Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 2:38:30 PM EDT
Guys, I am not a vet, but I need some opinions from guys with experience.  I am taking a two day carbine class next weekend, and I need do not yet have a drop leg holster for my 1911.  Part of this class deals with rifle to pistol transitions, I would like to have decent equipment for this purpose.

Which ones are the best?  Advantages and disadvantages?  My buddy who just came back from Iraq used a Safariland 6004 for his issue M9, the retention arrangement is slick and very fast, but he didn't like the rigid nature of the rig, he thought it made it kind of uncomfortable in certain situations.  I played with it and loved the ability to draw right NOW!

What do the real deal guys recommend?  And where is a good place on the net to order from?  I need it here before next weekend.

Thanks in advance guys!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Tactical Tailor nylon piece, custom made for my USP w/ light. I asked for it to be made fast and it was made overnight. Thumbreak with a mag pouch on one side. Everything fits fine, and its strong. They are American made, in Lakewood WA, while Blackhawk is make in the Peoples Republic of Vietnam.

ETA: there is a tactical gear forum, I think its on the armory board.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
SOE makes a mean holster. I hate to say it, but you may be starting a little late to get a holster from anyone except Blackhawk before next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Safariland 6004 for shoots.  I have found it very comfortable and reholstering is the best I have used.  I will be getting additional 6004s for my other pistol models.  Highly recommend the 6004.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use a Safariland 6004 for shoots.  I have found it very comfortable and reholstering is the best I have used.  I will be getting additional 6004s for my other pistol models.  Highly recommend the 6004.

+1 on the 6004.  I've got 3 of them.

Rob
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a SOE drop leg for a few years now and it 's the heat. used it for a 3 day carbine class this year and worked as well as all the SLS6004 holsters. My $.02 their a good holster but to specialized for me personally. I like a Thumbreak and the SOE Holster is more comfortable to wear for longer periods of time and has no rigid plastic frame to dig into your leg. I would say try both out if ya ccan and pick the one you like. but I think ya waited a Tad bit to long. Give Brad a call at  www.lightfighter.com and see if he can hook ya up .
or worse case scenario due to time, pick up a Uncle Mikes or a Fobus Kydex belt holster for about $20 to get ya thru the class and then take you time and pick out what ya really want.  Again, just my $.02 good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I like my 6004 for shoots. But I like my London Bridge Trading Company Nylon even better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I talked to my vet buddy, his gripes with the 6004 where:

1.  Rigid and sticks out too far.  Always catching on shit, especially mounting/dismounting vehicles.

2.  Due to the above, the hard plate always digs into your leg and chafes the crap out of you.

Lightfighter did not have anything in stock other than in Black.  

I called Blackhawk, and ordered an Omega VI.  It arrived today, and with the money I saved over the 6004, I also was able to afford a set of kneepads for my crummy knees!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Oops, too late...  another vote for the 6004.  Either it, or the G-Code SOC.

I learned my lesson about nylon holsters last summer.  No retention, if the thumb break comes unsnapped the pistol is gone.  Didn't happen to me, but a good friend...and Pat Rogers found his lost pistol.  Not a good thing.  I promptly ordered a 6004 and trashed my Eagle SAS-MkIII.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Eagle Dropleg for a 1911 and would recommend it to anyone
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
another +1 for the 6004
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#12]
If your just going to wear it to the range and may be a few classes than the 6004 is hard to beat.  However try wearing it every day any time your awake.  The shroud gets old fast, and one thing you will see guys with them do is undo the leg straps, so it doesn't bother them as much.   They do make a shroud version that might be a good compromise.  

Retention issues can exist with any holsters, I know of atleast a couple of 6004s that the retention strap broke on.  If that happens your pistol can fall out just as easy if not easier than a soft holster.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I did some dry fire transition drills today.  The Blackhawk seems GTG so far.  The thumbreak has an extra strap with velcro to secure the weapon in addition to the thumb snap, if desired.  Very adjustable and more comfy on the leg than the 6004.  So many people recomend the 6004, but even when I tried my buds and dry fired from it, I thought the plate would cause comfort issues if worn long term, and once in the sandbox he agreed.  The BH seems well made.  I know they are made in Vietnam, but I think American dollars may eventually win what we couldn't in that particular country anyway.  I didn't have any drawstroke issues, but I spent a lot of time over the years practicing drawing from a SOB holster with a thumbreak and I have the motion down fairly well already.  And the service from BH was excellent.  They also sent along a free catalog, which on the website shows going for $5.  I didn't expect that, so that was nice.

The meat of the test will be the class we are doing this weekend.

My patrol sling is the issue now.  When I drop my primary weapon to transition to pistol, it hangs more horizontally than vertically which puts the butt of the rifle right in the path of my normal drawstroke.  I have to swing up and around the butt of the rifle to the sight picture.  It helps to hold the primary weapon off to my left with my left hand and then let go when I bring my hands together as I come on target.  This to me is no good for performance under stress, too many movements.

I changed from an over the shoulder sling position to around the neck, and that results in the weapon dropping more vertically.  But the sling around the back of the neck sucks, it's only 1" nylon.  How about some recommendations on slings?  I am using an old Boonie Packer I think it's called, with a soft nylon ring around the handuards.  The front sling is attached to this loop, the rear to the top sling loop on the telestock.  I have avoided the sling issue because I do not have access to a lot of examples to lay my hands on, and there are too many damn options.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If your just going to wear it to the range and may be a few classes than the 6004 is hard to beat.  However try wearing it every day any time your awake.  The shroud gets old fast, and one thing you will see guys with them do is undo the leg straps, so it doesn't bother them as much.   They do make a shroud version that might be a good compromise.  

Retention issues can exist with any holsters, I know of atleast a couple of 6004s that the retention strap broke on.  If that happens your pistol can fall out just as easy if not easier than a soft holster.

I think it's just a personal preference issue.  I have worn 6004s for long periods.  The secret seems to be getting the leg straps adjusted just right.  I wouldn't want to hump a long distance with one, but I wouldn't want to hump with ANYTHING strapped around my thigh.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My patrol sling is the issue now.  When I drop my primary weapon to transition to pistol, it hangs more horizontally than vertically which puts the butt of the rifle right in the path of my normal drawstroke.  I have to swing up and around the butt of the rifle to the sight picture.  It helps to hold the primary weapon off to my left with my left hand and then let go when I bring my hands together as I come on target.  This to me is no good for performance under stress, too many movements.

I changed from an over the shoulder sling position to around the neck, and that results in the weapon dropping more vertically.  But the sling around the back of the neck sucks, it's only 1" nylon.  How about some recommendations on slings?  I am using an old Boonie Packer I think it's called, with a soft nylon ring around the handuards.  The front sling is attached to this loop, the rear to the top sling loop on the telestock.  I have avoided the sling issue because I do not have access to a lot of examples to lay my hands on, and there are too many damn options.  

First off, I'm not an expert or anything, but I have tried a few different sling types and set ups.

I take it your using a 3 point sling. If you want it to stay out of the way, put your left arm and head thru your sling. It will ride on your right shoulder. You can even push it towads your right hip to get it even further out of the way to clear mags, etc.

Try adjusting it. The section that rides along your rifle should be tight. I've had the same problem if it isn't tight.

If you want it the other way with it riding it on your left shoulder try this. When you transition to your secondary weapon, part of your draw is to sweep your primary weapon behind your hip on your right side. Then drop your had down to your holster.

If all else fails, make your own sling. I did and I like it alot. Use tubular webbing, it's softer. Do your have a receiver sling mount? With an AR it's definatly the way to go. Let me know if this helps you any.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top