Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 10:55:57 PM EDT
I'm deployed right now and just earned the Purple Heart for getting shot, I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of benefits come from it.  So far I've heard that vehicle registration is free, but not sure on what else
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm deployed right now and just earned the Purple Heart for getting shot, I was wondering if anyone knew what sort of benefits come from it.  So far I've heard that vehicle registration is free, but not sure on what else

Being alive is a good benefit!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You get a bump in your veterans preference score for government jobs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Chick dig scars.

Somewhere along the way you get more veterans preference for government jobs.  You used to get preference at the VA for life because you have service or combat related injuries, not sure if you still do.  Some states have special plates for you if you prefer.  My dad had trouble with those pesky Germans and the VA was always nice to him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes living is a good thing.

It depends on what type of injury you have.  For example if you loose a limb or use of a limb.  Then you would get a certain dollar amount per month.  There are different amounts for the type of injury and permanent disability received.  I know there is a .mil webpage that explains this.  I just can not find it now.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you get a 5 point prefrence, but it might be a 10 point pref.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never heard of a person with a purple heart ever get beaten out for an award.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Aches and pains in the affected parts due to weather changes, and extra points on Civil Service exams.

Make sure that you get your disability rating from the VA when you discharge/retire and stay on their ass about it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think you get a 5 point prefrence, but it might be a 10 point pref.  

Different programs have different values.  One preference gives a 10 point for just being in a combat zone, another you have to have the purple heart just to be qualified.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You don't have to pay for drinks in at the bar.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad you are ok.

Thanks for your service.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to this website. http://www.purpleheart.org/

Military Order of the Purple Heart

If you have been combat wounded there is a huge support network out there.  Of course you get "points" for civil service, but all serving veterans get that and frankly, it doesn't amount to much unless you can still fall into the top 2% of those testing in the first place.

The real benefits as I see it are the educational ones.  Many states will pay your full tuition if you have been combat wounded.  Research and ask questions.  

Make sure your DD214 is correct when you get off active duty.  Good luck my fellow warrior!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top