Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2004 11:17:40 PM EDT
Since the awb ended is there any laws that allow military/leo's to own certain firearms or parts that a civilian couldn't.  For example, could I buy a pistol at 18 instead of 21 since I'm going into the service.  Or has those perks ended with the ban.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
No and there were no perks for off duty military during the ban either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No and there were no perks for off duty military during the ban either.

I thought there was at least the option of buying a collapsable stock or like parts during the ban.  Was that only for leo's?
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Since the awb ended is there any laws that allow military/leo's to own certain firearms or parts that a civilian couldn't.  For example, could I buy a pistol at 18 instead of 21 since I'm going into the service.  Or has those perks ended with the ban.

Army regulations concerning privately owned weapons specifically state that you must abide by federal, and any state or local laws in the area that you're stationed at.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are reading the little print that says "LEO/MILITARY use only", that means in a professional atmosphere, i.e. at work, not on your home guns. Still gotta abide all normal laws for the at home guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got another question I can't find the answer for.  If I were to get my dad to buy pistols for me and when I get stationed probably in san diego would I be able to take them with me.  I am 18 right now and want to take my guns with me when I get stationed.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Best bet is to inquire about local laws where ever you get stationed. I am not a lawyer, so don't quote me, but very few places like/let persons under 21 have handguns. Military bases (at least stateside) will most often reflect local laws. UCMJ always takes precedence, but the base will take local laws and make sure they are enforced on base as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got another question I can't find the answer for.  If I were to get my dad to buy pistols for me and when I get stationed probably in san diego would I be able to take them with me.  I am 18 right now and want to take my guns with me when I get stationed.

I would  advise against your dad buying you firearms directly. I believe that  most jurisdictions require that the buyer of a firearm sign some sort of affidavit stating that the firearm purchased is for the buyer and not someone else. i.e.  someone underage  or a convicted felon etc...   You would be subjecting your father and yourself to some sort of prosecution if  I am correct and something went wrong.  If your father bought a firearm and let you "borrow" it, you still may have a problem if California does not allow someone under 21 to possess a handgun. In any event, NEVER state to anyone that your father bought the firearm directly for you.  [5th Ammendment is just as important as the 2nd in this case.]

I think Lapp_Dance has given you good advise.  I would contact an attorney that is familiar with local and fed. law on this subject before I brought any non-GI issued handguns into CA.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Someone stated that military regs follow state law. Does that mean that my AR can't go with me to CA or NY or anyplace that has a state AWB?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys I'll just hold off until I do get stationed and find out what the laws are before I buy anymore firearms.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Im moving to San Diego soon....bye bye AR
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The PRK has very tough guns laws and virtually no CCW's issued to "average" folks. I became the proud owner of my step's guns once he decided that a beach bum's life was for him. They have since been transferred to his brother, a happy CT CCW holder.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you are still on active duty, being transfered to a base in CA, you can get a permit from the DOJ to bring in your AR. Contact Paul. He brought in several. All legally, and seemd to have no problem getting the permit.

As far as handguns go, it is legal to own and posses a handgun, and handgun ammo, in CA if you are 18 or older. BUT, you cannot purchase a handgun, or purchase handgun ammo until you are 21.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are still on active duty, being transfered to a base in CA, you can get a permit from the DOJ to bring in your AR. Contact Paul. He brought in several. All legally, and seemd to have no problem getting the permit.

As far as handguns go, it is legal to own and posses a handgun, and handgun ammo, in CA if you are 18 or older. BUT, you cannot purchase a handgun, or purchase handgun ammo until you are 21.

Awesome, thanks for the info Pthfndr.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#15]
speeking of gun laws... I'm 17, i am in the USMC. i can carry a rifle in defence of my country, however i cannot carry anything for my own defence. wtf is up with that?

(and yes, when i get out of basic, i'll still be 17, and if i chose to go through all 3 bootcamps at the same time instead of 92k, i would qualify to ship when i'm 17.)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
speeking of gun laws... I'm 17, i am in the USMC. i can carry a rifle in defence of my country, however i cannot carry anything for my own defence. wtf is up with that?

(and yes, when i get out of basic, i'll still be 17, and if i chose to go through all 3 bootcamps at the same time instead of 92k, i would qualify to ship when i'm 17.)

Well, I'm 22 and in the Army.  I can carry all kinds of shit in defence of my country, that I probably can't have either.

So what... get used to it.  No special privs because you're in the military.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#17]
There are some somewhat obscure local laws that ease specific firearms restrictions for service members in some places. Check your local laws and you might get lucky. I don’t think there is anything on the Fed level.

Sorry I can’t be more specific, but I came across one of two of them a while back and don’t have a link. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top