Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:53:52 AM EDT
Is military service dress overkill for a LEO interview?  Or should I just break down and get my first pair of Dockers and a tie.  I am more scarred of looking like a yuppie  j/k
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Who is interviewing YOU???

What kind of interview??

Each agency is differerent for hiring process.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:09:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I really never wanted to wear the dress uniform(never liked to) but since I had it on hand...hell I'd have to get more stripes sewn on anyway.

I'll grab some nice duds.  Thanks.

RDP- I have an interview with the state P&P guys on the 29th.  They said it's only a 10-15 minute deal.  

I take the written with your dept on May 16th.  By the way I don't think I have a chance in hell at getting out early anymore.  Those programs are about over.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If it is a formal interview or oral board, I would wear a suit.

We used to deduct some serious points for appearance. In fact, the appearance alone was a usually a good indicator of success in the interview.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
DON'T wear your dress uniform. You can be rest assured that if you're getting interviewed, they're already aware of your service to our country. First impressions are absolutely vital as they set the tone from then on in your hiring process.....As such you should wear a suit, a good pair of dress shoes, get a haircut, shave, and take off any earrings or ostentatious jewelry. ......Absolutely no sneakers, shorts, T-shirts, or 'business casual' dress (i.e. Dockers). Bottom line is, "How much do you really want this job?"
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
A nice conservative Navy Blue suit.   White shirt, conservative tie, and black shoes and black belt.   KISS  Nothing trendy.   You don't want to be remembered as the guy with the marroon suit and white tie.

As others have said.  Appearance is important.  When you get hired by an agency, Officer Presence(Appearance) is important as well.  

Besides, you can wear your suit to court.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
When I did backgrounds for applicants I always told them to always to wear a suit or a sport coat and tie to the oral boards.  Most brass are image oriented.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A nice conservative Navy Blue suit.   White shirt, conservative tie, and black shoes and black belt.   KISS  Nothing trendy.   You don't want to be remembered as the guy with the marroon suit and white tie.

Exactly.  A good suit is a worthwhile investment anyways.  I always wait for JC Penney's to have a half-off sale, then hit it.  Remember, if it says wrinkle-free, get it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As others have said.  Appearance is important.  When you get hired by an agency, Officer Presence(Appearance) is important as well.  

Just my .02

Perfect answer (substitute grey for navy). Break down and buy one good business suit. It will serve you well. I said grey b/c you can wear it to church, funerals, weddings, interviews, etc.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my .02

Perfect answer (substitute grey for navy). Break down and buy one good business suit. It will serve you well. I said grey b/c you can wear it to church, funerals, weddings, interviews, etc.

Good point.   Regional variations apply as well.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
First interview, always a suit.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Will a suit like these get the job done.

Give me a job or else, you ball busting bastards!

But seriously, thanks for the advice guys.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey what gun does Pacino use in that movie?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#14]
FNC 5.56
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
YESSSSS....
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why do you want to become an officer?

"I told you! because I'm pretty good with a bo staff. Gosh."

www.interstate80.info/grounded/napoleon20.jpg

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#18]
You should go in there in full BDU's, boots, boonie and face paint. That will let them know your serious. A load bearing vest, packed, with a patch that says "Kill Them All, Let God Sort Them Out" will instantly get you on the SWAT team.

Seriously though. Navy or gray suit, tie, polished black shoes and the rest and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You should go in there in full BDU's, boots, boonie and face paint. That will let them know your serious. A load bearing vest, packed, with a patch that says "Kill Them All, Let God Sort Them Out" will instantly get you on the SWAT team.

Seriously though. Navy or gray suit, tie, polished black shoes and the rest and you are good to go.

Speak clearly, make eye contact, listen and think before answering.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Bullcrap on the Class "A" military uniform. You earned the right to wear that uniform. I wore mine to my interview with LAPD and so did a bunch of other service members without a single negative response. Hell, at that time, half the department was military vets. Most of us were hired. Be proud that you served, period!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top