
Not that expensive if you DIY.
There's plans all over the web.
Should be able to build in 3-4 weekends with 2-3 guys.
Check out permits for a primitive toilet (shit house)
Power with a 1-2K generator, bare bones wiring.
As stated.. leave nothing for mice to eat or thieves to walk off with.
Use salvaged lumber where you can, if available.
Should be well under $10K
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the cabin I would look for an Amish built,where they can build it then haul it out there and drop it on site.My cabin is wired for a generator for lights.I ran lines for a propane heater,which also fuels a Premier battery ignition propane range.I also have a wood stove(which I mainly use)I have a Laveo Dry flush off grid toilet,but use a bucket on the porch or tree most often.I also have a few solar lights,& a Storm battery pack ,for when I don't feel like listening to the generator.I do most of my cooking outside on a park grill.I bring water out with me when I go.I have a 300gal. tank that my gutters will drain into it.( not done with this project yet) but won't be for drinking.
View Quote
Thanks for your feedback!  I'm looking into these items you've listed!
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank you for the feedback!  I'm already working with the county health department for soil sampling and permits for sewer.  I was thinking about either running electricity from the road or a Honda generator. Both have pros and cons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
16 X 24 2 story cabin on my ranch
8k 6 years ago.  Added electric.100ft leg Interior walls. Carpet. Wood burning stove . No plumbing.  Sitting at about 11k. So far
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]
http://cherokeestoragebuildingsllc.com

Check these out. They build to suit and deliver.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's just about what I was going to suggest.  Ours started out with modest plans, 12x16.  Ended up 20x30.  I wouldn't change a thing, but it's a house not a cabin.  A 12x16 version would be much more stripped down and functional.

One thing to note, you'll never wish you insulated "less".    Leave room for an oversized overhang or porch area.  At a camp not everything needs to stay inside, but it does need to stay dry.  Steel roofing lends well to later add-ons.  But don't skimp on a moisture barrier.  Steel will sweat otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's just about what I was going to suggest.  Ours started out with modest plans, 12x16.  Ended up 20x30.  I wouldn't change a thing, but it's a house not a cabin.  A 12x16 version would be much more stripped down and functional.

One thing to note, you'll never wish you insulated "less".    Leave room for an oversized overhang or porch area.  At a camp not everything needs to stay inside, but it does need to stay dry.  Steel roofing lends well to later add-ons.  But don't skimp on a moisture barrier.  Steel will sweat otherwise.
View Quote
Regarding insulation, did you use spray-in foam, batting, or something else?   Safe to assume walls, ceiling, and floor?  Would you recommend leaving the floor bare, or adding a water-resistant flooring (like a laminate)?  Thank you for the feedback!
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Insulate walls, ceiling and floor.  We used mostly batting, spray is better but a lot more expensive and harder to DIY in remote locations.
As for flooring, start bare.  You can always add when something cheap, free or appropriate comes along.  If you don't have something easy to clean, you'll find yourself (and others) wearing outside footwear inside, making it a LOT harder to keep clean.

This is where our plans started.
Attachment Attached File

But something like this would be easier and faster to DIY without thorough plans.
Attachment Attached File

Google "shed with loft", click on images and throw away time...
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
While I do love it, at times I wish we kept the plans more modest.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Very impressive!!  Thank you for your feedback!
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Check local laws first...................

In order to have livable space you will most likely need a well and septic system, to be legal.

You can avoid all this with a camper that has current license and inspection.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Check local laws first...................

In order to have livable space you will most likely need a well and septic system, to be legal.

You can avoid all this with a camper that has current license and inspection.
View Quote
This is also a viable option.  I was considering a RPOD No Boundaries camper.  Small enough to keep at home when not hunting.  A quiet-run generator for power, and military wag-bags (ziplock baggies for poop) for my latrine purposes.  The downside to these is the expense, and rapid depreciation...not sure of TN requirements for license/registration at this time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
A friend of mine did something like this for his "hunting cabin".

This one is three short containers put together.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
military wag-bags (ziplock baggies for poop) for my latrine purposes.
View Quote
Amazon has pop up shower tents. If you're only staying there occasionally buy a free standing toilet seat, pop up privy and dig a hole. Cost about 100 bucks and dug hole.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]
11 acres is enough to hunt, but I doubt you could hunt and have a cabin on the same 11 acres and be very successful. That's not a lot of land.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Google arched cabins. Pretty interesting concept and definitely worth considering
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:45:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i7X4j-MgbOM/T7QsTLQX9gI/AAAAAAAARRc/weafEZnKzBE/s1600/container-house-14.jpg

http://www.tincancabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Deck1.jpg
View Quote
Details? Prices?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thank you for the feedback!  I'm already working with the county health department for soil sampling and permits for sewer.  I was thinking about either running electricity from the road or a Honda generator. Both have pros and cons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Run your wiring in conduit or BX/armored flex conduit. Mice love the insulation on Romex inside stud walls. Nice unseen fire hazard.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Run your wiring in conduit or BX/armored flex conduit. Mice love the insulation on Romex inside stud walls. Nice unseen fire hazard.
View Quote
Great tip!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 3:24:13 AM EDT
[#32]
A friend of mine had a pad poured and then built a concrete block "cabin" himself.  I'd guesstimate it's about 15x25 feet or so with a rolling garage door, a person door, and a few windows.  Used pre-built wood trusses for the roof that provide a pretty good sized attic storage area.

