Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:11:40 PM EDT
So I have the chapter 30 Gi bill right now and was looking at changing it over to the chapter 33. I was told by another guy who just go out of the USAF that the Chapter 33 sends the money to the school you are going to and places only the BAH in your checking account. Looked at the VA web site could not find anything about this.  I'm trying to find this out because I enlisted in a state that gives vets free schooling anyway and I would not want to send the school I'm going to a check each month from the GOV for an extra $1300 or so.

Just trying to find out if it is true that the check for the $1,300 is sent to your school and only the BAH is sent to you! Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:33:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Im using chapter 33 currently and the BAH is sent to my bank and the school is paid directly. not sure how it works if you already are getting tuition paid. you can always call the 800 gi bill number they may have some better info.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im using chapter 33 currently and the BAH is sent to my bank and the school is paid directly. not sure how it works if you already are getting tuition paid. you can always call the 800 gi bill number they may have some better info.

Thanks I might have to do that! Hope school is doing well for you!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
No problem. Its great going the Pilot route its paying for all of that, its great. may also want to call the school and ask if they have a veterans section if you collect the money if they refund through the school or how it works.

good luck fall terms backing up the VA right now so call early.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
First post.... I actually work in financial aid for a school, if you're using the ch. 30 currently, and want to switch to Ch 33 you can, but as was explained, the tuition money is sent directly to the school, BAH is what's sent to you. One option you may have if your state pays for the tuition because you're a vet...Would be to stay with chapter 30 and pocket it each month, (which should be more than the BAH benefit alone) This is just a suggestion though, because each school is different in regards to awarding up to the "cost of attendance". Also, just so you know, once you switch to Ch. 33, you cannot switch to back to Ch 30...and depending on how many months you've used in Ch. 30 will dictate how many months you have left in 33. You can usually get an additional 12 months of 33 once you exhaust your Chapter 30.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First post.... I actually work in financial aid for a school, if you're using the ch. 30 currently, and want to switch to Ch 33 you can, but as was explained, the tuition money is sent directly to the school, BAH is what's sent to you. One option you may have if your state pays for the tuition because you're a vet...Would be to stay with chapter 30 and pocket it each month, (which should be more than the BAH benefit alone) This is just a suggestion though, because each school is different in regards to awarding up to the "cost of attendance". Also, just so you know, once you switch to Ch. 33, you cannot switch to back to Ch 30...and depending on how many months you've used in Ch. 30 will dictate how many months you have left in 33. You can usually get an additional 12 months of 33 once you exhaust your Chapter 30.  

Hope this helps.

Helps a lot thanks I'm going to stick with the Chapter 30. The BAH I'll be getting is a lot less then the GI bill that I'm getting now.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad to help!!! Let me know if you have any other questions...Also, make sure that you fill out the FAFSA application. DON'T let them talk you into taking out loans if you don't want them, but you can get up to $5,550 in Federal Pell Grant as well...(depending on household size, income, ect)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top