Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:26:49 PM EDT
I have seen the ones on the internet, but I am trying to put together a new book and I am wondering if anyone is willing to share what they put together.  I would also like ideas to make it look sharp, the BDE CSM is really big on this and doing on the spot inspections.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
what will the book be used for?

tactical: call for fire, 9lines, SOI

personnel: weapon SN, phone numbers, email and physical address

i like the rite in the rain note books and use it for about everything that and a ranger handbook should be all you ever need
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

i like the rite in the rain note books and use it for about everything that and a ranger handbook should be all you ever need

All my soldiers information....

-Uniforms sizes
-wifes name, kids etc....
-birthdays
-is the SOA preggers
-Are they in college

––Status of NCOERs and counseling
-NCOES dates an other school dates and types
-APFT scores, weapon scores, dates etc
-NCO creed.....

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A leader's book is for tracking: soldier data, training, apft, weapons qual, counseling and ncoer info, ncoes dates, etc.

I am a NCOIC of a S-3 shop.  All of my subordinates are NCOs.  I will need to track schools and NCOER info.   I will also need to track WTT and Mandatory annual training.
161Infantry has the idea of what I am looking for.  Did you build something using excel?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
If you log on to the BCKS NCO Net site(or Leadernet––I forgot which), you'll find a few decent examples.  

When I was a section chief(a long time ago), I used to carry around basic info laminated into a green book.  I've never been a huge fan of the crazy huge books that some people want to carry.  For my purposes––fuck all the cheese dick things that your CSM may like, I am a pure nuts and bolts type of person.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If you log on to the BCKS NCO Net site(or Leadernet––I forgot which), you'll find a few decent examples.  

When I was a section chief(a long time ago), I used to carry around basic info laminated into a green book.  I've never been a huge fan of the crazy huge books that some people want to carry.  For my purposes––fuck all the cheese dick things that your CSM may like, I am a pure nuts and bolts type of person.

I am not planning on it being over huge binder.  I only have 4 NCOs I am tracking.  

I am not really concerned with fancy art on the pages and all that.  It is all about content.  I am looking for ideas to best organize the data, and recommendations on how to keep it in a format that would be easy to carry around.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Best leader's book I saw was in one of these:

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=9200&Category=fb794d29-bd12-4367-918d-cb0eefe2dd35

It was not some giant ass thing you couldn't carry.  It would fit in a cargo pocket.  It had all the info and it was just shit hot.  All the pages were laminated.  NCO Creed, Soldier Data and sorts of other stuff.  It was slick.  Some people had giant white binders that were just cumbersome.  I thought that was the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Best leader's book I saw was in one of these:

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=9200&Category=fb794d29-bd12-4367-918d-cb0eefe2dd35

It was not some giant ass thing you couldn't carry.  It would fit in a cargo pocket.  It had all the info and it was just shit hot.  All the pages were laminated.  NCO Creed, Soldier Data and sorts of other stuff.  It was slick.

thanks for the link

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

-Uniforms sizes
-birthdays
-is the SOA preggers
-Are they in college

-NCO creed.....

Sounds more like a personnel data sheet rather than a complete leaders book. I can send you both my two page Word version I used to track that sort of thing as well as the Excell one page form I used as a laminated sheet I'd carry in the field..
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

A leader's book is for tracking: soldier data, training, apft, weapons qual, counseling and ncoer info, ncoes dates, etc.

I am a NCOIC of a S-3 shop.  All of my subordinates are NCOs.  I will need to track schools and NCOER info.   I will also need to track WTT and Mandatory annual training.

161Infantry has the idea of what I am looking for.  Did you build something using excel?

are you only tracking 4 people or are you the S3 tracking a company or BN? it sounds like youre trying to take a company training matrix and condense it down into a handheld book.

if you only have 4 subordinates i question the need to track all of that information. sounds like youve got some good idea fairy CSM breathing down your neck asking for bullshit.

i think youre trying to reinvent the wheel. but good luck. maybe i just dont understand what youre getting at.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Uniforms sizes

-birthdays

-is the SOA preggers

-Are they in college

-NCO creed.....

Sounds more like a personnel data sheet rather than a complete leaders book. I can send you both my two page Word version I used to track that sort of thing as well as the Excell one page form I used as a laminated sheet I'd carry in the field..
I would appreciate anything you send.

Top Top