Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2018 7:57:15 PM EDT
At work they scrap beer keg sized metal drums (one time use for shipping of nuts or bolts) with clamp on steel lids that have a rubber gasket under the lid. I've gathered quite a few, and when filled with chilled lead shot, are immovable even by Lou Ferrigno ;)

I want to store gear/clothing/whatever fits in these in my garage, but got a hard lesson a while back about  storing leg traps /Connibear traps in a plastic bucket with a Gamma seal lid: opened the lid 8 months later, and all my traps were heavily rusted with about an inch of water in the bottom.

How can I avoid this condensation issue?
Large amounts of dessicant? Nitrogen purge?

I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
i dunno maybe a bag of rice since people use rice to dry wet phones/cameras? could get moldy if it gets too wet
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep..

Desiccant and nitrogen purging..
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Metal drums on a concrete floor will cause condensation issues.  get them up on some pallets will help a lot.  Seal-able drum liner and desiccant will further protect the contents inside the drum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
As a general rule, its better to fill the containers full to remove as much airspace as possible, yes?

How about threading a schrader valve into the lid and pulling a vacuum that way? Of course that hinders the stackability potential, but a couple of hockey pucks will lift up enough.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:00:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Don’t pull a vacuum. You’ll crush the cans.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Desiccant, make sure everything is bone dry before putting it in, and seal the drum tops with wax, tar, or any other impermeable substance. Don’t trust that spongy foam gasket in the lid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Rat_Patrol recently started a thread on storing baby items in 50 gallon drums outside.   I just looked for his post but did not see it.   if I recall his post correctly he didn't say that he did anything specific like desiccant to control condensation.    It might be worthwhile to ask him.

@Rat_Patrol,   Did you do anything specific to control humidity?

Thanks,

2Hut8
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#8]
he freshly dried the items to reduce humidity, thru in some desicant packs o kitty litter, sealed them and stored them outdoors under cover
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all.

Is Oxygen absorber the same as dessicant?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Desiccant, make sure everything is bone dry before putting it in, and seal the drum tops with wax, tar, or any other impermeable substance. Don’t trust that spongy foam gasket in the lid.
View Quote
Good point about double sealing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Vacuum seal gear.  Place in drum with padding/dunnage and O2 absorbers (disposable hand warmers work for this).  Seal drum.  Ensure that the paint is intact on the drum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top