Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:26:52 PM EDT
Just got an 80 on my asvab and I really like the idea of getting into a job like EOD.

Have any information on it? If it was your MOS, did you like it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I was a Combat Engineer for 5 years ish, and still have it as my secondary MOS.  That was fun, the demo part anyway.  But EOD is something entirely different.  The only thing that they do that I don't mind doing is dealing with UXO on a range, and that is only because it's usually just setting up another charge next to it.  That's about as in depth as I'd ever want to go.  Screw that messing with other people's bombs nonsense.  I actually did think about trying for EOD though, but decided to become an Infantryman again instead.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just make sure you graduate.
Big difference between EOD and ammo handler.

Sappers/CE are in no way ammo handlers we blow in places...
EOD on the oher had are thee ones that try to disarm...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's referring to the fact that if you don't pass EOD school you end up as an 89B since you have to go to that school first if you are not a reclass.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
sorry army EOD.
Marine side.  The pre are E-3 first and then anyone is open for EOD if you can pass the school...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I loved it when I was in but the job has changed a lot since I was in.  The EOD techs in Iraq handle more IED's in a month than I handled in a 21 year career (18 in EOD).  Someone with more current service might give better advice.  

See the link for the Naval EOD School web site.  All EOD techs are trained at the Navy EOD School in Eglin AFB, Florida.

US Naval School Explosive Ordnance Disposal

I have the url for an EOD oriented web site at work.  I'll post it for you tomorrow.

Edited to add:

Here is the EOD oriented web site I spoke of yesterday.

Frag Web
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:11:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been an 89d (EOD)for 6 years I love it. Best job in the army in my opinion I am over here in iraq right now yeah we do alot of work our equipment is top line everyone leaves us alone. As an E-6 I only have to answer to a brigade commander so I pretty much run the show weather its an IED or UXO, school is hard and it's meant to be thats what keeps us from having to work with people who don't realy want this job most of our duty assignments are chill we get to go just about anywhere. We are probably the only NCO's in the army who get to draw explosives go out in to the civilian populace both stateside and abroad blow something up and not have to ask for permission or explain it until were done. If your in a line company you get to go on secret service missions all over the place and all sorts of other crazy ass mission. Getting a civilian clothing allowance and an extra 150 a month just for holding and MOS an doing a job isn't bad Either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have been an 89d (EOD)for 6 years I love it.

pbaeod,

I'd heard that the Army changed the MOS number for EOD from 55D.  When did they make the change?

Stay safe!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

8 1/2 years as a combat engineer, you would think I know that.

That has changed somewhat, there is a program now called Explosive Ordnance Clearance Agent that takes 21B's and runs them through a fast paced mini-EOD school, then lets them do a limited amount of EOD tasks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top