Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 4:54:26 PM EDT
Well, it does! That is all.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
What? All I did on Rear D was take naps....aaalllll day long.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They couldn't pay me enough to be rear-d.  Having to deal with all the problem children, chapter cases, broke dicks, shitbags, and wives all in one little compressed company sized package???  I'd drop my retirement paperwork if they made me rear-d.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Know what rocks?

Rear party in Kuwait!     20 days of basically paid vacation waiting for our crates to ship, got home and took 30 days of post deployment leave while everyone else had got back from theirs, and was doing post deployment fuck-fuck games.  

Got back right as the training cycle started!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I always thought the Rear-D guys were pogues while I was deployed ... Until I spent a few months as Rear-D SGM for a deployed battalion (while in 101st).  

OMFG!!

I had to deal with all the shitbags in the unit:  the ones who pissed hot and were being chaptered ... the pregnant who wanted out of the Army ... two AWOLs and one deserter ... Then there was prepping the new Soldiers for onward movement into the theater and receiving those returning from theater for PCS or ETS.  There were barracks buildings to renovate (and civilian workers to supervise ... over Christmas break) ... OH YEAH, there was the endless phone calls from spouses who were pissed off because of pay problems, or because they didn't get regular calls from their deployed partner ... or because of an indescrete email or letter they discovered from another "party.  And hosting weekly Family Support Group meetings.

There was the spouse who's baby was taken into Child Protective Services, because mom was busted in a crack-house ... Jumping through hoops to get the returning Soldier on-post housing in order to gain his baby back and move on post (just to have him get his wife out of jail and move her in).  There was the young Soldier busted commiting a crime, who's defense was to accuse me of racism because of our differing skin colors (which was ironic, because I had recommended her promotion to Sergeant a year earlier when she was charging hard).

Near-daily meetings with the Garrison and Post staff, as well as making arrangements for the return and reception of the battalion frm deployment.  Guard duty scheduling, and rotating Rear-D troops through local/regional funeral details.  There were a few casualty (WIA) notifications (and I'm damned greatful not to have had to make any notifications of KIA to next of kin).

Supervising narly 230 Rear-D troops was like herding cats ... Seemed as though most of those back in the rear assumed that they were "off duty" ... I ended up holding four accountability formations per day to keep many of them from scattering (put them all to work cleaning and renovating the battalion barracks ... by God, if their brothers and sisters overseas were working their asses off, so would we).

In the end, the battalion returned safely and we recovered them and their equipment. I commented to a few of the returning First Sergeants that they had had it easy ... They only had to deal with RPG, IED and mortar/rocket attacks ... I had to deal with their wives!  They pretty much agreed.

Good luck with the Rear-D duty ... it really does suck, but needs to be done.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got to my unit (702nd BSB, 4-2 IND). The unit just got back from Iraq. Lots of shit bags, a few pragos.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I think it would be sweet.  Walking again all badass, making privates call you 1SG and shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top