Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 7:16:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry couldn't locate it, but here a good looking spot: [url]http://www2.powercom.net/~rokats/armyhome.html[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The helo with the wings is an Air Assault badge.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Striker,
As 03 shooter said the helo w/ wings is a air assault badge. I have no Idea whatsoever on the top patch ,but I believe the bottom patch is a III corps(Ft.Hood TX)patch.
hope it helps,
echo6
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
where in canada do you live?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Striker, the bottom patch is a subdued 3rd Marine Division patch. The Marine Corps stopped wearing Division patches some time in the early 50's. However, when I was in the National Guard There were several other ex-marines who were combat vets in Viet Nam they wore "Combat" patches from various Marine divisions/Air wings. The Combat patch is worn on the right shoulder of U.S. Army personnel and indicates that you were assigned to that unit in a combat theater of operations. Incidentally, the USMC never had subdued patches to my knowledge and as far as I know have not worn patches on combat uniforms since shortly after WWI. You will find the colored version at the following link, scroll down to the 3rd Mar Div patch. [url]http://www.grunt.com/divisionpatches.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is the "Official" Army Organizational Insignia site: [url]http://www.perscom.army.mil/tagd/tioh/ssi/ssi.htm[/url]

Happy hunting.

You will note that the shape of III Corps patch is different than the one shown here. Echo6 was understandably confused, as the logo is almost the same - never been to Hood myself though.

I am a bit perplexed as to why an Army NG soldier would have a subdued USMC division patch on his left shoulder. That should be, as Sukebe pointed out, the patch for his current unit. Did this guy strike you as maybe a few sandwiches short of a picnic?

Incidentally, the air assault badge is awarded to soldiers who complete a ten day course in basic helicopter sling loading / rappeling operations. It is offered on dang near every major US Army installation. It is in the same category of award as the Parachutist (Airborne)wings. Basically an Army Merit Badge.

If I'm not mistaken - the Air Assault School as it stands today is a post Vietnam thing, although perhaps Vietname era guys were authorized to where it based on prior experience and in lieu of attending the school. In this case it may have been much like how COL Hackworth was authorized the Ranger Tab. This goes way outside of my expertise though. For an Army guy I think much more like a Marine when it comes to these things, though. I think it's all pretty silly. This is probably based on the fact that I live and breathe the "Heavy" Army. For some reason, tankers and the like don't feel the need for cheesy badges.

Adam
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#11]
The patch on the bottom is NOT 3rd Corps, as it (3rd Corp) consists of a caltrop with NO surrounding field. I wish I could be of more help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
the bottom patch does indeed appear to be the 3d Marines but the Marines quit wearing patches before subdued patches came into existance. In RVN alot of guys had patches made for themselves,so anything is possible.  Crowboy
View Quote

Not trying to be anal here, I know you addressing striker not me but...  referring to the 3rd Marines means 3rd Marine Regiment. The patch is 3rd Marine Division. Since the Army authorizes combat patches several places offer subdued versions of Marine Division and Air Wing patches for use by Soldiers. So when you see the phrase 3rd Marines, 1st Marines, 7th Marines etc. that is in reference to a Marine regiment. The Corps stopped using unit patches on their uniforms in the early 50's. When they did use them they only used Division or Air Wing(aviation equivalent of a division) patches. The designs are still in use by the Corps but not on uniforms. Stikers buddy was very likely a Viet Nam vet with the 3rd Marine Division.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The AR670-1 states that you must be assigned to an Army unit to be authorized an Army combat patch.

Several former Marines are currently with the USAMU @ Ft. Benning, and this topic has come up several times. The same rule applies to the CIB. The reg states that you must be assigned to an Army unit etc. So, Marines are not authorized to wear Marine patches as combat patches....or several other USMC awards.

Lew
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I always thought it was strange but then again the NG units have a tendency to do their own thing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top