Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2018 11:22:40 PM EDT
Had the joy the other day of having to push through brush of Southwest Texas desert with a short sleeve shirt on now my arms are all cut up from the plant life. So I have been searching for a good long sleeve shirt one that is light and breaths but can hold up to all the things that want to stick you. Only thing I can think of is BDU tops but there has to be something better out there that I might not know about so thats why I'm looking for advice! Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
leather
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Best compromise I've found between being protective from brush and not too hot and heavy is cotton canvas in the weight offered by Carhartt, and similar fabric in various camo patterns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I would look at upland game hunting shirts .I think they are also called briar shirts. Also when Im down hunting and hiking in South Texas I just wear a long sleeve shirt similiar to a brush popper over a t shirt. It served me well during some 118° days in Vanhorn,Tx. Also when I was working in Phoenix in July and August.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Rock climbing shirts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2018 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I use outdoor research for my hiking shirts. They have held up fine in Alabama brush
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would look at upland game hunting shirts .I think they are also called briar shirts. Also when Im down hunting and hiking in South Texas I just wear a long sleeve shirt similiar to a brush popper over a t shirt. It served me well during some 118° days in Vanhorn,Tx. Also when I was working in Phoenix in July and August.
View Quote
I like them but do they have anything other then that bight cowboy style?

Quoted:
Rock climbing shirts.
View Quote
Interested like to know more about what brand or name they are under!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
This style may be worth looking at.  Thicker arms, moisture wicking chest/back.

https://tacticalgear.com/tru-spec-nylon-cotton-ripstop-combat-shirts-multicam-coyote

Note: Not necessarily the preferred vendor or best price, just the first thing I found on google.  I got a lightly used one from a surplus store for ~$30.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:
Rock climbing shirts.
Mountain hardware and outdoor research
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]
HUK fishing shirts, in particular the ICON hoodie which comes in a variety of Kryptek camo colors.

Intended for long days under the sun, plus you get the 'hoodie' for keeping the sun's rays off that bald spot that's growing on top rear portion of your noggin'.

Worn by cool-guy outdoor types everywhere:

https://www.hukgear.com/products/huk-kryptek-icon-hoodie?variant=1282370535438
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Look into the Columbia PFG shirts. They have a few different weights to chose from, I have some that are a hardier fabric but they are still light and breathable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve got 2 HUK shirts, but Simms fits me better and is my preferred long sleeve sun shirt
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not sure what you're dealing with, but I really like these for hiking in central Texas woods. Most of mine have about 150 miles (hiked) on each with no rips, but they're just getting hit by the occasional leaves and branches (and thorns once in a while).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YZKTBR/?coliid=I1FLA85G7OAR6H&colid=2WVDTN1LLEZX9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a white vented MTN Hardwear long sleeve shirt, it lets you breath, and covers exposed skin from the sun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top