Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2018 2:23:25 PM EDT
So I have this urge to try mountain climbing but alas there are none to be found anywhere in our beachy state. I would like to take a week vacation learn and actually climb something. Not any serious type of climb of course.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I realize a plane ticket will be involved. Where would a good place be (US or central america)? What should I look for in an instructor? Is there a controlling organization for this sort of thing? (Like PADI or NAUI etc. for divers).
I (we actually, I have a crazy friend who wants to go too) have almost no idea where to start with this.

I noticed some places list rock climbing, some mountain climbing and some mountaineering. What if any are the differences?
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Most places with big mountains have a few mountaineering routes and guided tours are usually available from many companies.  They usually offer beginner to advanced trips.

For example...
http://www.swsmtns.com/mt-whitney-guided-climbs
https://www.rmiguides.com/mt-rainier
http://shastaguides.com/climbs/

Mountaineering/Mountain Climbing is a combination of hiking, ice climbing, climbing, navigation, survival.  For example, going up Everest is mountaineering.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Living in Iowa I have the same issue and tend to fly if I want to get serious climbing in. Around here I hit either an indoor climbing gym in central Iowa or I shoot to Chicago. Your best bet might be to find a local climbing gym and start there.

Edit: If you want to head somewhere and learn to climb I have a few friends that flew out to Denver and hooked up with Denver Climbing Company and they took some beginner classes with them
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#3]
“Mountain climbing” can mean a lot. Do you want to rock climb? Hike to the top of a mountain without any real technical skill required? Climb the north face of the eiger? What do you want to do.

Any popular climbing or mountaineering location will have guide services that will essentially “carry” you to the top of whatever you are after. AMGA is the largest most accredited governing body for guides in the US. I can recommend a few if you can narrow down your interests beyond “mountain climbing.”
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to the White Mountains in NH, you can do everything from walk-up to technical. Even in good weather some of the Whites can be pretty intense. In bad weather or winter they can be downright dangerous. International Mountain Climbing School is highly rated, and co-located with International Mountain Equipment in North Conway NH. They lean more toward instruction and training, but Eastern Mountain Sports, a regional sporting goods chain, offers classes and guided winter ascents of Mt Washington. Both IME & EMS will sell or rent you all the gear you’ll need. I’ve done some winter ascents in the Whites, the weather wasn’t bad but wind chills were in the -20F to -40F range at the summits so you definitely have to be careful. Temps like that can kill you if you’re not.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I have hiked up a few mountains (Franklin mts, El Paso. Blood Mtn, N. Ga. etc.) but never rock climbed. I don't really want to go through the ice and snow. I guess some rock climbing along with a good climbing hike is what I want.
Someone suggested Pikes Peak and others mentioned mts. in Colorado and Nevada.
I am new to this whole idea, new enough to not even know what questions to ask.
Oh, overnight climbs would be fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy the book, "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills.

Read it, decide where you want to go from there.

Otherwise, fly to the Bend/Redmond Oregon area during the spring and fall and go rock climbing at Smith Rocks State Park.

Guide services are advisable.  Check out Redpoint climbing shop in Terrebonne, OR for add'l info.

Good luck, be safe. Double check all your knots, especially before rappelling.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a long time ago, but I went with American Alpine Institute, before going on my own. Great times.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok,  Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is on order and going to a local climbing wall (Vertical Ventures, St. Pete. Fl.) place next week. Should be a good start. Finding a real place to climb will come later after I see how well I do and of course just when/where I can travel.
Thanx everyone!
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Heeresbergfuhrerschule auf Mittenwald ie enlist in the German Army and go to their mountaineering course in the Alps.  Course is a year long and spoken only in German.  Had couple friends that went from Bad Tolz.

Google mountain guides in the state or mountain region you want to visit.  You can start learning some rappelling techniques to get started.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top