He did all the work himself except pouring the pad.  Being concrete you can build it in stages as weather won't hurt anything.  It's rodent-proof, weather tight, etc.  He has a small generator and ran wiring through the rafters with conduit on the wall surfaces down to outlets/switches.

He said the materials were around $6k total(block, trusses, roofing, doors, etc) plus the cost to pour the pad.  
His concrete building is light years nicer than a camper or a pre-built "shed" and will last nearly forever.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Went down to the hunting property yesterday. Not counting labor for our work but including a bulldozer to level the ground,  gravel laying and power pole and meter install we are in about 7000 give or take.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Top one here is my deer blind.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Excellent cabin!  
Lots of electric devices...are you running off of local power or generator?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Excellent cabin!  
Lots of electric devices...are you running off of local power or generator?
View Quote
We run off local power, we had a power pole and meter added. Cabin has a plugin to the meter, we keep unplugged except when there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#40]
@TimJ that is perfect!    Good insulation goes a long way.

You brought up a good point though.  One thing about being on the edge of the grid, you need a backup to the backup.  We have a 200 amp service, but at least once we've had the power out for around 18 days.  Its out for 2 to 3 days regularly. Although the power co does a great job.  I remember twice a falling tree knocked out power to less than a dozen homes but they had it back up and running in less that 5 hours both times.  Being somewhat of a vacation home, I don't want to rough it just because there was a storm last week.  We keep plenty of oil for all the oil lamps, we have a 500gal propane that runs a fire place, stove and soon to be hot water.  Also the generator it converted and plumbed to the tank.  I have yet to set up solar, but it's on the short list.  Unfortunately, security is an issue in WV with the drug scene.  Kinda sucks really, but I've come to look forward to going through the trail cam pics.  Gives me reasons to go talk to the locals who are on the straight and narrow.  Show them pics of the trespassers so they know who to watch put for and they give me some background on them.  A couple of the locals have ties to the state police so they are a big help.  Even with all the drugs, theft and vandalism, it's nice to know good people are out there and willing to help you out. Although, I've been known to spend 10 days in the hills without seeing or talking to another human.  I mean other than scouring ARFcom on my phone.

As you can tell I enjoy these threads.  In for others experiences.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#41]
A big shed would work nicely and only a few grand if you build it yourself
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for all of the replies and great ideas!!  Looking like a great summer to make decisions and start the build.  I'm grateful for everyone's responses, pictures, and tips!
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Build as big a barn as you can afford.  Add living quarters and kitchen later.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#45]
My cabin is 50 miles from the road..we built it like a trailer...steel frame/axles/hitch...built the cabin on top of it(10X12), using glue and nail guns for the main construction but screwing it where needed so we could tear it down and stack it on the floor..We had to have a wide load permit to haul it down the road, but then hauled it to site and set it up over a weekend..... we pulled the axles and welded some steel pilings buried into the bedrock to hold it up...we then built a porch over the hitch and finished it off...By law since it is a trapping cabin I was limited to 120 square foot..we stretched the wall height wise and put in a full loft  basically 6'6" height down stairs and 6' upstairs at the peak......With that we have room to sleep 6-8 upstairs on pads, and leave the downstairs open..On one nasty trip we slept 10 people comfortably during a nasty snow storm...It is built to the same codes as a modern house..2x6 walls, 2x10 floor and 2x8 roof..It is well insulated and is easily heated even in -60 weather..We use a propane stove and heater since it is above treeline, and it has been totally comfortable for the last 15 years...Total cost back then was about 7 grand, but it will stand at least another 50 years with minimal attention...

It is surrounded by about 5 foot of snow...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#46]
I always wanted to do something like this, but with a sliding glass door instead of an overhead garage door.

$6k for the shell, buy it when there's an 11% rebate offer, and you've got 4k left for concrete slab, insulation, drywall, etc.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#47]
This one is very nice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For under $10k, buy a nice used camper....
View Quote
that's my vote, and put one of those metal garage cover things over it.

you can buy small prefab "cabins" as well, a lot of the backyard shed companies make them. However they aren't insulated and have no climate control either.

I'd do the camper+cover setup and carry a small 4 stroke generator with me to power it while im there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-i7X4j-MgbOM/T7QsTLQX9gI/AAAAAAAARRc/weafEZnKzBE/s1600/container-house-14.jpg

http://www.tincancabin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Deck1.jpg
View Quote
mans thats awesome
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is 12'x12' with a 6' loft extended my over the porch. Inside the loft extends 4' into the cabin...nice sleeping area. Woodstove and a Big Buddy propane heater. 2x6 studs and an insulated floor. Northern New England. It gets COLD but even the Mr Buddy on medium keeps it toasty.
Built from a pile of lumber with a couple of friends. Salvaged door and windows, scrounged wood stove, one of those pergo type floors bought on clearance at Lowes.
I use a propane stove to cook on, usually; have a 60 watt solar setup with 2 marine batteries for radios and a small battery charger, and use a bucket with seat for a toilet. Sawdust or wood ash over the waste until it can be removed. I keep a bucket trap for mice  and keep most of the food in large 40mms ammo cans. Bedding is kept in large foot lockers with tight fitting lids. Usually use oil lamps, an Alladin and an antique Alladin type. Both are like 40w bulbs. In the summer (all 3 weeks of it LOL) I use battery lantern and headlamps. When there is less then a foot of snow I can get there with four wheel drive, deep snow I snowshoe in.

It's on poured concrete pilings.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2604/83113.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2604/62285.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2604/83115.JPG
View Quote
Tim, I love this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top