Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 8:36:19 AM EDT
Has anyone ever used of these? I'm not a huge fan of the blue color, but Dick's has them on sale for $81 and they have pretty solid reviews across the board. I have a large chest, and don't particularly care if I have my pack inside the tent with me or not (although if I did, it would most likely be used as a makeshift pillow of sorts if I could get away with it).

I've given up on the "I'll build a shelter" idea for my get home bag and want an actual backpacking tent now, but I'm still on a budget. It would be going in a Kelty Redwing 3100 or Camelbak Tri-Zip.

KÖPPEN LOKAL 1 Person Tent

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever used of these? I'm not a huge fan of the blue color, but Dick's has them on sale for $81 and they have pretty solid reviews across the board. I have a large chest, and don't particularly care if I have my pack inside the tent with me or not (although if I did, it would most likely be used as a makeshift pillow of sorts if I could get away with it).

I've given up on the "I'll build a shelter" idea for my get home bag and want an actual backpacking tent now, but I'm still on a budget. It would be going in a Kelty Redwing 3100 or Camelbak Tri-Zip.

KÖPPEN LOKAL 1 Person Tent

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/graphics/product_images/pDSP1-14637864dt.jpg
View Quote

I have never seen that brand of tent but when I used to back pack I learned from experience that a free standing tents rule.
I am assuming by the picture that the tent is a 1 man version,but maybe not.
Lots of good,well made tents out there for under $200.
I just bought a Alps Mountaineering Lyxn 1 man tent that was marked down from $169 to $105.
Good tents with great prices are out there if one spends thirty minutes googling.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the one I linked to a freestanding tent? I'm a total noob when it comes to this, I've camped my whole life but it was always in a campground or a prairie just outside of town, out of a vehicle, so weight/space was not a concern and I usually had much bigger tents so I could put my stuff inside them at night.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the one I linked to a freestanding tent? I'm a total noob when it comes to this, I've camped my whole life but it was always in a campground or a prairie just outside of town, out of a vehicle, so weight/space was not a concern and I usually had much bigger tents so I could put my stuff inside them at night.
View Quote

It might be freestanding but because of the way that vestibule is guyed out I have my doubts.
But that doesn't make it a totally bad tent.
However just remember if the tent is freestanding and the wind or rain picks up it is very easy to just unstake the tent and move it or turn it in a different direction from the direction of the wind.

I actually had to get out of a freestanding tent years ago and move it to higher ground due to heavy rains and the once placid stream I was 15 feet from was turning into a raging river.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to check and see if I can find any specific info in regards to that elsewhere online.

Seeing as my upper back (measured from outside of arms) is 25" wide, floor width is something I desperately need to be able to move.

Was also looking at the Kelty Weekender sleeping pad. Not sure what would be a better idea for me, because I have some old injuries to my right arm that make sleeping on the ground a real bitch, and space is at a premium of course. I don't particularly like warm sleeping bags, because I get hot easily, and it's like a jungle down here except in the coolest parts of winter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top