Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 7:23:33 PM EDT
Staat, Tillman's ASU teammate, joins Marines  

NFL.com wire reports

SAN DIEGO (March 13, 2006) -- A former college teammate of Pat Tillman is following in his footsteps, leaving a career in professional football to join the military.

Jeremy Staat was an 11-game starter for the Steelers in 1999.
Jeremy Staat was an 11-game starter for the Steelers in 1999.  
Pfc. Jeremy Staat, a former defensive lineman who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers and the St. Louis Rams, graduated from the San Diego Marine Corps Recruit Depot on March 10.

Enlisting "is probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life," said Staat, 29. Tillman, who played defensive back for the Arizona Cardinals, was killed by friendly fire near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in April 2004.

Staat said he was felt compelled to join the military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks but Tillman, who was his roommate at Arizona State, advised him to stay with professional football until he qualified for retirement benefits.

"He told me, 'You're a good player, you need to get good play.' Then four months later, at his wedding, I learn he's going to the Army," Staat said.

Tillman's death gave him "more motivation" to enlist, Staat said.

Tillman gave up a $1.2 million pro football contract to join the Army Rangers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Outstanding.  

+1

Good to see some Americans still willing to leave a good job to serve their Country.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Ooo-Rah !!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top