Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2002 2:43:31 PM EDT
This has always interested me. Anybody have some info on where to get started? Or should I just go down to my local station for that?
What should I expect to be required? Any other pointers or info?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You answered the question.  If can't catch them at station, research who Chief is and give him a call.  Local police or dispatch center should be able to advise you.

Presume PA. still has strong volunteer climate as in past.  Shouldn't be too difficult.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
most small departments that rely on vols. are always interested in new members. While the by-laws of the dept. regulate the number of active members, they have fireman reserves.The main difference is the reserves do not get to vote in meetings.
there are also courses in the states that teach firefighting to volunteers. It cost money, but most of the time the department, county, city or local insurance agencys will help foot the bill. There is also training officers in the local departments that can train to help you get certification.
You will be welcomed on any department worth being a member of, just remember the benefits are self pride and being a part of your community. Just be prepared to start at the bottom, work odd hours, andnnot too much support from the citizens at large, but it is worth it....fullclip
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
most small departments that rely on vols. are always interested in new members. While the by-laws of the dept. regulate the number of active members, they have fireman reserves.The main difference is the reserves do not get to vote in meetings.
there are also courses in the states that teach firefighting to volunteers. It cost money, but most of the time the department, county, city or local insurance agencys will help foot the bill. There is also training officers in the local departments that can train to help you get certification.
You will be welcomed on any department worth being a member of, just remember the benefits are self pride and being a part of your community. Just be prepared to start at the bottom, work odd hours, andnnot too much support from the citizens at large, but it is worth it....fullclip
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I just started as a volunteer in August.  Most departments are always looking for people willing to help.
In most places, you'll get free training, gear, uniforms, and a bunch of good guys who will help you with anything.
We meet at the firehouse every Monday for a meeting or drill or just chores, I'm sure most dept's have a similar weekly/monthly routine.  If they don't have a sign, Give them a call, or call 800-FIRE-LINE to find out what to do.
And feel free to email/PM me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I was a PA volunteer fireman for 12 years.  Go down to the station and ask.  You'll have to attend fire school before you can do any fire fighting, but the cost of that is unlikely to come entirely from your pocket. Be aware that being an active member can be pretty time consuming and that in most departments fund raising occupies as much or more time as everything else put together.  Be prepared to sell raffle tickets, work at pancake feeds, and all the other things departments do to fund themselves.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been a volunteer for 10 years and get a lot of satisfaction from it. Call the Chief in your area and get the information you need. There is almost always a need. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to the brotherhood

You are about to vol. for the best job on earth,in my opinon
Take learning slow dont get in a hurry just learn what you can when you can.Being the training officer at my dept.It will be a some time before you "go in"so be willing to work hard learn alot and train alot.

P.S. DONT BE A WOODCHUCK  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I signed on here in Oregon in November and was voted in December. It is fun (had a fire call yesterday) and very rewarding to serve the community. I have a lot of wildland fire experience but don't know much about structures. I have already attended Firefighter 1 part A and will attend the second part next weekend. We will also have a burn-to-learn this weekend. All training is paid for (tonight we learn about incident organization). While serving with the dept we get $6.50/hr.

I really enjoy it,

Karl
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
What's a woodchuck?

(Or am I one for asking? [:)])
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#10]
A woodchuck is some one who always runs his/hers lights and siren on there  personal owned vech.-P.O.V.to a call.With out due regard for the public and there selves.Basicly a rookie,some one who is gung-ho,out to save the world.That kind of thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top