Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2007 4:40:42 PM EDT
I'll update this as news come in.

Currently: Have permission from my college to conduct a internship with a local PD, minimum 120 hours for 3 credits for the Spring 08 semester.

However... the PD only does maximum of 40 hour internships. My contact is trying to negotiate a higher amount.

She also recommended in splitting the difference between the PD and the Prosecutors office. Which might work.. I have a friend who works for the PO, I might try to make up the difference by working with him.

The other alternative is splitting the hours between the local PD and my universities PD. At the university, they allow 8 hour shifts and night hours.

Reason I didn't go with the U-PD at first is because I commute.. and I'd like to have done something a little closer.

Hopefully things will work out.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
How in the heck do they do a one week internship?

I think ours are 12, 40-hour weeks (or it could be only 6 weeks, I can't remember how long these guys stick around)

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How in the heck do they do a one week internship?

I think ours are 12, 40-hour weeks (or it could be only 6 weeks, I can't remember how long these guys stick around)

They don't.

Its generally 2-4 hours a week, for 10-14 weeks.

40 hour weeks is high.

Even when I did the NJSP over the summer, I was only doing 16 hour weeks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well ours get something like a whole (maybe half?) semester's credit for it I think.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well ours get something like a whole (maybe half?) semester's credit for it I think.

6-12 credits?

Shit.

I'd love to do that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm also doing an internship, but mine is only 40 hours. Maybe thats because I have to write a 12-20 page paper to turn in about a wide variety of stuff. I just did 10-15 hours a week until i was done. Hope everything works out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm also doing an internship, but mine is only 40 hours. Maybe thats because I have to write a 12-20 page paper to turn in about a wide variety of stuff. I just did 10-15 hours a week until i was done. Hope everything works out.

I have 120 hours, plus a 10 page paper... plus a presentation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow that kind of sucks. I guess I am lucky I am doing an internship with a local department and they are nice enough to let me work 15 hours a week for 10 weeks. I am supposed to write a paper towards the end of it (still unsure what to write about) and I get 5 credits.

Good luck with getting some more hours man.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]
ahhhhhh that sucks really bad. Well I'm almost done with my internship and have the paper wraped up. That really sucks that you have 120 hours. Not unless you're getting paid.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ahhhhhh that sucks really bad. Well I'm almost done with my internship and have the paper wraped up. That really sucks that you have 120 hours. Not unless you're getting paid.

No pay.

It'll be interesting to see if I can split the hours between two different places and just reflect it in the paper I write.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah why so many hours? Over how many weeks?
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yeah why so many hours? Over how many weeks?

Thats just what they require.

14 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
they want 120 hours of actual "ride along" time???

Or it that total time you need to spend at the internship? Heck our interns maybe only ride half a dozen times at most during their weeks here. Most time they spend being assigned to different units within the pd learning and helping out where and how they can.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Or it that total time you need to spend at the internship? Heck our interns maybe only ride half a dozen times at most during their weeks here. Most time they spend being assigned to different units within the pd learning and helping out where and how they can.

Oh.

120 hours at the intern place.

They (the college) don't care how those hours are divided up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh.

That makes more sense... I was thinking that's a lot of time in the passenger seat!
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh.

That makes more sense... I was thinking that's a lot of time in the passenger seat!

That's actually not that bad if you think about it, just 10 shifts if they're 12 hours apiece.  When I was doing ride-alongs before I went to the academy, I probably had 500+ hours in the passenger seat.  I loved doing that stuff, of course my ride-alongs I was always allowed to participate in anything but a traffic stop, which there wasn't much for me to do...  Have fun voodoo!
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Bad and Good news.

I got permission from another PD to get at least 80 hours from them, getting a split of 40/80 between two PDs.

Unfortunately, the Professor told me no. No reason given.

I am going to have to go for the bigger PD for all the hours, unfortunately leaving the 40 one behind.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Update;

Got an application for the 'big department', should have *no* problems getting in. They conduct the ride a longs at night. As they put it 'ride till you drop'.

ETA: Application requires 3 forms of ID, and I had to sign various forms making me liable for releasing information etc. The usual, but never 3 forms of photo ID before. Even the NJSP never asked for photo ID for the application process.

I am also doing the other... but no for no credit. Just something else to add onto my resume for experience.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#18]
If you can't get further with the PD in intern hours, what about your county departments if they are close?   Sheriff should be able to provide something similar to get you more hours plus depending on the state many Sheriff depts have other functions, California often has the Sheriff in control of jails as well as coroner's office.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you can't get further with the PD in intern hours, what about your county departments if they are close?   Sheriff should be able to provide something similar to get you more hours plus depending on the state many Sheriff depts have other functions, California often has the Sheriff in control of jails as well as coroner's office.

I have a contact at the Prosecutor's office who said he would be interested in having a intern also.

Problem with NJ, is that Sheriff's don't have any real 'authority', they serve warrants and transport people.

Both wouldn't be available to a 'ride-along'/intern, unless they'd stick me in a desk place all day.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Some hours in the court or PA office is also a good idea.  It is a different perceptive on the same thing and is actually very beneficial.

We allow a ride along when ever someone wants.  They just have to have a deputy that is willing to take them and sign a form.

Unsolicited advice.... Listen much and talk little.  Unless it is to ask a question.  It takes years to get a good handle on the field so there is a lot to be absorbed.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Unsolicited advice.... Listen much and talk little.  Unless it is to ask a question.  It takes years to get a good handle on the field so there is a lot to be absorbed.

I tend to talk very little as it is, and tend to listen.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats man, im totally going that route. ive done 2 ride alongs already and its 10 hours a piece at night.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Update;

I start one ride along next Wednesday. Its actually a mix of a ride along/general internship. One day I ride along, the next I am with narcotics, the next I am going to the shooting range.

The other internship will be primarily ride alongs, with a small mix of 'Office of Emergency Management' work, some events work. The guy said it'll be 120... but it'll be close to 140.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top