Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2007 3:52:54 PM EDT
I'm looking for some new boots, and I'm leaning towards the 5.11 ATAC 8".   Anybody wearing these?  Any other suggestions in the $100 price range?  It's hot and humid here in the summer.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They were cool and comfortable, but they tore up on me quick 3-4 months of daily use they were in worse shape then my 5 year old danners
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the exact boots your looking at.  They are super cool, super light, and relatively durable.  Mine usually last about 8 months (thats about when the insoles start to go).  8 months of daily wear.  I love those boots.  If you replace the insoles then they'll last way longer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The ATAC is an awsome boot. light and comfortable. Currently I'm wearing the 5.11 HRT boot feels like a tennis shoe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I too was thinking of buying a pair of the ATAC's but one thing has stopped me. It doesn't appear as though they are water proof like the other 5.11 boots. I searched their site but couldn't find any mention of them being even water resistant. Those of you that have the ATAC's.....are they or aren't they water proof? If they aren't I'll just go with another pair of HRT's.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 6 month old pair of 5.11 ATAC 8" boots with side zippers.

They are super comfortable, but the heel of em wore out super quick and now the insole is starting to go.

Don't know if I'll replace em with 5.11's or look for something a tad better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear the ATAC Storm (waterproof), the ATAC Shield (waterproof and safety toe), and the Danner Fort Lewis boots for duty 5 days a week.

the ATAC boots are nice, and will last much longer if you rotate them every other or third day.  the Shield model may take a few pair to find some that the safety toe does not rub your foot wrong.

my Danner Fort Lewis boots have been with me for 14yrs now.  been resoled and back to Danner once to replace the Gore-Tex liner in that time frame.

which one's are better?  you do the math.  disposable boots now for 100 bucks, or boots that cost more now but will stretch your dollar over decades.

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wear the ATAC Storm (waterproof), the ATAC Shield (waterproof and safety toe), and the Danner Fort Lewis boots for duty 5 days a week.

the ATAC boots are nice, and will last much longer if you rotate them every other or third day.  the Shield model may take a few pair to find some that the safety toe does not rub your foot wrong.

my Danner Fort Lewis boots have been with me for 14yrs now.  been resoled and back to Danner once to replace the Gore-Tex liner in that time frame.

which one's are better?  you do the math.  disposable boots now for 100 bucks, or boots that cost more now but will stretch your dollar over decades.

Im pretty hard on shoes, I killed my Ft Lewis ones, got the 5.11s, still got one set thats holding together that are used as my "tennis shoes" Going to get another set of FT Lewis when I find them cheap, until then weating my $20 gunshow surplus boots
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im pretty hard on shoes, I killed my Ft Lewis ones, got the 5.11s, still got one set thats holding together that are used as my "tennis shoes" Going to get another set of FT Lewis when I find them cheap, until then weating my $20 gunshow surplus boots

how does one "kill" boots that can be resoled, reconditioned, and/or recrafted by the boot maker?  check Danner's site for the service pricing.

boots like 5.11 have only one life to give.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how does one "kill" boots that can be resoled, reconditioned, and/or recrafted by the boot maker?  check Danner's site for the service pricing.

www.danner.com/images/en_us/local/page_specific/customerservice/banda_supremepair.jpg

+1 Danner makes the best duty boots, period.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to Wally World and buy some of the Herman Survivor's Commanders. For $40 you can't beat 'em. They're waterproof, very comfortable, and hold a shine very well. I buy a pair a year. The old ones go to yard work detail until they fall apart. I love 'em.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.danner.com/images/en_us/local/page_specific/customerservice/banda_supremepair.jpg

I havent seen about having them rebuilt, I still got them, may look into it, they leak now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top