Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 1:36:32 PM EDT
I am going to MEPS on Thursday. I want either an 18X Special Forces or Option 40 Ranger contract. Any tips on getting either one and also choosing between the two would be greatly appreciated. Also I am interested in any warnings people can give me about tricks they might try to play on me to get me into whatever they want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Rule number 1. Regardless of what anyone says to you, unless it is written in plain english on your contract, you will not get it. Before you sign read the contract. If it isnt what you want, dont sign, they will make the necessary changes.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Things may have changed, it's been a long time since I was in the Army, but it used to be you couldn't get either Special Forces or Ranger on an enlistment contract...

both were competitive examination slots available only after Basic and AIT (or OSUT).  And most were only available after you got to your first unit.   Most SOF and Ranger types I knew were infantry first, and then they competed for slots.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
im pretty sure you have to be an E5 and have a complete 4yr enlistment under your belt before you can go SF...ya know, its not too late to go to the Marine recruiters.  oh and uh....if an air force chicks says she'll split the cost of a pony keg with you for a hotel party DO IT, if she says she has clippers in her bag let her shave your head. you'll probably score a sweet BJ and your last POA for a long time...YMMV

Canada????  are you american indian?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get SF initial entry contracts these days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Rule number 1. Regardless of what anyone says to you, unless it is written in plain english on your contract, you will not get it. Before you sign read the contract. If it isnt what you want, dont sign, they will make the necessary changes.

+1000

Get it in writing... If it's not in writing, and you sign, you're SOL.

If they hem & haw, "you can get that later after Basic...," get up and walk. It's you signing on the
dotted line for the next several years of your life, and they're blowing smoke up your posterior to get
another man on board.

You need to do what you want to do. Your recruiter might get his drawers in a knot if you tell him that
it's a no-go, and talk all kinds of trash about signing papers, and commitments and all that, but that's
tough shit. Until you raise your hand and take the oath at whatever base you're taking Basic at, you
can walk if you don't like it.

Get what you want, or you'll regret it. I wish that I'd had a board like this to ask questions such as
this back in the day. I'd still have signed, but I'd probably have gone with a different MOS, and would
have been better equipped for the line of BS that was going to be fed to me at the recruiters & MEPS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Canada????  are you american indian?

American citizen soon to leave and never live here again.

Yeah, if there is a conflict I could have a pretty tense trip from Fargo back to Grand Forks with the recruiter. I will stand my ground.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, you can get SF as an initial entry contract now. You can also get ranger option but that only means that you go to RIP after airborne and infantry school. Then you have to spend a couple of years in a Ranger BN befor going to the actual Ranger school. You better be sure that you want to spend the next couple of years under extreme discipline. A Private in Ranger BN is the lowest form of life on the planet. And you WILL be treated as such. But, you'll get to have alot of fun and do some really good training, so it's a trade.

Don't expect to go to MEPS and just write your own ticket. There are only a certain number of SF and Ranger slots available and there simply might not be one for you. Or, you may not qualify based on your ASVAB scores, education level, or criminal history. So if they tell you that they can't get you what you want, don't automatically assume that they are blowing smoke up your ass.

Your best bet is to go to MEPS with a list of jobs that you would like to do. Keep it realistic though. If you got a 31 on the ASVAB, you are not going to be SF or Intel.  You should have at least 6 or 8 jobs that you would be willing to do if your first choice is not there.

Keep in mind, you can volunteer for SF from any job in the Army. So if you can't get it now, you can always go later.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I would really consider which you prefer, rangers or sf, there's a big difference.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, you can get SF as an initial entry contract now. You can also get ranger option but that only means that you go to RIP after airborne and infantry school. Then you have to spend a couple of years in a Ranger BN befor going to the actual Ranger school. You better be sure that you want to spend the next couple of years under extreme discipline. A Private in Ranger BN is the lowest form of life on the planet. And you WILL be treated as such. But, you'll get to have alot of fun and do some really good training, so it's a trade.

Don't expect to go to MEPS and just write your own ticket. There are only a certain number of SF and Ranger slots available and there simply might not be one for you. Or, you may not qualify based on your ASVAB scores, education level, or criminal history. So if they tell you that they can't get you what you want, don't automatically assume that they are blowing smoke up your ass.

Your best bet is to go to MEPS with a list of jobs that you would like to do. Keep it realistic though. If you got a 31 on the ASVAB, you are not going to be SF or Intel.  You should have at least 6 or 8 jobs that you would be willing to do if your first choice is not there.

Keep in mind, you can volunteer for SF from any job in the Army. So if you can't get it now, you can always go later.

Good luck

Yeah, I realize there are only a limited number of slots and there may not be one available. I don't think there's any way to be sure if they are telling the truth or not if they say there isn't. I've read about people who said "See ya" and walked out and got a call saying that "One just opened up" a couple days later which could be true I suppose. I've also seen people say that if they tell you that it's not available it's the first test of how bad you really want it. Thanks for the advice about being realistic and one can serve with honor wherever one ends up. I definitely have my goal though and considering I could be picking the job I will die in I want to do the most I can to get where I want to be.

I realize the two jobs are vastly different. I have been training for months with the intention of trying for a Ranger slot but just recently started to wonder if Special Forces would be more up my alley. I am under the impression that you are treated more as an adult, so to speak and the missions and training are so much more expansive.

Thanks to all. Any additional tips, words of wisdom, or experiences are appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I am under the impression that you are treated more as an adult, so to speak and the missions and training are so much more expansive.

beause sf soldiers are mostly older and more mature and experienced. Your maturity level should be a factor as you will certainly be around your share of 18 or 19 year old gung ho types in the rangers, sf soldiers are more relaxed.
Myself I've also always thought your better off with experience as a ranger or infantry before being sf.
Also I doubt you'd have any problem with either in a contract with the emphasis they have on special ops in the war on terror.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Their are contracts to get into Marine Recon now with a $10k bonus upon completion of the recon school.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Have you thought about Air Force? Combat Controllers are some badass soldiers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am under the impression that you are treated more as an adult, so to speak and the missions and training are so much more expansive.

beause sf soldiers are mostly older and more mature and experienced. Your maturity level should be a factor as you will certainly be around your share of 18 or 19 year old gung ho types in the rangers, sf soldiers are more relaxed.
Myself I've also always thought your better off with experience as a ranger or infantry before being sf.
Also I doubt you'd have any problem with either in a contract with the emphasis they have on special ops in the war on terror.

Yeah, I'm 23  and a thinker so the idea of working with more mature comrades appeals to me. I have wondered about the going in with no experience issue though.

I've thought about the other branches yes, but kind of focused on the Army.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#14]
When I went to MEPS in April 2004 I couldn't get and Airborne or RIP contract. I took the 18x contract. Currently they're offering 16k with the 11x and 18x contracts for 5yrs.  At the time I got 7k.  Lots of guys will end up quitting but as long as you don't quit you have a good chance at succeeding. I have 2months left of training then I'm going to Group. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Good luck

That right there is the GOLDEN rule!  BTW, are you the same one that registered at ArmyParatrooper.org?  I saw that name before - just curious.  It may be a tad late, but if you are, throw a post up - there are SF and Rangers that will be more than happy to give you the skinny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top