Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2004 7:43:05 AM EDT
Hey,

has anybody pictures showing army special forces (green berets) helicopter door gunners in vietnam, or does anybody know a site where I can find some?

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
An 18 Series Doorgunner ? New one to me. If someone had a photo, how could you tell ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for some pics or some infos because my uncle served in the 101st airborne and later in the 10th special forces airborne (aka green berets) in vietnam and did mainly jobs as a machine gunner from a helicopter.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It's entirely possible that your uncle was a door gunner for a unit that supported the 10th SF
Group. During prolonged conflicts, some units get a good working relationship going with each other and don't want to break it up. Given the specific needs of the SF units for their avation operations, it's likley that they used the same avation units over and over again.

Quoted:
I'm looking for some pics or some infos because my uncle served in the 101st airborne and later in the 10th special forces airborne (aka green berets) in vietnam and did mainly jobs as a machine gunner from a helicopter.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah can be.

He first served in the 101st, basic training and airborne school and so on. But I don't know if he did jobs as a door gunner in the 101st or in the 10th special forces. He was 10-15 years or even longer in the army most of the time in the 10th special forces, which was stationed in germany. In germany he did not longer work as a door gunner, but as a normal green beret.
I just heard the stories that he was shooting randomly in the jungle. And stories about halo(?) training missions with water impact.

I have to ask him, when I meet him next time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]
This sheds a little light on the subject, but not much. As Lightning_P38 pointed out, door gunners were usually avation crew chiefs or infantry troops assigned the duty. It sounds like your uncle started out in the 101 ABN, did a tour in Vietnam, and then went into SF.

Quoted:
Yeah can be.

He first served in the 101st, basic training and airborne school and so on. But I don't know if he did jobs as a door gunner in the 101st or in the 10th special forces. He was 10-15 years or even longer in the army most of the time in the 10th special forces, which was stationed in germany. In germany he did not longer work as a door gunner, but as a normal green beret.
I just heard the stories that he was shooting randomly in the jungle. And stories about halo(?) training missions with water impact.

I have to ask him, when I meet him next time.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Greg,

As stated your uncle more then likely served as a door gunner with the 101st.  10th Group didn't deploy to Vietnam to my knowledge but could have been attached to the 5th SFG(A) there.  I've been taught may times how to take over the guns in case the door gunner goes down but never accutally served there.  Here in Iraq the designed aircrews man the guns and we just fly for the ride.  During Somalie campain we did have snipers up in the Blackhawks engaging enemy targets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top