Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2020 12:20:18 AM EDT
I haven't posted here before but just needed to get something off of my chest.

I recently had to tell a wife that her husband wasn't coming home from a deployment. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. You've seen the movies where the guys in uniform ring the doorbell and tell the wife her husband is dead. I couldn't help but think that she's going to see my face for the rest of her life knowing I told her the news. it sucks, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

At any rate. I'm good, not thinking about hurting myself or anyone else, just needed to get it out. Just typing it made it less painful.

Thanks for all that all here do and have done. I am truly humbled to be in the company of such heroes.

Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sorry.    We lost three guys in our guys in our squadron and two of the three were married.  One had a daughter.  Every Memorial Day gets harder thinking about their families going on without them.

Bu as hard as that duty was, thank you for doing it.   Even though they were hurting, I am pretty sure that they saw that you were too.   They won't forget the shock but they also will remember the compassion and the kindness.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I never enjoyed CAO/CNO courses and if I could have avoided them I would have.

I got the call one day to give a notification but I was on TDY out of state... that alone made for a somber day. Can't imagine how you feel afterwards OP and I hope that the assistance they claim is available to CNO's is there if/when you need it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
We lost our 1SG a few days after Christmas in ‘05. His son was just a few days old.

15 years later she is remarried to a good dude and the boy is growing up strong and seems to be doing well. They will be ok, but it won’t ever stop hurting. It just gets easier.

You do the duty because you can take it. Because it would destroy others. You’re doing the right thing. Chin up!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. Chin's up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#7]
toughest job in the world. but, it needed doing--and you were the man.

you had the courage and compassion.

thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top