Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 5:00:43 AM EDT
I posted this question in another forum, but got no response.

I'm thinking of changing my 870 Police synthetic stocks over to SpeedFeed I stocks (the one with shellholders in the stock).

Does anyone use them / like them?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if this helps you out but my Wilson Combat/Scattergun Tech K9(Rem.1187) came with the SpeedFeed Stock that is shortened by about 1" but doesn't have the shell holders. I like it as it shoulders fairly quick and works well with body armor on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
We have them on several older shotguns, but they are useless since we switched to 3" magnums, which apparently don't work with these.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one on a personal shotgun.  It looked trick...right up until I noticed that the thing was slightly crushing the shells under the spring tension.  I also dropped way too many shells when they popped out of the slots, again under spring tension.  

I continued to use the stock, but I used a stock pouch with loops, and later a receiver saddle and belt pouch for reloads.

For tactical reloads, a receiver side saddle is best, followed by a stock pouch on the stock, kept on the shooter's strong side;  right side for a right-handed shooter.  The speedFeed stock with the internal shell holders sucks for tactical reloads.

Now if you are only looking at them as a shotgun stock, not for their ability to store spare rounds, they're about average.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps I should have mentioned that mine was one of the first ones.  Are they better now?  If I recall correctly, it was a pain in the butt to do a tactical reload with the shotgun still shouldered.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've noticed that some of the SpeedFeed pictures show the shellholders on the top of the stock, and some show them on the bottom of the stock.  

I received several emails off the board and have decided not to go with this setup.  I instead ordered a Scattergun Tech. Short Stock which I understand is much better with body armor and quicker to get on target.

Thanks to all that responded.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
PPD,

Just for info, one side of the stock had the shells on the side at the top and at the bottom on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Dave.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
We have them. Probably won't buy more. There are issues relating to shell damage (over time & shooting with them loaded) and length as it is difficult to cut the stocks down.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Speedfeed stock on my Mossberg M590A1 and, IMHO it is alright, but not as good, reliable, user friendly, as a TacStar side saddle, which I have on my 500 Persuader.  

Cloak-
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
We have sidesaddles on our 870's and they work fine, but the local sheriff's dept uses the speedfeeds and they have nothing but problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Just purchased Tactical IV model. I've never liked the idea of shells in the stock. Installed Tac-Star side saddle and love it! Pistol grip stock shoulders quickly and smoothly. Remember to use a short forearm with the 6 round saddle. Gun will not function properly with field/sport foerarm. I also recommend the Federal Tactical buckshot loads, they create good patterns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top