Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 5:01:55 AM EDT
Fla. police officer, suspect killed in shooting
AP
Posted: 2008-07-18 08:24:53
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - Florida authorities say a police officer and a suspect were shot and killed after police responded to a disturbance call.

Lee County Sheriff's Office spokesman Larry King says there was an exchange of gunfire around 2 a.m. Friday in downtown Fort Myers.

The names of the officer and suspect have not been released. It was not immediately known what prompted the disturbance call or if the armed suspect was alone.

Several downtown streets were blocked off as detectives investigated.

The officer was a former missionary in his 30s and had been with the police department for about a year. He was married with three children.

City Councilman Johnny Streets, a retired law enforcement officer, told the Fort Myers News-Press that the last time the city lost an officer to a shooting was in 1924.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Public safety is having a bad bad year........  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple of updates:

The officer is identified as Andrew Widman.  He was 30 years old.  The shooter was not identified but was also killed on scene.

More info can be found here:  News Press
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]

My prayers go out to his family and brother officers.

Rest in Peace Brother
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Prayers sent for the wife and kids.....
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Man its always sad to hear about these.  I'm glad the dirt bag got what he deserved.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Public safety is having a bad bad year........  

actually, last i heard deaths are way down
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Rest in Peace my brother....
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Just came out on NCIC. Shot in the face without a chance. Leaves behind a wife and 3 kids and been on duty a little more than a year.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.fmpolice.com/tabid/54/itemid/92/0718-Fort-Myers-Police-Officer-Killed-in-the-Lin.aspx

( July 18, 2008: Fort Myers, FL ) - With great sadness the Fort Myers Police Department announces the death of Officer Andrew Widman (d.o.b. 5-11-78) who was shot killed in the line of duty this morning.

Just before 2:00 a.m. Officer Widman was patrolling the downtown area as the nightclubs began to close. Officer Widman encountered a domestic disturbance between a man and his girlfriend. Witnesses who saw the domestic dispute say the man became enraged and threats were made to responding officers. Moments later he shot Officer Widman at close range in the face. Officer Widman never drew his weapon.

Several other officers began to chase the perpetrator as he fled the scene. According to witnesses the perpetrator was actively shooting at the officers. The officers were forced to take cover and return fire. The perpetrator died on scene.

The Fort Myers Police Department is conducting an investigation that will be turned over to the Office of the State Attorney. Per policy officer involved shootings require officers to be placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. The officers placed on leave are: Officer Alain Gagnon, Officer B.J. Ades, Officer Wolfgang Daniel and Officer Mike Perry.

Officer Widman was hired April 12, 2007. He leaves behind a wife and three children. The family requested the media respect their privacy during this difficult time.

*The perpetrator’s name will be released upon official notification of next of kin.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:26:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
RIP Brother
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Andrew and I had gone to the acadamy together and i'm glad that I could call him a friend.  It is a comfort to see that people from all over care for him and his family.  Try to imagine the smartest, most caring and dedicated person you know, and that would be Andrew.  i know those statements have been used before but he is truly this person.  He will always be a better man, father, and cop that I could ever hope to become and could strive to be.

Just wanted to say a little about him.  Be safe.

T
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Andrew and I had gone to the acadamy together and i'm glad that I could call him a friend.  It is a comfort to see that people from all over care for him and his family.  Try to imagine the smartest, most caring and dedicated person you know, and that would be Andrew.  i know those statements have been used before but he is truly this person.  He will always be a better man, father, and cop that I could ever hope to become and could strive to be.

Just wanted to say a little about him.  Be safe.

T

Sorry to hear about your friend. May he rest in peace, and may he always be remembered.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]
It always sucks to hear about a fellow officer, but when you know them it is even harder.  We all know the dangers, but when it happens it's tough to deal with.  The best we can do is to learn from them and carry on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top